[Southern California Permaculture] "Fruit Trees & Drought" this Saturday Feb 15 at Mesa Harmony Garden!

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Feb 11 11:18:37 PST 2014

CALIFORNIA RARE FRUIT GROWERS - Santa Barbara/Ventura chapter presents...

 FRUIT TREES AND DROUGHT:

How to Encourage Resilient, Drought-Resistant Trees

WHEN: Saturday, February 15th,  10:30 am - 12:30 pm

WHERE: Mesa Harmony Garden, 1740 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara 93109 (enter at corner of Meigs and Dolores)

WHAT: Droughts like the current three-year-long water shortage stress fruit trees. But how you choose, plant and nurture fruit trees can give them their best chance of surviving prolonged droughts.  We will talk about root stocks, basin planting, mulch and living mulches, watering strategies and more.  We also discuss making hard choices and letting go of weak, or water-hog trees, to keep the bulk of your home orchard alive. Let's all do what we can to keep our valuable repository of fruit trees alive until the rains return.

WHO: CRFG Chapter Chair Larry Saltzman will lead our discussion. He’s tending over 300 fruit trees in his backyard food forest, at Mesa Harmony Garden and at Alpha Resource Center orchard.

FEE: Free for members. For non-members, a $3-5 donation is suggested. ($10 membership will give you 1 year free localCRFG events, so why not join?)

DIRECTIONS: Located in the heart of the Mesa district of Santa Barbara, Mesa Harmony Garden is on the corner of Meigs Road and Dolores Drive. From the 101 Freeway, take the Carrillo St. exit and head toward the ocean. Carrillo turns into Meigs Road. Head up and over the hill and turn left on Dolores Drive. Park along the street. The garden is on the corner.

PLEASE BRING:  Folding garden chair or stool, sunhat, water, sunscreen, umbrella or whatever you need to be comfortable. We also appreciate your bringing things to share: scion wood, fruit, plants, baked goods etc.

CONTACT: For more information contact our CRFG chapter media liaison Lauren Hanson liaison Lauren Hanson at lhanson at valleycrest.com or (818) 737-2607 or cell (562) 243-9061; or chapter president Larry Saltzman at saltzmanforest at gmail.com or (805) 451-4168

PLEASE REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR 2014 CHAPTER DUES!

Please pay $10 at the February meeting or mail your $10 check (payable to CRFG SB/Ventura) to Roland Messori,  355 Sierra Vista Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93108. Once you are a member, CRFG  meetings are FREE!