[Southern California Permaculture] TODAY : Feb 19 noon Forum on Ag Issues/ How Can Farm Policy Make Us Healthy? Santa Barbara

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Feb 19 06:49:53 PST 2014

February Community Forum:
How Can Farm Policy Make Us Healthy?
Wednesday, Feb. 19, noon-2 p.m.
Louise Lowry Center, 1232 De la Vina St

Hi - Please come to the Agriculture Forum sponsored by the League of Women Voters next week, Feb, 19.  See the  section below this note about the Forum from the new February League Newsletter. Scroll down to the title: February Community Forum: How Can Farm Policy Make Us Healthy?  I felt this would interest you in your work arena.  I hope you can attend.

Agriculture issues have it all, it seems:  dilemmas over land uses, big economic impacts, water problems, big effects on our climate, on our workforce, huge effects on our diet/hunger and our personal and public health/diseases.  (Think pesticides, for one thing.) The issues around agriculture in our county touch us all deeply.  This week, our U.S. Congress will pass a monster bill it debates every five years-the Farm Bill. The wrangling has been going on for two  years this time. Watch for it in the news.

So the League of Women Voters is sponsoring a Forum on Feb. 19 to help educate us on some of the key issues. We have 3 outstanding speakers to discuss farming impacts on society and the planet (David Cleveland, UCSB prof.), SB  County crops and the government programs that affect them (Cathy Fisher, Ag Commissioner) and one of our beloved regional organic farmers on how he is surviving in this business of agriculture (John Givens, farm owner /manager).

I thought you would be interested, as your work is so relevant to our  Agriculture issues.
Please come and/or send a colleague. Please pass this along to others, as you see fit.

To your health -
 Susan Horne, Health Educator
805-962-2415