[Southern California Permaculture] OUR LAND: A SYMPOSIUM ON FARMLAND ACCESS IN THE 21ST CENTURY APRIL 26 + 27 TH, 2014Berkeley CA

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Mar 27 08:49:26 PDT 2014

OUR LAND: A SYMPOSIUM ON FARMLAND ACCESS IN THE 21ST CENTURY APRIL 26 + 27 TH, 2014 www.agrariantrust.org/symposium
In the next two decades 400 million acres of U.S. farmland will change
hands. Will that land be consolidated into larger holdings and treated as a commodity or investment asset? Or will it prove the foundation for a new business, a next-generation farmer, a passionate entrepreneur? Join us for a weekend program to tackle the historical context, long-range implications and economic impact, and stewardship potential of the transition ahead.
APRIL 26 + 27 TH, 2014
EVENING PLENARY:
April 26th, 6 PM
Wheeler Hall, UC Berkeley campus
David vs. Goliath: Wes Jackson, The Land Institute
Land Grab: Anuradha Mittal, Oakland Institute
Revitalizing Land and Community through Urban Agriculture:
Gayle McLaughlin, Mayor of Richmond, CA
Doria Robinson, Urban Tilth
With introductions by Severine v T Fleming, Agrarian Trust

DAY-LONG SYMPOSIUM/TEACH-IN:
April 27th, 9:30 AM-5 PM
The David Brower Center, Berkeley CA
full speaker bios available here
The Future of Family Farming
Joel Salatin, Polyface Farm, Virginia
introduced by Severine v T Fleming, Agrarian Trust
Land Reform: On the table
Eric Holt-Gimenez, Food First, Oakland CA
Raj Patel, Stuffed and Starved, San Francisco CA
Practical Solutions: New Economics
Sjoerd Wartena, Terre de Liens, France
Kathy Ruhf, Land for Good, NH
Reggie Knox, California Farmlink, Santa Cruz
Agrarian Principles: Historical Context
Elizabeth Henderson, Peaceworks Farm/Agricultural Justice Project, New York
Gary Nabhan, Author/Professor, Arizona

Discussion moderated by:
Dave Henson, Occidental Arts and Ecology Center
Evening Event: Reception and Screening of “The Last Crop” by Chuck Schultz // Sponsored by Vital Systems CA
5:30 pm @ Vital Systems CA (a short walk from the Brower Center)
“The Last Crop” is a tribute to farmers Annie and Jeff Main, and other small family farmers, whose lifelong work has changed our food system for the better. It is a CALL TO ACTION to ensure that our nation’s fertile farmland will be affordable to our next generation of such farmers.
www.agrariantrust.org/symposium