[Southern California Permaculture] BAN FRACKING IN SANTA BARBARA: Details Events Dates Sat&Sun April 5&6

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Apr 4 11:14:21 PDT 2014

<http://dmanalytics1.com/e3ds/mail_link.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbcountywaterguardians.org%2F&i=0&d=XU0537Z8-U5Z8-4356-Y666-73868916428Y&e=margie@sbpermaculture.org>http://www.sbcountywaterguardians.org/
Calling all Santa Barbara County residents who love clean water and fresh air!
To Ban Fracking (etc.) in Santa Barbara County, find the kick-off
event nearest you...

Santa Barbara kick-off:
Saturday, April 5 from 10-11 AM in Alameda Park, near Sola and Anacapa.
10AM: Assemblymember Das Williams will speak
10:30AM: We will offer a brief training on how to gather valid
signatures, and how to register people to vote.
10:45AM: We will hand out petitioning materials, including awesome t-shirts!
11AM: We will divide up into our regional teams (SB, Carp, SBCC and
Goleta) for introductions and petitioning assignments/sign-ups.

UCSB kick-off:
Saturday, April 5: Details TBD by our awesome UCSB team very soon.
Contact Corrie Ellis if you want to be sure to be invited to this!
<mailto:corrieellis at gmail.com>corrieellis at gmail.com

North County Kick-off:
Sunday, April 6 at 1:30 at 104 South "H" Street. Refreshments and fun
to be had!
1:30 Informational presentation on our Healthy Air and Water
Initiative to Ban Fracking
1:45 Distribute petitioning materials and awesome t-shirts to our
awesome volunteers.
2:00 Sign up for petitioning times and places, to maximize our productivity.
2:15 Brief training on how to gather valid signatures, and how to
register people to vote. (For those who have not yet attended.)
See you at one or all! Remember, this is the part we CAN control. We
can't control how much money they spend against us, or how many lies
they tell in the local media. But we ABSOLUTELY can work our tails
off to get onto the ballot!! LET'S DO THIS SB COUNTY!!!
Also, if you are unable to attend one of our petition trainings,
please join me for a conference call training session this Wednesday night, 8PM
Dial-in Number: (712) 432-1212
Meeting ID: 912-335-030
PIN: 3097

Onward!
Rebecca
(805) 865-2231
Read our initiative or sign up to volunteer here: SB County Water Guardians
<http://dmanalytics1.com/e3ds/mail_link.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbcountywaterguardians.org%2F&i=0&d=XU0537Z8-U5Z8-4356-Y666-73868916428Y&e=margie@sbpermaculture.org>http://www.sbcountywaterguardians.org/
"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared
impossible before they were done." Louis D. Brandeis

Santa Barbara County is under threat from extreme oil extraction.

Oil companies have identified thousands upon thousands of potential
drill locations across our region -- from Santa Maria to Carpinteria.

This is not the conventional oil that we've been drilling for a
hundred years. The only way to extract this oil is through the use of
extreme techniques like fracking, acidization and steam injection.
Join the fight to ban these dangerous techniques and protect our
water, air, health and climate.

This is not the conventional oil that we've been drilling for a
hundred years. The only way to extract this oil is through the use of
extreme extraction techniques including:
    * Fracking: This technique involves injecting water, sand and
chemicals underground to break up rock and extract oil and gas. The
practice has been halted or banned in 12 states due to water
contamination issues, earthquakes and other problems.

    * Acidization: This is similar to fracking, but instead of
breaking up the rock, it uses hydrochloric and hydrofloric acid to
melt the rock. According to the Centers for Disease Control,
hydrofloric acid is one of the most toxic chemicals in industrial
use. The CDC lists it as a potential chemical weapon. The United
Steelworkers want its use phased out of oil refineries entirely,
calling it a risk too great for the steelworkers and the 26 million
Americans living near refineries.
    * Steam Injection: This water-intensive process involves
steam-heating oil to 500 degrees to get it out of the ground. It is
the most energy-intensive form of oil production and is linked to
groundwater contamination. For instance, a recent 1+ million liter
spill in Cold Lake, Canada contaminated a lake and aquifer. In the
Orcutt oil field near Santa Maria, there have been 94 unexpected oil
"seeps". Sometimes it comes up in
"<http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/128047113.html>violent
eruptions." In one case, a California oil worker was sucked into the
ground and boiled alive. In another case, polluted water leached into
groundwater and killed millions of dollars of almond orchards.

We must protect our County by placing a ban on these extreme
extraction techniques.

Oil production generates very few jobs and puts stresses on the rest
of our economy. Industrial oil production tends to crowd other things
out. It competes with agriculture for land and water. It creates
blight that discourages tourism and technology. It can negatively
affect the value of adjacent properties and farms. It increases
asthma and other chronic health problems, raising costs and crowding
in health care facilities.

<http://www.sbcountywaterguardians.org/join-us>Join our campaign to
qualify our initiative for the November 2014
election<http://www.sbcountywaterguardians.org/whats-at-stake#>.

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.