[Southern California Permaculture] NEW BOOK Power from the People How to Organize, Finance, and Launch Local Energy Projects by Greg Pahl

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Apr 17 00:11:39 PDT 2014

NEW BOOK Power from the People
How to Organize, Finance, and Launch Local Energy Projects
by Greg Pahl

Foreword by Van Jones

"Greg Pahl's Power from the People is an inspirational guide to the burgeoning community-power movement. His case studies of people who are making a difference are often tales of endurance and survival, but also powerful testaments to the human spirit. Bravo to Pahl and Power from the People for explaining how feed-in tariffs have produced a community-power revolution in Europe and how they can do the same here in North America."
—Paul Gipe, author of Wind Power, advocate, and renewable energy industry analyst

More than ninety percent of the electricity we use to light our communities, and nearly all the energy we use to run our cars, heat our homes, and power our factories comes from large, centralized, highly polluting, nonrenewable sources of energy.

It doesn’t have to be that way. In Power from the People, energy expert Greg Pahl explains how American communities can plan, finance, and produce their own local, renewable energy that is reliable, safe, and clean.

Pahl uses examples from around the nation and the world to explore how homeowners, co-ops, nonprofits, governments, and businesses are already putting power in the hands of local communities through distributed energy programs and energy-efficiency measures.

Renewable, community power is a necessary step on the path to energy security and community resilience, particularly as we face peak oil, cope with climate change, and address the need to transition to a more sustainable future.

This book—the second in the Chelsea Green Publishing Company and Post Carbon Institute’s Community Resilience Series (http://www.resilience.org/guides)—also profiles numerous communitywide initiatives that can be replicated and scaled broadly.

About the Author

Greg Pahl
Greg Pahl is the author of numerous books on energy and also writes for Mother Earth News and various other publications on biodiesel, wind power, wood heat, solar energy, heat pumps, electric cars, and a wide range of other topics related to living in a post-carbon world.

His books include Biodiesel: Growing a New Energy Economy (2005, Chelsea Green), Natural Home Heating: The Complete Guide to Renewable Energy Options (2003, Chelsea Green), The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Saving the Environment (2001, Macmillan/Alpha Books), and The Unofficial Guide to Beating Debt (2000, IDG Books).

Pahl has been involved in environmental issues for more than twenty-five years. In the 1970s he lived off the grid in a home in Vermont with a wind turbine atop an 80-foot tower that provided for his electrical needs. He is a founding member of the Vermont Biofuels Association as well as the Acorn Renewable Energy Co-op. Pahl attended the University of Vermont and was a military intelligence officer in the US Army during the Vietnam War.

He lives in Weybridge, Vermont....http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/power_from_the_people#