[Southern California Permaculture] MHG - FREE MALLOW!!! Sat May 3rd

Hugh Kelly hkelly at talk21.com
Thu May 1 22:22:37 PDT 2014

COME AND HELP YOURSELF TO AS MUCH MALLOW AS YOU WANT

Join us between 9am to 1pm on Saturday for our regular Volunteer Work-party
- and take this opportunity to find out if it is true that this plant has
culinary and herbal benefits as some people claim.

If what we have growing is in fact common mallow, then according to
Wikipedia it is also known as cheeseplant, and "although often considered a
weed, this plant is often consumed as a food". Apparently it is highly
prized in Morocco where Mallow Salad with Preserved Lemon and Olives is
known as Khoubiza or Bakoula. Some sources indicate that this plant is
traditionally used as a herbal medicine.

Unfortunately, if we let our mallow harvest keep growing any more than it
already has, we won't be able to get through it to harvest all those juicy
peaches and nectarines that will soon be ripe for the picking, so we're
being forced to give away all the mallow to whoever wants to help
themselves. You just pull it out by the roots, and there you have it. Any
leftover mallow will be added to our compost pile, and will eventually help
with our project to grow great fruit for donation to the Food Bank.

Please come and support the Mesa Community's very own food forest to feed
the hungry.

Thanks for all your support.

Hugh

Hugh Kelly