[Southern California Permaculture] Thur May 15/FREE/“Growing Cities” Urban Farming Film/ 7:00-8:30pm

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon May 12 13:24:31 PDT 2014

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network is a
co-sponsor of this film event, please join us! (abundant details below)
Emacs!

Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery
Thursday, May 15, 7:00-8:30pm FREE

<https://www.facebook.com/events/1429811153934114/?source=1>https://www.facebook.com/events/1429811153934114/?source=1

Growing Cities is an inspiring documentary about
urban farming in America. At a time when so much
negative attention is paid to the food system,
this film tells the stories of city-dwellers who
are transforming their communities--one vacant
lot, backyard beehive, and rooftop farm at a time.

Sponsors: Community Environmental Council, Food
Bank of Santa Barbara County, Orfalea
Foundation’s School Food Initiative, Santa
Barbara Food Alliance, Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network, and the Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens.

Film trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSlkAB8cBo

Community sponsors of the film will be available
after the screening to answer questions about
urban farming, community gardens, access to healthy food, and more.

Sponsors for the film represents a network of
community groups who work to improve SB
County’s  food system: the Community
Environmental Council (which addresses pressing
environmental issues and encourages people to eat
local food); the Food Bank of Santa Barbara
County (which is ending hunger and changing the
health of Santa Barbara County); the Orfalea
Foundation’s School Food Initiative (which
empowers school districts to offer nourishing
school meals); the Santa Barbara Food Alliance-
(advocates for a resilient, local food system);
the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network (ongoing
events & programs for the community with a focus
on ecological design & sustainability); and the
Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
(an urban farm producing local food crops
available to the public at their farm stand & CSA
program, while offering educational programs & classes).

According to the film’s producers, “Growing
Cities is a film about urban farming in America.
At a time when so much negative attention is paid
to the food system — from mad cows to factory
farms — this film tells the stories of
city-dwellers who are transforming their communities one
vacant lot, backyard beehive, and rooftop farm at
a time. Along the way these growers show that the
urban farming movement is about much more than
just the calories we consume and that everyone
can take part in creating a healthier, more just,
and sustainable food system.”

The Food Literacy Manager for the Orfalea
Foundation’s School Food Initiative, Melissa
Fontaine, encourages anyone curious about local
food or gardening to attend this screening.
Fontaine said, “I hope people will come, sit
back, relax, and enjoy the show — and then go
home and plant a tomato. Santa Barbara County is
very fortunate to have agricultural land, and
this movie will inspire people to take part in
their local food system in a way that benefits
our farmers, our health, and our environment. It
also happens to be fun and delicious.”

Many film festivals included this film in their
selection for 2014, including: Wild and Scenic,
Portland Film Festival, Flagstaff Mountain Film
Festival, Princeton Film Festival, and more.

More info available on SBPN Website:
   www.sbpermaculture.org,

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.