[Southern California Permaculture] FRUIT TREES AND DROUGHT: How to Encourage Resilient, Drought-Resistant Fruit Trees

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 17:45:24 PDT 2014

Sweetwater Collaborative presents a free community educational event:
FRUIT TREES AND DROUGHT: How to Encourage Resilient, Drought-Resistant Fruit Trees
Monday, July 21, 7:00-8:30pm, Westside Neighborhood Center, 423 W. Victoria Street, Santa Barbara CA 93101
Local Permaculture designer, orchard dry farmer and CA Rare Fruit Growers’ Chapter Chair Larry Saltzman will lead our discussion. He’s tending over 300 fruit trees in his backyard food forest, at Mesa Harmony Garden and at Alpha Resource Center orchard.Droughts like the current three-year-long water shortage stress fruit trees. But how you choose, plant and nurture fruit trees can give them their best chance of surviving prolonged droughts. We will talk about root stocks, basin planting, mulch and living mulches, watering strategies and more. We also discuss making hard choices and letting go of weak, or water-hog trees, to keep the bulk of your home orchard alive. Let's all do what we can to keep our valuable repository of fruit trees alive until the rains return.
Please share your success stories or challenges with fruit trees during this drought.
For more information, please contact Barbara Wishingrad at info at sweetwatercollaborative.org or 805-403-4566

Let's celebrate, that along with all our challenges, acts of kindness
in little and big ways are always happening on our shared planet ....