[Southern California Permaculture] Drought Action Forum TODAY, 6pm

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Aug 4 09:24:34 PDT 2014

Drought Action Forum- TODAY
Aug. 4, 6:00-8:00 pm
Louise Lowry Davis Center, 1232 De La Vina St., Santa Barbara

You are invited to the Drought Action Forum led by the Sweetwater Collaborative to team up for action! Our task is to lead Santa Barbara to adapt to our local water cycles, starting with the current severe drought.  Please pass this invitation onto other interested parties.

Here's what is lined up so far:

• Aquanuestra group--empowering the Spanish speaking and marginalized communities to get through the drought--by providing information and a forum to share their perspectives, by re-training gardeners to work in drought conditions, and more.
• The Water Harvesting Technical Workgroup, with Art Ludwig.
• The "Boots on the Ground" Strategy Teams will begin defining what we need to actually do to sharply reduce our water use.
• The "Working Together" Collaboration Teams will begin defining what we need to do to work together effectively.
• The "Big Picture" Sustainability Teams will begin defining what we need to do to make it economically and ecologically sustainable.

After two very short presentations by the facilitators of the Water Harvesting Technical Workgroup, and Aquanuestra we will form small focus circles of 5-10 people to creatively explore action possibilities.

If you have a focus you’d like to propose, please reply to Barbara Wishingrad at 805-403-4566 or bwishingrad at gmail.com. You may also propose a group at the Forum. Some other ideas that have been proposed are the ins-and-outs of desal, and the practical and emotional challenges of replacing lawns.

There are so many possibilities when we come together as a community. Connect with others, connect with your ideals, and connect with our natural world.

For more information contact Barbara Wishingrad at 805-403-4566 or bwishingrad at gmail.com

--

Madeline Ward
Acting Water Conservation Coordinator