[Southern California Permaculture] Quail Springs Fall Calendar - Land Restoration, Aquaponics, and Permaculture Design Courses

Quail Springs Permaculture info at quailsprings.org
Mon Aug 4 12:21:23 PDT 2014

 FALL 2014 CALENDAR

Introduction to Permaculture Weekend

September 26-28, 2014

register online here

With Brenton Kelly and Lindsay Allen, Quail Springs' Farm Managers and Land Stewards

This weekend will immerse you in Permaculture living and learning at Quail Springs' permaculture farm and community.  We will cover the ethics and principles of Permaculture and strategies for implementation. You will leave this course with many examples of Permaculture in action and an understanding of how you can integrate permaculture into your home, farm, apartment or business.

Brenton Kelly has over 25 years experience in soil building, gardening, non-toxic land management and animal husbandry. He co-owned Island Seed and Feed in Goleta for 10 years before joining the Quail Springs team, and has taught thousands of folks about pastured poultry, bees, worms, vegetables, and more!

 Lindsay Allen joined the Quail Springs team in 2012 after making the long trek across the country from her Massachusetts home. Before coming to Quail Springs she worked in organic farming and Permaculture in Massachusetts, Illinois, East Africa and Panama. She is currently co- managing the farm, helping to facilitate courses at Quail Springs, and is also the permaculture advisor for the non-profit FoodWaterShelter in Tanzania. These days, Lindsay is enjoying teaching and sharing the wonderful world of permaculture farming with others.

Course webpage: www.quailsprings.org/introduction-to-permaculture-workshop/
Contact: Lindsay Allen - email lindsay at quailsprings.org or call 805-886-7239

Land Restoration Training

October 2-5, 2014

register online here

With Craig Sponholtz, Watershed Artisans, Inc.
and Brenton Kelly, Quail Springs Farm Director & Land Steward

Craig Sponholtz's courses are a must. I was very impressed with the thoroughness, hands-on learning, and Craig's deep knowledge - based on years of real-life experiences. The strategies taught are simple and effective. They build on natural patterns so you work with natural processes not against them. This way nature does the bulk of the work once the structures are in place. I highly recommend these courses for anyone working with the land and water.

~ Brad Lancaster, author of Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond

This 4 day Project-Based Land Restoration Training offers hands-on experience in the assessment, design and construction of an on-going land restoration project and an intensive immersion and experiential training in:

Reading the landscape and make informed decisions
Recognizing the symptoms and causes of degraded land
Identifying regenerative natural processes
Understanding how humans effect and are affected by the landscape
Designing resilient solutions for landscape problems
Understanding management options for degraded land
Healing degraded land by harvesting runoff
Deciding what is doable and what should be done first
Planning and preparing to complete a successful project
Maintaining a project and ensure its long-term success

Craig Sponholtz founded Dryland Solutions, Inc. in 2003, renamed Watershed Artisans, Inc. in 2014, and continues to design and implement watershed restoration projects throughout the Southwest.  Craig spent a decade expanding his knowledge of landscape processes by working throughout the western U.S. with the USDA Forest Service, and has a Masters Degree in Agro-Ecological Restoration. Craig has had comprehensive training in numerous stream and wetland restoration methods including natural channel design and induced meandering and continuously learns new techniques to incorporate into his work and teaching.  Craig teaches land and watershed restoration, passive water harvesting and erosion control techniques internationally and strives to foster beneficial relationships between people and the watersheds they live in by sharing the practical trials, tribulations and insights of his own work.  Craig has used two decades of hands-on experience and numerous collaborations with masters in the field to develop must-know principles that ensure water-related projects are practical, economically viable and harmonious with natural processes.

Course webpage: www.quailsprings.org/land-restoration-training/
Contact: Kolmi Majumdar - email info at quailsprings.org  or call 805-886-7239

 Applied Aquaponics Course

October 17-19, 2014

With David Rosenstein, Chair of the Aquaponics Association, and Founder of Evo Farm, Los Angeles, California

We are excited to be offering this in-depth course on aquaponics, the synthesis of hydroponics and aquaculture.  The course promises to empower students to build their own aquaponic systems at their homes and in their communities, and is appropriate for anyone interested in aquaponics.

We're inspired about our process of adding aquaponics to our diverse strategy for food production and foodshed resiliency here at Quail Springs.  We continue to be committed to regenerative soil practices, and traditional sustainable farming methods, as we bring in new technologies like aquaponics that contribute to our ability to reliably produce food in our challenging high desert growing conditions.

Time will be split between the classroom and the greenhouse.  In the classroom we will delve into answering, "Why aquaponics?"  We will gain insight into the science and technical aspects of aquaponics, and see aquaponic production through a Permaculture lens: design, biomimicry, patterns, integration.  We will then move on to hands-on time in the greenhouse with specific aquaponic techniques including IBC tote tanks and media beds, deep water culture and nutrient film technique. Students will learn which techniques are right for their situation and see methods of integrating other systems such as mushrooms, worms, insectaries, and compost-tea brewing.

David Rosenstein, a third- generation Angelino, began construction of the EVO Farm prototype just days before his first child was born as an act of optimism. Prior to launching into urban farming, David produced a number of socially conscious documentary films mostly for PBS. After years of research and travel he began to understand the critical nature of rethinking what we eat, how we produce it and how we access that food. The pursuit of the urban farming life is a natural progression for him- from producing 'food for thought' to producing thoughtful food. David is Chair of the Aquaponics Association - Western Region. He also Chairs the committee on Urban Agriculture for the Los Angeles Food Policy Council.

Course webpage: www.quailsprings.org/applied-aquaponics-course/
  Contact for info or to register: Andrew Clinard- email andrew at quailsprings.org   or call 805-886-7239

Permaculture Design Certification Course

October 25 - November 8, 2014

register online here
early bird discount for registration by August 20th

with Warren Brush, co-founder of Quail Springs Permaculture, True Nature Design, and Casitas Valley Farm, with a team of Quail Springs' instructors and special guest speakers

Immerse yourself in permaculture in action with this 14-day learning journey!
Share in the joy of community learning together and changing the world.
Take home the ability to design and apply natural principles to create stable and resilient systems that provide food, water, shelter and energy needs while regenerating ecology, community and economy.
The grassroots Permaculture movement promotes effective methodologies for attaining sustainability.

This 14-day course includes the internationally recognized 72-hr Permaculture Design Certification through Permaculture Research Institute.

Course Topics include:
Small Scale Food Production - Integrated Pest Mgmt - Composting - Tree Planting - Water Harvesting - Greywater Systems - Compost Toilet Systems - Natural Building - Earthworks - Watershed Restoration  - Appropriate Technology - Beekeeping -BioEngineering - Alternative Economics  - Livestock Care - Goat Milking - Pastured Poultry - Cheese Making - Bread Baking - Saving the Harvest - Community Building - Nature Awareness

Permaculture is a conscious integrated design system based on ecology and sustainability principles to create resource efficient and productive human environments and reduce our footprint on the earth.  Permaculture provides a framework for consciously designed landscapes that mimic the patterns and relationships found in nature that provide diversity, stability, and resilience. These systems yield an abundance of shelter, water, energy, and food for the provision of local needs.

Warren Brush is a certified Permaculture designer and teacher as well as a mentor and storyteller. He has worked for over 25 years in inspiring people of all ages to discover, nurture and express their inherent gifts while living in a sustainable manner.  He is co-founder of Quail Springs Permaculture, Casitas Valley Farm, Regenerative Earth Farms,  Wilderness Youth Project, and his Permaculture design company, True Nature Design.  He works extensively in Permaculture education and sustainable systems design in North America, Africa, Middle East, Europe, and Australia. He has devoted many years to mentoring youth and adults to inspire and equip them to live in a sustainable manner with integrity and a hopeful outlook.  Warren leads the facilitation and instruction of this Permaculture Design Course and collaborates with a team of Quail Springs' instructors as well as special guest speakers.  He is registered as a teacher of permaculture with the Permaculture Research Institute of Australia.

Course webpage: www.quailsprings.org/permaculture-design-certification-course/
Contact: Kolmi Majumdar - email info at quailsprings.org    or call 805-886-7239

Quail Springs welcomes charitable contributions any time of
year to support education programs and land stewardship.
Please learn more about donating here,
and thank you for considering a tax-deductible contribution.

Quail Springs Permaculture is nonprofit organization dedicated to demonstrating and teaching holistic ways of designing human environments, restoring and revitalizing the land and community, and facilitating deeper understandings of ourselves and one another through immersive experiences in nature.

Quail Springs Permaculture
www.quailsprings.org