[Southern California Permaculture] Drought Policy Forum, Mon Sept. 22 1-3 pm: Preliminary Report/Santa Barbara

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Sep 18 12:17:43 PDT 2014

<http://sweetwatercollaborative.org>
[]
<http://sweetwatercollaborative.org>

Drought Policy Forum
Monday September 22 from 1-3 pm
Franklin Neighborhood Center, 1136 Montecito St., Santa Barbara

Sweetwater Collaborative has been researching
relevant questions in preparation for the Drought
Policy Forum we are hosting next week. We have
been collaborating with environmental educators,
landscape professionals, policy advisors,
government workers, and non-profit leaders to ask
important questions about practical drought
adaptation and long-term water system alternatives, including desal.

<http://sweetwatercollaborative.org/sites/default/files/Exploring%20Our%20Options.pdf>Read
our report that summarizes the preliminary results of that research.

Our purpose in developing this preliminary report
is not to present an authoritative final
statement. It is rather to lay groundwork and
pose questions that initiate community dialogue
and collaborative action to adapt to our climate
conditions. We welcome your contributions and critiques.

Contents
Key Findings
Executive Summary
Introduction
Australian Drought
Water Conservation Policies
Community-wide Rainwater Harvesting Programs
Water Purchases
Groundwater Recharge
Seawater Desalination
Water Reuse
Effects of Climate Fluctuations and Disruption
Collaborative Water Management
Conclusion

Appendix A: Questions Raised
Appendix B: How Desal Figures Were Calculated

Key Findings

• Australia's recent 13-year drought shows that
people with a similar climate and standard of
living to ours can live well using 44% less water
than we consume in California.
• A rate structure which allots modest rates for
basic household water needs, with sufficiently
increased rates beyond that level effectively reduces water use by 30-50%.
• Over 50% of water consumption is used for
landscapes. Switching from lawns and lush
temperate or tropical plantings to native or
Mediterranean plantings, combined with onsite
rainwater harvesting and greywater reuse can cut
landscape water use by 70% or more.
• State water market purchases are a potential
bridge across drought years to wet years, though
pricing, supply, and transport uncertainties must be resolved.
• Groundwater recharge from stormwater through
infiltration basins and on-site rainwater
infiltration requires more study for Santa Barbara communities.
• Desalination provides a steady, reliable supply
of water, independent of weather conditions, but
carries high economic, energy, environmental, and political costs and risks.
• It is likely possible to use Santa Barbara's
desalination plant to recycle wastewater at lower
economic, energy, and environmental cost than
desalination, but technical uncertainties require
more study and regulatory uncertainties will take more time.
• Future local climate patterns may change
significantly from what we have experienced in the past.
• The complexity and uncertainty of the drought
crisis lends itself to a Collaborative Water Management approach.
• Critical questions require more focused
investigation. Promising solutions require pilot
projects to validate. Solutions validated by
pilot projects require implementation.

No one doubts we are in a serious drought crisis.
None of us knows how long it will last. We should
therefore be prepared for all possibilities. It
may be that we do not have enough water. But it
may be more true that we unnecessarily use more water than we have.

Fortunately, it turns out we have quite a good
set of options. If we promptly and methodically
investigate and evaluate them, develop a
reasonable strategy and plan, run pilot projects
to determine what works best, then decisively
commit the appropriate resources to implementing
what proves most effective, we will successfully
and cost-effectively adapt to our current and future climate conditions.

The most effective way to do so is to
collaboratively engage the knowledge, skills, and
capacities of as many key stakeholders as
possible.
<http://sweetwatercollaborative.org/sites/default/files/Exploring%20Our%20Options.pdf>This
report and the Drought Policy Forum on Sept. 22
are part of that process. Please join us and
bring your abilities and resources to the task at hand. Thank you.

Sweetwater Collaborative

<sweetwatercollaborative.htm>sweetwatercollaborative.org

<mailto:info at sweetwatercollaborative.org>info at sweetwatercollaborative.org

If you would like to unsubscribe, please click
here:

1626 San Pascual
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
United States