[Southern California Permaculture] Margie's Thoughts on Fracking/& Sunset Magazine Article

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon Nov 3 18:50:27 PST 2014

Fracking!  Margie's thoughts, better late than
never, been traveling away from home, apologies
for late input & storytelling, Measure P still
being decided by some, so I share...

I was a teenager when the entire Santa Barbara
Channel turned from blue to black in just a few
days.  Rushing to the seashore to take a look, I
saw waves too heavy to crest, they simply slumped
with the heaviness of our particularly thick
crude oil.  My dog ran into the surf, as clueless
as I was to the unimaginable implications of what
had occurred, and was immediately covered in oil,
destroying my car's interior as I frantically
tried to get him home to clean up.  The dolphins,
fish, seals, turtles, pelicans, birds and all the
other wildlife in the Channel weren't so lucky,
they simply perished in a suffocating sea of
oil.  It was a simple cost saving measure on
Platform A that allowed the unimaginable to happen.
[]

Even now I wonder how we let that happen with an
unregulated offshore industry of those times,
somehow trusting the industry to be smart and
responsible. Tourism, currently the largest
industry in the world, was also Santa Barbara's
primary economy at the time, hotels, restaurants,
businesses wondering if they would survive.  A
fishing industry in peril, can you imagine the
panic people felt?  Residents contemplated
plummeting home values, as we saw a ruined and smelly environment.

Now we face a similar scenario with fracking,
acidizing, and steam injection, all fairly new
technologies currently not that well regulated.
In a heartbeat, with human error, or one bad cost
saving decision, or maybe even nature pitching in
with a major earthquake that would shatter any
cement casing, a similar catastrophes could happen.

Americans are a creative and innovative
people!  As the program coordinator for the SBCC
Center for Sustainability for the past 3 years, I
developed a City as the Solution series that
highlighted people and communities around the
world moving into the 21st century with fantastic
new technologies that are working now.  We
encouraged our students with speakers, many young
like themselves, already successful
entrepreneurs, to think about becoming the
innovators, asking "Who will be the innovators for the 21st Century"?

Most of our current technologies are dated, rely
on COMBUSTION to create energy.  When you combust
a material, whether in a car engine or nuclear
power plant, you create emissions, particulate
matter, waste.  Nature very seldom uses this
model to create energy, except to destruct, take
things apart.  All emissions, whether you worry
about climate disruption or not, ultimately end
up in your lungs as you breathe the air around
you, it goes into your bloodstream, from your
bloodstream into your kidneys to be cleaned---no
one, rich or poor escapes this  reality.  It's
time to challenge ourselves to something better,
as others around the world are doing, not get
left behind just because we are too stubborn to
move forward with new technologies, money making
enterprises that have both the humans and environment in mind.

Since we have a population particularly devoted
to the "good life" with love of wine, gorgeous
views; celebrities, millionaires, billionaires
claiming Santa Barbara as their own personal
paradise, the so called "American Riviera", I
wonder how even with enormous monetary gain, we
would risk losing this jewel. We have been
protected for a long time, I think why we are a
bit complacent, we don't see the oil wells and
fields of former times.  We seem to think Santa
Barbara is blessed solely on it's own merits, not
realizing it was some amazing citizen activists
who worked so hard to protect and make our
community look different from just about anywhere
else in Southern California.

<http://www.stopthefrackattack.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Screen-Shot-2014-04-08-at-1.58.26-PM.png>
Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 1.58.26 PM

Southern California oilfields

I just returned from the Southwest, Colorado, New
Mexico and Utah.  The skies in Utah where my
grandparents farmed and ranched are not the
brilliant blue they used to be, smudged with
subtle haze that never goes away.  Spills in
Colorado where my grandkids live have resulted in
ground water & aquifer contamination with deadly
chemicals like benzene, toluene, xylene,
ethyl-benzene, that citizens are now drinking.

On a narrow two lane scenic highway in Utah near
the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, we
were almost flattened by a large semi bearing
down on our car as we slowed to pull over for a
gorgeous view.  I laugh when I think of the irony
of an environmentalist since the 6th grade,
ending life this way.   We counted over 12 large
semi's coming and going with fracking chemicals
in and oil trucked out to a refinery nearby on
this small road lacking guard rails in just one hour.

The environment, the economy, frame it any way
you want, but remember, like State Water that we
were encouraged to vote for in the
1990's,  touted as the ultimate solution to all
our water problems, it may not work out the way
you hoped, and you may be answering to a future
population for your decision.  I wonder if we
would all be willing to put our votes on a slip
of paper, bury it in our backyards where our kids
or grandkids can dig up in the future.  Instead
of "Daddy, what did you do in the war" of
previous generations, maybe we will be asked what
you did you do to secure a sustainable future for us all?

7000 fracking pad permits, going to international
corporations and shareholders!  what will they
look like, where will they be located?  Will
Santa Barbara county receive any compensation for
hosting this oil frenzy?   Santa Barbara has been
protected for the last 45 years since the oil
spill in 1969, we can't imagine what these
thousands of fracking pads would look like on our
very thin corridor between the mountains and the
sea, or on our farm and ranch lands to the north.

14 states have all but banned or restricted
fracking, awaiting the onset of safeguards and
firm regulatory foundations. In sharp contrast
with other energy-rich states, California has
veritably no regulatory framework in place for hydraulic fracturing.

Do you love wine?  Great article in Sunset magazine, April 2014 issue:
Sunset

The Future of Fracking in California

Barry Yeoman
<http://www.sunset.com/travel/california/fracking>http://www.sunset.com/travel/california/fracking

Billions of barrels of oil lie in the Monterey
Shale. The windfall from tapping into that deeply
buried cache could be mind-blowing – so could the damage.

<http://www.sunset.com/travel/california/fracking?width=500px&height=500px&title=%0A%20%20%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22field-caption%22%3E%0A%20%20%20%20The%20Getzelmans%20want%20a%20reliable%20water%20supply%20for%20their%20vineyard.%20%20%3C/div%3E%0A%0A%20%20%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22field-credit%22%3E%0A%20%20%20%20Dave%20Lauridsen%20%20%3C/div%3E%0A&inline=true#colorbox-inline-351292371>
[]

<http://www.sunset.com/travel/california/fracking?width=500px&height=500px&title=%0A%20%20%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22field-caption%22%3E%0A%20%20%20%20The%20Getzelmans%20want%20a%20reliable%20water%20supply%20for%20their%20vineyard.%20%20%3C/div%3E%0A%0A%20%20%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22field-credit%22%3E%0A%20%20%20%20Dave%20Lauridsen%20%20%3C/div%3E%0A&inline=true#colorbox-inline-351292371>The
Getzelmans want a reliable water supply for their vineyard.
Dave Lauridsen

As Paula Getzelman and I stroll among her Syrah
and Grenache vines, she points out how the
freestanding plants were “head-trained,” or
cultivated to look like goblets. Head-training
can produce less fruit per acre than growing the
plants on horizontal trellises, but that’s okay
with her. “It allows the vine to give its all to
a smaller number of grapes,” she says.

Paula’s Tre Gatti Vineyards, a 5-acre boutique
operation in California’s San Antonio Valley that
she runs with her husband, Paul, has provided the
couple with more than just an income and a
palate-pleasing product. It has given them an
exit from their fast-paced city lives. She had
worked in the health care and pharmaceutical
industries, he in food sales. At one point she
was traveling four days a week for her job. “What
we were doing was for the money,” she says, “not
for the soul.” In 2001, craving a change, she
moved back to Lockwood, the agricultural town in
southern Monterey County where the couple had
started their married life three decades earlier.
Paul followed in 2003, and that year they planted their vines.

Coaxing grapes from the ground is dicey business.
There are tiny leafhoppers that drain chlorophyll
from the plants. There are late-summer days when
an imprecise forklift movement can overturn a
half-ton of grapes onto the dirt road. But these
days Paula worries about another industry that
wants to coax its own product from deeper beneath the soil.

The San Antonio Valley is part of the Monterey
Shale, a 1,750-square-mile patchwork of rock that
the oil industry calls a potential energy
bonanza. A 2011 U.S. government study estimated
that the recoverable oil inside the shale far
outstrips the reserves fueling the current booms in North Dakota and Texas.

That oil is not easily obtained, though. Trapped
inside the rock, it needs to be extracted by one
of several modern technologies. The best known is
hydraulic fracturing, nicknamed “fracking,” which
entails drilling deep beneath the earth’s surface
and horizontally across the rock, then pumping
water, chemicals, and sand underground to
fracture the shale and free up the fuel. Fracking
has unlocked stubborn oil and natural gas
reserves elsewhere, creating jobs and fostering
hopes for an energy-independent future. A recent
study by the International Energy Agency said the
technology is driving down U.S. gas and
electricity prices, and it predicted that the
United States will become the world’s largest oil
producer around 2020 and that North America will be a net oil exporter by 2030.

But fracking and related activities have also
been linked to water and air pollution, health
problems ranging from asthma to low birth-weight
babies, wildlife habitat disruption, and boomtown
ills such as homelessness and crime.
Environmental activists warn that these problems
could plague California if the Monterey Shale is exploited.

Paula, 71, is no activist. But she worries, in
her measured way, that drilling the shale without
a better understanding of the risks could
jeopardize the San Antonio Valley’s most valuable
resource. “What we have in that vineyard is
dependent on water,” she says. “If our water is
decimated, both in quality and quantity, we
pretty much have no fallback position. Once the
water is gone, you can’t reclaim it.”

<http://www.sunset.com/travel/california/fracking?width=500px&height=500px&title=%0A%20%20%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22field-caption%22%3E%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%3C/div%3E%0A%0A%20%20%3Cdiv%20class%3D%22field-credit%22%3E%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%3C/div%3E%0A&inline=true#colorbox-inline-1818697729>
[]

The Native Americans who lived in California
thousands of years ago observed that the ground
naturally seeped petroleum, which they used in
thickened form for everything from canoe building
to chewing gum. It took until the 19th century
for oil drilling to begin, and in 1892 the first
gusher erupted near Ventura. That kicked off a
series of booms as oilfields were discovered
around Los Angeles, the Central Valley, and
offshore. Output peaked in 1985, though
California still ranks third among the states in oil production.

With the easiest oil gone­oil that flowed from
its source rock and pooled in underground
reservoirs, waiting to be sucked out like a
Slurpee­the big questions are how much remains
and whether it can be reached. The U.S. Energy
Information Administration (EIA) tried to answer
those questions in a 2011 report examining the
Lower 48’s shale resources. When it came to oil,
the leader by a landslide was the Monterey Shale,
a checkerboard of discrete basins that stretches
from Southern California’s Orange County to the
Eel River watershed north of Ukiah. EIA put the
Monterey’s recoverable potential at 15.4 billion
barrels, more than four times that of the next
most promising formation, North Dakota’s Bakken
Shale. The agency later lowered its estimate to 13.7 billion.

The report came out as fracking, ramping up
nationwide, triggered North Dakota’s current oil
boom and Pennsylvania’s natural gas rush. But
drilling horizontally across the Monterey might
prove trickier, because its rock strata have been
jumbled over the eons by seismic activity. “On
the East Coast, if we look at the geology, it’s
akin to a layer cake,” says Jayni Foley Hein,
executive director of the Center for Law, Energy
& the Environment at the University of
California, Berkeley. “In the Monterey Shale, it’s more akin to a marble cake.”

For all the logistical challenges, the sheer
amount of anticipated oil makes the Monterey too
tempting for the energy industry to leave alone.
“I think you could see, if the technological
barriers are overcome, a significant replacement
of imported oil with domestically produced oil,”
says Tupper Hull, vice president of the Western
States Petroleum Association. A University of
Southern California study, funded by Hull’s
organization, projected that, if EIA’s estimates
are correct, drilling could create 2.8 million
jobs in California and bring in $24.6 billion in
state and local taxes during the peak year of 2020.

But the government’s projection has been
disputed. In December, two organizations critical
of fracking­the Post Carbon Institute and the
Physicians Scientists & Engineers for Healthy
Energy­released an analysis by veteran Canadian
geoscientist J. David Hughes that concluded the
EIA numbers are significantly overstated. That
cast doubt on the rosy jobs forecast in the USC
study. Other industry-friendly studies have predicted smaller job gains too.

Susan Christopherson, an economic geographer at
Cornell University, says the prosperity brought
by oil and gas extraction often proves temporary.
“It’s an industrial process,” she says. “It
drives out other activities like tourism or
farming. Once the boom-bust cycle is over and the
drillers leave, those counties often have fewer
people and less diverse economies than when they started.”

Before it was renamed Lockwood in the late 19th
century­after suffragist Belva Lockwood, who by
some reckoning was the nation’s first female
presidential candidate­the Monterey County
settlement was sometimes called Hungry Flats or
Poverty Flats. “Even the rabbits had to bring their lunch,” locals said.

It was hardly less isolated when Paul Getzelman’s
mother, Lucile, came in the late 1920s to teach
at a one-room schoolhouse in nearby Bryson
Hesperia. Her arrival was big news for Lockwood’s
bachelors. “The young men were buzzing around
like flies,” Paula says. Lucile chose a suitor
named Maurice Getzelman, and in 1929, the couple married.

In the 1930s, the two of them bought a general
store in Lockwood, eventually moving it to the
new paved road through town, where it sits today.
It reminded Paul of a western-movie general
store­“with the Levi’s in back,” he says,
“hardware on one side, fresh meat, a little bit
of fresh produce.” Paul, now 68, grew up
attending cattle brandings and dove hunts. His
elementary school graduating class had five students.

Paul and Paula married in 1972 and ran the store
together. Paula, a self-described city girl,
learned how to roll dice with the old-timers for
coffee. The work, she learned, was unrelenting.
“A rural store is a mistress,” she says. “We
would get people knocking on our door at midnight
wanting to know if they could get a gallon of
gas.” Wanting their three boys to have the
benefits­sports, culture­of a more urban life,
the Getzelmans moved to Fresno in 1975.

During their absence, the San Antonio Valley
began to change. The first modern vineyard was
planted in 1996. The valley’s high hillsides, dry
summer heat, and cool nights help nurture fruity,
crisply acidic grapes. A stampede followed, Paula
says, as growers converted fallow land and barley fields to vineyards.

Returning to Lockwood after a quarter-century,
the Getzelmans found primal satisfaction in the
cycles of vineyard life. “When we saw the first
leaf come up, I cried,” Paula says. “It was like
giving birth.” In 2006, at the behest of the
Getzelmans and another grower, the federal
government named the San Antonio Valley its own viticultural area.

Not long afterward, the first hints that oil
companies might be interested in the local shale
began surfacing. A well was drilled 10 miles from
the Getzelmans’ farm, annoying the neighbors but
not really alarming them. Oil and gas company
representatives quietly began buying mineral
rights near that well, though no one has
approached the Getzelmans. News spread of the
fracking booms in other places. The government
released its 2011 Monterey Shale assessment. That
year, and the next, the Bureau of Land Management
auctioned mineral rights it owned in southern
Monterey County. Buying the rights were Vintage
Production California, a subsidiary of Occidental
Petroleum, as well as three agents that acquire
and manage land for drillers: Neil Ormond, Lone
Tree Energy, and West Coast Land Service.

Paula realized how little she knew about the
Monterey Shale. The state did not track fracking
activity. Oil companies were cagey about their
plans. Studies about the environmental effects of
hydraulic fracturing were few. But there were
reports of related water contamination in other
states. As she learned more, Paula grew wary,
particularly about the prospect of pumping
fracking fluid­which often includes chemicals
(such as benzene, 2-butoxyethanol, and toluene)
that are linked to cancer or damage to the liver,
bone marrow, or central nervous system­below the
valley’s groundwater. “If they were to frack out
here, and it were to go horribly wrong,” she
says, “the consequences would be unspeakable.”

How likely is it that something might, in Paula’s
words, “go horribly wrong”? That’s the core of
the debate over fracking nationwide, and it’s
complicated by a knowledge void. “The research is
not keeping up with the pace of growth,” says Rob
Jackson, a professor of earth sciences at
Stanford University. “We’ve been playing catch-up
in the scientific community, and that’s
especially true for the realm of potential human health interactions.”

Oil and gas companies have fractured rocks since
the late 1940s, albeit on a smaller scale than
today. “This technology has never been associated
with groundwater contamination in California,”
says the petroleum association’s Hull. Some
scientists feel hopeful the Golden State will
maintain a healthy track record even as hydraulic
fracturing or other well-stimulation methods ramp
up. “Drilling for oil is a large-scale industrial
process,” says Mark Zoback, who is a professor of
geophysics at Stanford and an industry
consultant. “There are a lot of things that can
potentially go wrong. But if you follow best
practice, and you get good regulations and
enforce them, it can be done safely.”

Still, water contamination elsewhere shows that
fracking is hardly foolproof. Researchers at The
University of Texas at Arlington have discovered
elevated levels of arsenic, selenium, and
strontium­sometimes exceeding the government’s
safety thresholds­in private drinking-water wells
near drilling sites in Texas’s Barnett Shale.
Likewise, Jackson and his former colleagues at
Duke University have found heightened levels of
methane and other gases in the water wells of
Pennsylvanians living near Marcellus Shale fracking sites.

“It’s very easy to say, rhetorically, that there
haven’t been any instances of water contamination
documented in the state, so what’s there to worry
about,” says environmental scientist Michael
Kiparsky, associate director of the Wheeler
Institute for Water Law & Policy at the
University of California, Berkeley. But there’s a
logical flaw in that reasoning, he says: Unlike
the Marcellus and Barnett, the Monterey has never
had high-intensity fracking on the same scale.
Moreover, Kiparsky says, it could take decades or
longer before contamination migrates far enough
to be detected. “The problem then becomes similar
to Superfund sites, where the activity that
caused the pollution didn’t come to light as
hazardous until later, and often until the perpetrator was long gone.”

Researchers do know there are plausible
mechanisms for contamination. Fracturing shale
also cracks the rock above it, says Anthony
Ingraffea, a professor of civil and environmental
engineering at Cornell. “You’re damaging what
Mother Nature has provided over the last 300
million to 500 million years as a natural cap,”
he says. “Over some period of time, there’s a
possibility that the damage will allow gas or oil
or other hydrocarbons to leak upward.”

The weakest links in the safety chain, according
to experts, are the steel casings and cement that
line the wells underground. They’re designed to
isolate harmful chemicals from the surrounding
environment, but they’re far from infallible­6 to
7 percent of new wells drilled in Pennsylvania
over a three-year period had “compromised
structural integrity,” according to Ingraffea’s
research. The worst breaches can poison drinking
or irrigation water, and Ingraffea says this “is
undeniably happening, has happened, will always
happen. And it’s not rare.” In December, the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency’s inspector
general released a report on the dangerous levels
of carcinogenic benzene and explosive methane in
drinking water in Parker County, Texas, near Fort
Worth. A gas-production well used in fracking
“was the most likely contributor to the
contamination of the aquifer,” the report noted.

Ingraffea and Kiparsky fear that California oil
operations could prove particularly vulnerable to
well failure because of their proximity to
earthquake faults. “The state is a very
seismically active region,” Kiparsky says. “Might
seismic activity cause the type of damage to
cementing and casing that could lead to more contamination of groundwater?”

Research suggests that high-volume hydraulic
fracturing could contribute to local air
pollution and global climate change. Less often
discussed are the implications­well pads,
pipelines, access roads, 24-hour lighting, truck
traffic­of having a long-term industrial
infrastructure across the California countryside.
Some of the Monterey Shale lies beneath places
like the San Joaquin Valley’s Kern County, which
is in many parts already heavily industrialized.
Other areas, like the San Antonio Valley, remain pastoral.

“The specter of Kern County–type oil development
extended to other parts of the state is, to me,
really quite frightening,” Kiparsky says. “You
would have vegetation removed. You’d have soil
exposed. You’d have plants and animals displaced.
You’d have disturbance of wildlife behavior.
You’d have migration corridors interrupted. You
could have sediment runoff that could degrade
water quality in nearby streams, impacting fish
and plant life. The ecological implications are
potentially severe.” None of this is certain, he
notes, because of the shortage of research.

One day Paula Getzelman and I drove 6 miles
beyond Lockwood to the Williams Hill Recreation
Area, which is owned by the federal government
and operated by the Bureau of Land Management.
Silvery digger pines with their enormous cones
lined the steeply banked dirt road as we climbed
in her SUV. Drought-tolerant chaparral plants
hugged the ground. Quail darted in front of us,
and long views unfolded in all directions, with hills the color of wheat.

When BLM auctioned off 20,000 acres of mineral
leases in 2011 and 2012, many of the parcels
surrounded Williams Hill. The agency didn’t
believe much drilling would take place there, so
it performed only cursory environmental
assessments. “We haven’t seen a big rush into
this area,” says Gabriel Garcia, a BLM field
office manager who has also worked as an
environmental protection specialist for the agency.

Environmentalists and local officials took a less
sanguine view. They feared that drilling on the
land leased by BLM not only might pollute the
water and air, but also could harm endangered
species like the California condor, which was
brought back from the edge of extinction and now numbers over 200 in the wild.

Since 2011, the Center for Biological Diversity
and the Sierra Club have filed two lawsuits to
block the BLM leases. In March 2013, U.S.
Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal ruled that the first
set of lease sales violated federal law. “The
potential risk for contamination from fracking,
while unknown, is not so remote or speculative to
be completely ignored,” he wrote. BLM is now in
settlement talks with the plaintiffs and has
promised a fuller environmental review before moving forward.

California’s farmers and ranchers have not formed
a consensus around fracking. Some, like Paula,
believe that, based on current information, the
risks outweigh any potential economic gain.
Others are eager for the additional income from
oil leases­“particularly in this time of severe
drought, when they’re laying 30 percent of their
land fallow,” says Diane Friend, executive
director of the Kings County Farm Bureau. Farmers
there, she says, trust the steps that the oil
companies are taking to protect their aquifers.
And because saltwater intrusion has already
forced many of them to rely on surface water for
irrigation, problems underground won’t imperil
their crops. “One reason they’re not afraid,”
Friend says, “is that the water quality’s already bad.”

Hull, the industry official, says oil and
agriculture have prospered side by side in
California for more than a century. “They
understand that it’s necessary to coexist, and
they do so extremely well,” he says. The question
is whether that peace will continue if drillers
crack the Monterey code and the resulting boom
demands more water. In a statewide context, the
amount of water used for fracking would be small.
But experts say it could create local shortages.

The Getzelmans use 7,000 gallons an acre every
time they water their vineyard. Nationally,
fracking requires about 1 million gallons of
water annually per well; in California, which
hasn’t had horizontal drilling on a mass scale
yet, the water usage has been lower. But the
state, which has seen its groundwater depleted by
almost 20 trillion gallons since the early 1960s,
could face tensions too. “Between groundwater
concerns and the state’s recently declared
‘drought emergency,’ any expansion of water use
for hydraulic fracturing in this region will
likely spark strong public concern that could
jeopardize the industry’s social license to
operate,” says a report published in February by
Ceres, a nonprofit group that advises business leaders on sustainability issues

With all the uncertainties about drilling the
Monterey, how should California proceed? Last
year, the state legislature passed a measure,
called Senate Bill 4, allowing hydraulic
fracturing and acid stimulation (another
extraction process) while also putting in place
more regulation than exists today. It also
mandated a study of the “hazards and risks” of
these techniques that is due by January 1, 2015.
The new law disappointed the oil industry, which
considers its requirements burdensome and
unnecessary. And it disappointed
environmentalists, who wanted a moratorium until
the safety issues are better understood.

Hull considers the call for a moratorium
“draconian”­an overreaction to what he considers
modest and well-managed risks. “You would not do
anything of a technological nature if you were
required to first prove the absence of any risk,
of all risk,” Hull says. “That’s silly.”

Paula Getzelman finds herself craving a middle
ground between the absolutists. “If we really put
our minds to it, we could come up with a method
to extract oil safely,” she says. Some scientists
agree with her. Until that method is developed,
though, she believes a moratorium is the best
interim measure­“to allow time to gather some
evidence, whichever way it might go, and allow
for more reasonable discussion on both sides.”

With a large enough research investment, Paula
says, we might find a way to tap the Monterey
that’s both lucrative for the oil industry and
protective of the environment and human health.
If that happens, she’ll be all for it. “But if,
in fact, people who say it can’t be done safely
are correct,” she says, “you can’t go back and unring that bell.”

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org