[Southern California Permaculture] Planetize the Movement/Five Lessons from Martin Luther King Jr

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Mon Jan 19 07:23:55 PST 2015

Inspiring perspective of Martin Luther Kings work by Drew Dellinger,
who in his writings shares ecological and cosmological dimensions of
King's vision that have been largely overlooked.

http://drewdellinger.org/pages/video/751/drew-dellinger-on-mlk-jr.s-ecological-and-cosmological-worldview

Tikkun Magazine, <http://www.tikkun.org/article.php/jan2011_toc>Winter 2011

Five Lessons from Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement

by Drew Dellinger

1. If you want to change the world, change the worldview.

To get to the root of our current ecological and social crises, we
have to look at the structures of consciousness -- the stories,
myths, narratives, and paradigms -- that shape the modern world and
inhabit our minds. Racism, patriarchy, oppression and ecological
destruction can be seen as dysfunctional "stories" made tragically
real. To heal the culture, we need to heal our cosmology, our
worldview or cultural story. As my teacher, Thomas Berry, often said
(drawing on Jung), "The dream drives the action." The dream of a
society drives and guides its actions. Tapping into the electric
currents of our national psyche, Dr. King and the Civil Rights
Movement transformed the country by dreaming and embodying a new
cultural narrative.

2. To build a movement, use the power of dream, story, and action.

As Dr. King showed the world on August 28, 1963, few things are as
powerful as a compelling dream. When we dream, we access creativity
and wisdom larger than ourselves. Our dream-visions of the future act
as magnetic attractors. King and the movement also used the power of
story to dramatic effect. King's oratory worked toward dismantling
the narratives of white supremacy, wove the freedom struggle into the
nation's sacred history, and used the multidimensional role of the
preacher to re-story our society. While dream and story are
foundational, the genius of the movement was its emphasis on action.
As King said, "Nonviolent direct action will continue to be a
significant source of power until it is made irrelevant by the
presence of justice."

3. Everyone can be a leader.

The civil rights revolution is the story of ordinary people doing
extraordinary things. Students and sharecroppers, seamstresses and
senior citizens, preachers, workers, and countless others
courageously led the country toward democracy. Months before Rosa
Parks and Dr. King stepped onto history's stage, there were two
teenagers -- Claudette Colvin and Mary Louise Smith -- who defied
segregation on Montgomery's buses. Their courage inspired Parks and
the city's black community. Women, especially -- such as Ella Baker,
Diane Nash, Dorothy Height, Jo Ann Robinson, Septima Clark, and
Fannie Lou Hamer --  made the movement happen. To build a mass
movement, activate the leadership inherent in everyone.

4. Connect the issues.

In the last years of his life, which I call his mountaintop period,
King expanded his prophetic vision, articulating the connections
between racism, war, and poverty. At great cost to himself and his
organization, he bridged the concerns of the Civil Rights Movement
and the peace movement, and excoriated the madness and brutality of
the Vietnam War. To those who harshly criticized him for mixing peace
and civil rights, King responded that he was "deeply saddened,"
because it meant that they had "never really known me, my commitment,
or my calling." After visiting Joan Baez, who was in jail for
draft-resistance activities, King told her supporters, "I see these
two struggles as one struggle."

5. Widen the circle.

In his final months King called for all of us to "planetize the
movement" and "develop a world perspective." In his majestic
"Christmas Eve Sermon on Peace," King said, "It really boils down to
this: that all life is interrelated." On the last day of his life
King told a trusted aide, "In the next campaign," their nonviolent
movement would "take it international."

The spirit of Dr. King and the Civil Rights Movement continues in
today's global movements for ecology and social justice. The
transformation that is underway requires courage, compassion,
discernment, and creativity. These lessons from Martin Luther King
Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement can offer guidance to the next
generation through the perilous present and into a just and sustainable future.

Drew Dellinger is a speaker, poet, writer, and teacher. He is founder
of Planetize the Movement and author of love letter to the milky way. See

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.