[Southern California Permaculture] Urban Soil Carbon Water Summit/Feb 24 & 26

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Feb 7 11:30:56 PST 2015

[]

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network is a
promotional co-sponsor of the Urban Soil Water
Summit, if you'd like to sign up for the event,
you can mention coupon code SOIL2015 to receive a
10% discount.  This event uniquely focuses on the
soil, living soil, in urban areas for solutions
to many things, including climate change.

Urban Soil Carbon Water Summit
Feb 24-25 2015
Los Angeles Natural History Museum

http://urbansoil.org/

It’s dry and getting drier here in the arid West.
But drought is just a symptom of something much
more insidious called desertification – creating
a man-made desert out of a historically dry area.

In order to influence policy and projects aimed
at reducing the effects of climate change, the
Urban Soil Carbon Water Summit Partners invite
you to join the dialogue and claim a leadership
role in building the formula for abundance and urban resiliency:

  Living Soil + Carbon Sequestration + Native
Plants = Soil Security = Water Security

Over two days in February 2015 our
internationally renowned speakers, in dialogue
with YOU, our Summit attendees, will share strategies for:
• Restoring urban soils
• Reducing drought
• Creating a more verdant and economically viable city, and
• Sequestering carbon in the soil biome to reverse climate change.

Living Soil is truly a multifaceted 'super hero':
it grows nutritious food, supports all plant and
insect life on earth, holds & cleans water,
eliminates water and air pollution, and
sequesters atmospheric carbon, reversing climate change. It is NOT dirt.

Many of our current construction, farming, urban
design, and industrial processes kill Living
Soil. When our soil is damaged in these ways it
can no longer function to support human
existence. When soil dies we get desertification,
one symptom of which is drought. When we kill the
soil, we kill ourselves. We must change our ways
of dealing with soil so that we can thrive.

<http://www.greengardensgroup.com/who-is-g3/>G3
Green Gardens Group feels so strongly that the
soil will save us that we are partnering with the
<http://www.nhm.org/site/>Natural History Museum
of Los Angeles County and the
<http://www.watershedhealth.org/Default.aspx>Council
for Watershed Health to present the
<http://urbansoil.org/>Urban Soil Carbon Water
Summit in February 2015. Our 'soil slap down'
conference will bring together world-renowned
speakers who know we can bring soil back from the
brink. They want to share their groundbreaking
research and experimentation to help us gain the
tools and confidence to save our way of life by
creating soil security, water security, and reversing climate change.

Dr. Elaine Ingham, founder of the
<http://www.soilfoodweb.com/>Soil Food Web, Ray
“the Soil Guy” Archuleta from
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/site/national/home/>NRCS,
and Dr.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRSPy3ZwpBk>Suzanne
Simard, pioneer of the forest carbon
sequestration process are joined by moderator
Judith Schwartz, author of
<http://www.judithdschwartz.com/>Cows Save The
Planet, to explore the science of locking carbon
into the soil, and using the soil to filter water
before it reaches our rivers, lakes and beaches.

Allan Savory, developer of the Holistic Land
Management strategy of the
<http://www.savoryinstitute.com/>Savory
Institute, and
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izf6D1LQlFE>Brock
Dolman, consummate educator on watershed science
are joined by moderator Kristin Ohlson, author of
<http://www.kristinohlson.com/books/soil-will-save-us>The
Soil Will Save Us, to translate the science into
action and draw from projects around the globe in
which the conservation and restoration of soil
biology has resulted in improving the resilience
of ecosystems to climate change.

See website for other speakers: http://urbansoil.org/

The culmination of the two-day discussion will be
applying this information to an urban setting
such as Los Angeles. How are our urban cities
going to survive unless we use these approaches
to secure our future, create jobs and improve the urban economy?

The limited number of tickets for The Urban Soil
Carbon Water Summit are selling fast.
<http://www.greengardensgroup.com/events/urban-saving-our-soil-symposium-los-angeles/>Reserve
your place at the table today.

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo