[Southern California Permaculture] SAVE THE DATE/Thur May 28/FILM Showing & Discussion/Rebels with a Cause-How a Battle Over Land Changed the Calif Landscape Forever

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri May 22 13:57:21 PDT 2015

In light of the recent oil spill, we think this film event has
special meaning...

The film shares the extraordinary story of citizen activists in
Northern California who initiated a movement that saved the lands
north of San Francisco that were scheduled for massive development---
instead we got things like the Pt Reyes National Seashore & the Marin
Agriculture Land Trust!

We want to honor all the organizations who helped preserve our
precious landscape in our region through the decades...not just as
open space, but as a functioning ecosystem we all rely on for life itself.

Joining us to table will be many preservation & conservation groups,
including Urban Creeks Council, Gaviota Coast Conservancy, Naples
Coalition, Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, Get Oil Out, Paul Relis,
founding executive director of the CEC with his new book, and others...

Hope you can join us!

Film Trailer: http://rebelsdocumentary.org/trailer/

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Presents

Award-Winning Documentary Film
Rebels with a Cause
How a Battle Over Land Changed the California Landscape Forever

Thursday, May 28, 2015
6:30-8:30pm -FREE
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery

they were unpaid & they were crazy. they were...
Emacs!

In the first half of the 20th century, California's population
increased by 600% and by the 1950's development was consuming coastal
open space and farmland to housing development & shopping malls in a
way that seemed to have no limits.

A stunningly beautiful film narrated by Frances McDormand, Rebels
With A Cause is the tale about the dreamers and schemers and
activists who - despite reversals, diversions and disappointments -
persist in their mission for more than twenty years and foster a
national movement beginning in California to preserve open space that
ultimately grew into a legacy of National Seashores, National Parks
and National Recreation Areas around the nation.

  It's the story of garden clubs, ranchers, farmers conservationists,
politicians, widows and volunteers, all of whom worked their way
through compromise and negotiation with the American public coming up
as the winner.

It's a struggle that crosses party lines, unites seemingly
antagonistic foes, falters and is nearly extinguished many times
along the way, but ultimately is victorious.  Beautiful cinematic
footage, clever animation, moving interviews and a very compelling
story are woven together in story that is especially meaningful for our times.

Award winning filmmakers Nancy Kelly and Kenji Yamamoto of
Kelly+Yamamoto Productions capture breathtaking natural landscapes
while chronicling the story of an unusual group of individuals who
make monumental change to help preserve a landscape for future generations.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network invites community members,
leaders, educators, students, and all who care about land
preservation to attend and join the discussion about preservation of
not only open space, but also agricultural lands in trust, urban
community landtrusts, and how future generations can participate in
preserving our own beautiful and unique landscape.

The free event takes place on Thursday, May 28, 6:30-8:30pm, at the
downtown Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery,40 E.
Anapamu St, 93101. No reservations are required.  More info:
www.sbpermaculture.org,
<mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>margie at sbpermaculture.org, 805-962-2571.

Hosted by: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
  & Santa Barbara Food Alliance
www.sbpermaculture.org

More Info:

Watch the Trailer: http://rebelsdocumentary.org/trailer/

Viewers Guide for organizations & schools:
http://rebelsdocumentary.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RebelswithaCause_ViewersGuide.pdf

Information on Film and Filmmakers
<http://rebelsdocumentary.org/>http://rebelsdocumentary.org

Rebels With A Cause, on Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Facebook
Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/686558494804829/

Santa Barbara Food Alliance Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/sbfoodalliance>https://www.facebook.com/sbfoodalliance

-end-