[Southern California Permaculture] Paul Stamets/The Petroleum Problem & Mycoremediation

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat May 23 23:42:36 PDT 2015

Written at the time of the BP Oil Spill in the
Gulf of Mexico, but great info on
bio-remediation, or mycoremediation with fungi.

PAUL STAMETS’ STATEMENT ON MYCOREMEDIATION
AND ITS APPLICATIONS TO OIL SPILLS

http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/the-petroleum-problem.html

The BP oil spill has inflicted enormous harm in
the Gulf of Mexico and will continue to do so for
months, if not decades, to come. I have many
thoughts on this disaster. My first reaction is
that when the skin of the Earth is punctured, bad things can happen.

Clearly, this disaster could and should have been
prevented. Despite all their assurances of
safety, BP and/or BP’s subcontractors, failed to
ensure the functionality of the emergency
equipment on the Deep Horizon rig. The oil
industry claims that further regulation will
handcuff them, but it is now obvious that more
steps need to be taken to prevent a catastrophe
like this from ever happening again.

However, this spill did happen, and we now must
deal with the aftermath. Although estimates have
been that BP could be liable for more than 14
billion dollars in clean up damages, very few in
the media have mentioned the long-term,
generational consequences of this oil spill.
There will inevitably be a surge in cancer cases,
widespread degradation of wildlife habitat, and
an array of diverse and complex strains on local
communities, our nation, and the planetary
ecosphere as a whole. We all know that the seas
are connected, and ultimately our biosphere
suffers globally when suffering locally. Now as
the hurricane season approaches, we may see
catastrophes converge to create what may be the
greatest ecological disaster in hundreds of years.

While we will need a wide array of efforts to
address this complex problem, mycoremediation is
a valuable component in our toolset of solutions.
Mycoremediation has demonstrated positive
results, verified by scientists in many
countries. However, there is more oil spilled
than there is currently mycelium available. Much
more mycelium is needed and, fortunately, we know how to generate it.

Here is what we know about mycoremediation, based
on tests conducted by myself, my colleagues and
other researchers who have published their results. (See attached references.)

Oil being absorbed by mushroom mycelium

Oil being absorbed by mushroom mycelium

What we know:
1) [Update] We now know that one of our strains
of Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) is
tolerant to saltwater exposure. The mycelium
fully colonizes salt water soaked straw. Our
tests with MycoBooms™ (see below) are being
conducted in the waters of the Puget Sound, the
average salinity of which is approximately 3.3%,
only .2% less than the average salinity of the world's oceans.
2) Straw that has been inoculated with Oyster
mushroom mycelium floats, making it a potential
candidate for use in water-borne mycelial containment/filtration systems.
3) More than 120 novel enzymes have been
identified from mushroom-forming fungi.
4) Various enzymes breakdown a wide assortment of
hydrocarbon-based toxic substances.
5) My work with Battelle Laboratories, in
collaboration with their scientists, resulted in
TAH’s (Total Aromatic Hydrocarbons) in diesel
contaminated soil to be reduced from 10,000 ppm
to < 200 ppm in 16 weeks from a 25% inoculation
rate of oyster (Pleurotus ostreatus) mycelium,
allowing the remediated soil to be approved for
use as landscaping soil along highways. (Thomas et al., 1999; Thomas, 2000)
6) Oil contains a wide variety of toxic
substances, many of which are carcinogens.
7) Mycelium more readily degrades lower molecular
weight hydrocarbons (3,4,5 ring) than heavier
weight hydrocarbons. However, the heavier weight
hydrocarbons are reduced via mycelial enzymes
into lighter weight hydrocarbons, allowing for a
staged reduction with subsequent mycelial treatments.
8) Aged mycelium from oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus
ostreatus) mixed in with ‘compost’ made from
woodchips and yard waste (50:50 by volume)
resulted in far better degradation of
hydrocarbons than oyster mushroom mycelium or compost alone.
9) Oyster mycelium does not degrade keratin-based
hair as it produces little or no keratinases,
whereas other mold fungi such as Chaetomium
species (which include some high
temperature-tolerant leaf mold fungi) produce keratinases.
10) Worms die when put into contact with high
concentrations of hydrocarbon saturated soils,
but live after mycelial treatments reduce the
toxic substances below the lethal thresholds.
11) Spring inoculations work better than fall
inoculations as the mycelium has more time to
grow-out. Bioregional specificities must be carefully considered.
12) Amplifying native mushroom species in the
bioregion impacted by toxic spills work better than non-native species.
13) More funding is needed to better understand
and implement mycoremediation technologies.
14) Oil spills will occur in the future­we need to be ready for them!

Oyster mushrooms producing on oil contaminated soil

Oyster mushrooms producing on oil contaminated soil (1–2% = 10,000–20,000 ppm).
We do not recommend eating food crops from
contaminated soils. Photo credit: Susan Thomas.

Oyster mushrooms producing on oil contaminated soil

Soil toxicity reduced in 16 weeks to less than ~
200 ppm, allowing for plants, worms and other species
to inhabit whereas control piles remained toxic
to plants and worms. Photo credit: Susan Thomas.

What we don’t know:
1) The differential gradients of decomposition of
the complex oil constituents from contact with
Oyster mushroom mycelium. Different toxic
substances degrade at different rates when placed into contact with mycelium.
2) The variables that influence the success of
mycoremediation, particularly since the targeted
toxic substances are often complex mixtures of
volatile and non-volatile hydrocarbons.
3) How many other species of fungi could be
applied for mycoremediation beyond the few that
have been tested? Up to now, Oyster mushroom
mycelium (Pleurotus ostreatus) has been tested
successfully but there are literally thousands of
other species yet to be tested for mycoremediation.
4) How each fungal species used pre-selects the
subsequent biological populations and how these
further enable plant communities as habitats recover from toxic waste exposure?
5) Whether or not the mushrooms grown on
decomposing toxic wastes are safe to eat.
6) To what degree of decomposition by mycelium of
toxic soils makes the soils safe for food crops.
7) How economically practical will it be to
remove mushrooms that have hyper-accumulated
heavy metals­will this be a viable remediation
strategy? Which species are best for hyper accumulating specific metals?
8) How to finance/design composting centers
around population centers near pollution threats.
9) How to train­on a massive scale­the
mycotechnicians needed to implement mycoremediation.
10) How to fund ”Myco-U’s”, learning centers with
emphasis on implementing myco-solutions to human made and natural catastrophes.
11) How extensively and diversely will
mycoremediation practices be needed in the future?

Pouring crank case oil onto oyster mushroom compost

Pouring crank case oil onto oyster mushroom
compost after it has produced several crops of mushrooms

New crop of mushrooms form several weeks later

New crop of mushrooms form several weeks later.
The spores released by these mushrooms have the
potential­as a epigenetic response­to pre-select
new strains more adaptive to this oil-saturated substrate.

How can we help?
Knowing that the extent of this disaster eclipses
our mycological resources should not be a reason to not act.

I proposed in 1994 that we have Mycological
Response Teams (MRTs) in place to react to
catastrophic events, from hurricanes to oil
spills. We need to preposition composting and
mycoremediation centers adjacent to population
centers. We should set MRTs into motion,
centralized in communities, which are actively
involved in recycling, composting and
permaculture­utilizing debris from natural or
man-made calamities to generate enzymes and rebuild healthy local soils.

I see the urgent need to set up webinar-like,
Internet-based modules of education to
disseminate methods for mycoremediation training
so people throughout the world can benefit from
the knowledge we have gained through the past
decade of research. Such hubs of learning could
cross-educate others and build a body of
knowledge that would be further perfected over
time, benefiting from the successes and failures
of those in different bioregions. The cumulative
knowledge gained from a centralized data hub
could emerge as a robust yet flexible platform
that could help generations to come. Scientists,
policy makers, and citizens would be empowered
with practical mycoremediation tools for addressing environmental disasters.

There are additional opportunities here. By
encouraging strategically placed gourmet mushroom
production centers near debris fields from
natural and human-made disasters, we can open a
pathway for mycoremediation. The ‘aged compost’
that is produced after mushrooms are harvested is
rich in enzymes­a value-added by-product and this
‘waste’ product is aptly suited for
mycoremediation purposes. What most people do not
realize is that most mushroom farms generate this
compost by the tons and are eager for it to be used elsewhere.

The scope and continuing magnitude of the
Deepwater Horizon/BP oil spill is unprecedented,
and calls for unprecedented responses. Time to
'think outside the box'. Here is, perhaps, one
path to a solution in response to the BP oil
spill disaster. This is experimental and not yet
proven, but I think this approach merits serious
testing, and may be especially applicable inside
of the containment booms, and along marshlands.

We are currently testing "MycoBooms™"; straw
colonized with oyster mushroom (Pleurotus
ostreatus) mycelium encased in hemp-tubes.

Mycoboom" floating in saltwater

Mycoboom™ floating in saltwater in Totten Inlet,
southern Puget Sound near Kamilche Point, Washington.

Oil absorbtion of Oyster mycelium on straw

Oil absorbtion of Oyster mycelium on straw

Progression of oil absorbtion of Oyster mycelium
on straw floating in oily water over a three
day period. Note absorption of oil into above
water line and emergence of clear patch of water.

Among the potential advantages of the MycoBooms are these:

1) Straw colonized with Oyster mushroom mycelium
floats, making MycoBooms potentially suitable for
both oil absorbtion/remediation and for corraling
and containing oil slicks. Moreover, myceliated
straw and woodchips could be broadcasted between
the shoreline and the containment booms to create
a floating debris field to capture and degrade hydrocarbons.
2) Mycelium and straw both absorb oil.
3) Oyster mushroom mycelium emits enzymes that
can break down oil continuously for weeks, if not
months, thus starting the decomposition of oil
process, reducing the complex hydrocarbons into simpler, more unstable forms.
4) Oyster mushroom mycelium supports
non-pathogenic bacterial communities as they age,
which in turn can break down oil in their own way.
5) MycoBooms in hemp socks are fully biodegradable.
6) As mycelium outgasses and mushrooms form,
fungus gnats and flies are attracted, and fish,
bird, bat and insect populations may further
benefit from an emerging food resource.

Oyster mushroom fruiting from the end of a MycoBoom"

Oyster mushroom fruiting from the end of a MycoBoom™

On a grand scale, I envision that we, as a
people, develop a common myco-ecology of
consciousness and address these common goals
through the use of mycelium. To do so means we
need to spread awareness and information. Please
spread the word of mycelium. Educate friends,
family and policy makers about mycological
solutions. Bring your local leaders up the
learning curve on how fungi can decompose toxic
substances, rebuild soils and strengthen our food
chains. What we lack is the widespread
availability of mycologically skilled technicians
and educators and a more mycologically informed
public. We need a paradigm shift, a
multi-generational educational infrastructure,
bringing fungal solutions to the forefront of
viable options to mitigate disasters. An
unfortunate circumstance we face is that the
field of mycology is poorly funded in a time of intense need.

To support this expanded mycological awareness, I
offer my books as resources­especially Mycelium
Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
and Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms.
Also, please see my talk on
<http://www.ted.com/speakers/paul_stamets.html>Ted.com­this
is an excellent primer for those wanting to
understand how mushrooms and fungi can help
mitigate disasters and heal ecosystems.

Let's become part of the solution. We may not
have all the answers now but we can work towards
an integrated strategy, flexible in its design,
and yet target specific to these types of
disasters. We should work in preparation to
resolve ecological emergencies before and after
they occur. Together, we can protect and heal our communities and ecosystems.

- See more at:
http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/the-petroleum-problem.html#sthash.scyaAQce.dpuf

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571