[Southern California Permaculture] SIGN/Carbon Farming Solves the Planet/Petitioning Calif Governor - Invest in Soil

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Aug 9 18:35:31 PDT 2015

this short youtube is particularly well done!  it aligns with
permaculture design strategies & core message for sure.  Did you know
even the USDA currently has an amazingly enlightened soil & water
campaign currently?  such good news, who says the world can't shift...

<https://www.change.org/p/california-soils-need-your-help-seriously-160m-to-support-gov-brown-rebuilding-healthy-soils?just_created=true#petition-letter>Petitioning
California Governor and 2 others

California Soils need your help. Seriously. $160M to support Gov
Brown rebuilding Healthy Soils.

Short YouTube, does excellent job of explaining the carbon cycle, and
how soils and plants can sequester carbon.
https://www.change.org/p/california-soils-need-your-help-seriously-160m-to-support-gov-brown-rebuilding-healthy-soils?just_created=true

Soil needs our help. Seriously.

My name is Jason Mraz. I am a Grammy-winning recording artist, and a
lover of Soil. That's right -- rich, dark, alive, soil. I've even
written songs about it. Sometimes it's easy to forget that we need
soil for every single thing we eat. We literally couldn't exist without soil.

But right now, the way we farm strips our soil of all the carbon and
microorganisms it needs to stay healthy. That's bad for farmers, bad
for climate change, and in my drought-stricken home state of
California, it lets our dwindling water go to waste.

We have a chance to change that. Soon, California is going to decide
how to spend $2 billion they've set aside to fight climate change.

I need your help, the Governor needs your help. Sign this petition to
tell California elected officials to make sustainable soil programs a
part of their climate change initiatives.

I know, at first it sounds a little silly. Investing in soil? But
California is the leading agricultural economy of the world. The way
we treat our soil has a massive impact on our environment, our water
supply, and farmers throughout the state.

We have a major opportunity RIGHT NOW to support Governor Brown in
funding Healthy Soils -- $160M of the $2 billion that's been set
aside could go to land management practices that would rebuild
healthy soil so we can grow more nutritious food, fight the drought,
and take carbon out of the air to help reverse climate change.

Our very future depends on the health of our soil. Help me and my
friends at Kiss The Ground tell the State of California to make
responsible investments in building back our soil.

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org