[Southern California Permaculture] TONIGHT/MON Oct 12 6:30pm /Paul Relis & Pico Iyer @ the Lobero/CEC 45th Anniversary Event

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Oct 12 07:22:54 PDT 2015

Paul Relis & Pico Iyer Together at the Lobero; A Benefit for the Community Environmental Council (CEC)

two good friends contemplate what our environmental destiny might be, for both Santa Barbara & the planet...

Two creative minds honor the Community Environmental Council's 45th Anniversary with a conversational journey exploring the past & the future of the environmental movement, including a discussion of Paul Relis' recently published book, Out of the Wasteland - Stories from the Environmental Frontier.

Paul Relis is the founding executive director of the Community Environmental Council, who at the young age of twenty three, following the disastrous oil spill in the Santa Barbara Channel in 1969, helped launch an organization whose impact is still being felt locally & globally today.   Pico Iyer, global traveler & sometime Santa Barbara resident, is an internationally acclaimed author & journalist with more than ten best selling books, whose global citizen perspective helps us understand the world we live in.

Join us for a thought provoking evening as Paul & Pico, personal good friends, lead us with infectious abandon into a lively conversation about what the future might hold, as we contemplate what our environmental destiny might be, in our Santa Barbara home town and on the planet.

A book signing reception will follow the talk.  Alma Rosa Wine, Telegraph Brewing Co Beer & appetizers provided by the IV Food Coop

Tickets $30, $20 & $10, (all ticket sales donated to the Community Environmental Council)

Event Sponsors:

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & The Community Environmental Council

Tickets available at the Lobero Ticket Office: 805.963-0761; https://www.lobero.com/events/cec-pico-iyerpaul-relis/

More Info:

Paul Relis Bio:

Paul became the founding executive director of the Community Environmental Council (CEC) after the disastrous oil spill in the Santa Barbara Channel in 1969. Paul then became an executive with the state EPA, and lectured for nearly two decades on Environmental Studies at his alma mater, UCSB.

Paul feels his current work with CR&R Inc, a company developing a 30 million dollar Anaerobic Digester at a facility in Perris, CA, (due to open in three months) with a carbon free, ultra low emissions biofuels created from organic waste, is the exciting culmination of all his work---fulfilling a dream of making our community and state less reliant on oil for energy.
CR&R  http://www.crrwasteservices.com/about/about_main.htm

Bio: Pico Iyer

Pico Iyer is a celebrated author, journalist, and regular TED Talk lecturer (with multi million-views). Born in England to parents from India and educated at Eton, Oxford, and Harvard, Iyer writes frequently on globalism for Harper’s, on culture & politics for The New York Times, on literature for The New York Review of Books, and on many topics for a wide range of magazines including TIME Magazine, National Geographic, and Tricycle:The Buddhist Review. His numerous books include, Video Night in Kathmandu, Cuba and the Night, The Global Soul, and his most recent book, The Man Within My Head.

Having travelled almost everywhere­from Easter Island to Ethiopia to North Korea to Bolivia­ Iyer's lectures captivate audiences with stories about community and culture, and the ways in which technology and movement impact our sense of belonging. http://www.prhspeakers.com/speaker/pico-iyer

http://www.paulrelis.com/work/

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org