[Southern California Permaculture] Sun Dec 13/Climate March in Santa Barbara/Noon

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Dec 12 21:49:21 PST 2015

CLIMATE MARCH SANTA BARBARA

WHAT: "Drawing the Line" March for Climate Justice
and a participatory, public art project by the ocean

WHEN: Sunday, December 13 beginning at 12PM NOON

WHERE: Santa Barbara Courthouse to Stearn's Wharf area

WHO: 350 Santa Barbara, SB Climate Justice Hub,
Blue Line SB, Concerned Citizens, and YOU

WHY?: We have the tools needed to address the climate crisis,
now we are creating the political will to do so!

SPEAKERS INCLUDE: CA Assembly member Das Williams,
local grassroots leaders and others.

[]

Bringing the Reality of Climate Change to Santa Barbara by Per Hoel

This weekend, hundreds of thousands, if not
millions, of people around the world are
marching, protesting and acting creatively in
solidarity to demand bold solutions that will
actually curb climate change now and for future
generations. This movement includes Santa
Barbara. On Sunday, December 13, concerned
citizens of Santa Barbara county will rally at
noon at the downtown courthouse and march down
State Street towards Stearns Wharf. Anyone is
welcome to participate and express their worries,
hopes, and show our community that climate change
is both a global and a local challenge that we can't ignore.
After the march, there will also be a
participatory, artistic action near the ocean
demonstrating what a future water line in our
city could look like, if we don't change course.
The community is invited to take part in this
safe, interactive experience. Indeed, we will
need volunteers to help us hold 1000 feet of
high-visibility, blue ribbon as a temporary
depiction of what's at stake in just our town
alone. What if all of our beaches disappear and
marine life continues to decline due to dramatic
shifts in ocean and coastal environments? What if
droughts get harder and longer and,
paradoxically, the rains we do get are heavier,
intensify erosion and create other kinds of expensive damage?Â

The timing of all these global protests is not
accidental. Right now, 40,000 world leaders,
journalists, diplomats and others are gathered in
Paris for “COP21,” a summit to limit the
devastating effects of climate change. That
sounds like a good thing, right? Well, consider
this: Since these talks began in the 90's global
carbon emissions have increased over 60%,
according to the Global Carbon Project. Also,
COP21 is sponsored in part by major fossil fuel
companies themselves, who are, literally,
monetarily invested in extracting all their
reserves. Activists in Paris have attempted to
point out the hypocrisy, but new security
measures have allowed French authorities to
swiftly silence these messages and other protests.

As Bill McKibben points out, 2 degrees C of
global temperature rise is considered the tipping
point, beyond which the impacts of climate change
become more dangerous and unpredictable by orders
of magnitude. Just a month ago, we reached 1
degree of warming since the dawn of the
Industrial Age, and we show no sign of slowing
down. This should give us pause, considering that
climate change is already having dramatic impacts
around the world. Santa Barbara, like many
places, is experiencing historic droughts and
successive years of record-setting temperatures.
Clearly, weather is not the same as climate, but
the patterns of the former hint at the latter.
Then, consider this: currently, the world's oil
reserves are enough to raise the planet's
temperature more than 10 degrees C, and according
to the imperatives of our current economy, it must all be burned.Â

By Sunday, we will know the results of the
summit, which is scheduled to wrap up on Friday.
Many are hopeful, but from what we've seen, we
can expect lots of high rhetoric that ultimately
kicks the can perilously down the road. This is
what we won't stand for. This is why we march.
Join us! There is little an individual can do in
the face of such an existential challenge, so do
what you can -- add your voice to the growing chorus.

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org