[Southern California Permaculture] SAVE THE DATE/Sun Jan 31/8th Annual SB Community Seed Swap/11-3pm

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Jan 10 08:56:56 PST 2016

Hi everyone, once again it's time for the Seed Swap!
Although currently cold & rainy, it's the perfect
time to be thinking of your gardens & spring. Please go to the
bottom of this email for all the details; ways to support,volunteer,
table,& post your favorite seed on the Seed Swap facebook page.

8th Annual Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap
Sunday, January 31, 2016
  11-3pm, Free
Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery

A celebration to bring seeds & people together
[]

Join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network as it
hosts the 8th Annual Santa Barbara Community Seed
Swap on Sunday, January 31, from 11am-3pm, at the
downtown Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery.

More than 400 people attended last year, sharing
seeds and knowledge with other backyard
gardeners, plant lovers, beekeepers and farmers.
Come be a part of this seed saving movement,
making sure that locally adapted varieties of
seed & plants are passed on to future
generations.  Special speakers, children activities & live music!

Local groups will table, including the Santa
Barbara Seed Saving Guild who will share valuable
seed saving techniques and encourage local
gardeners to grow out and harvest some of their
best seeds for future gardens and seed swaps,
making us a truly food secure community.  Seed
saving is a fun and easy way to connect to the circle of life.

Bring seeds, plants, cuttings, and garden knowledge to swap.
Don't have these?
Then come get seeds.
Seeds to sow.
Seeds to grow.
Seeds to harvest.
Seeds to save and share next year.
Activities for all ages
Music that will have your toes tapping

Special Speakers throughout the day
A gathering of garden friends old and new.

~A community program hosted by the Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network Non-profit~
www.sbpermaculture.org

Co-Sponsors: Island Seed & Feed, Healing Grounds
Nursery, Santa Barbara Seed Saving Guild, &
Botanical Interests High Quality Seed Co.

On Facebook:

  Santa Barbara Annual Community Seed Swap:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/

  Séptimo Anual Santa Barbara Intercambio de
Semillas del Comunitario Domingo, 31 de enero,
2016 11 AM - 3 PM, Gratis: https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/

Real Food Hero Award for 2016

Once again we will be honoring a local "Real Food
Hero" at the Seed Swap.  This year the award goes
to Oscar Carmona of Healing Grounds Nursery, a
passionate local food advocate connecting people
to the land & their food for over 30 years.
Creating innovative programs encouraging people
to grow their own healthy food while using
beneficial practices for the planet, Oscar
teaches in Spanish & English, in institutional
settings & backyards. read more...
http://www.sbpermaculture.org/events.html#event25

All the details, how to support:

Volunteers: Jobs needed are to set up and take
down, welcome participants, give seed and plant
advice in the "Seed Island"; Spanish
translations, keep the seed areas organized, help
with children's activities, and would love to
have someone photograph the day. If you'd like to
help, please contact Margie at: margie at sbpermaculture.org

Speakers: If you'd like to make a short 15 minute
talk on a seed or plant related topic we still
have a few spots open. please contact us by replying to this email.

Exhibitors: We will be offering exhibit table
space for a small fee of $10, for those with
plant & seed related exhibits, please respond to this email if interested.

Please support:  Yes, we'd appreciate donations
to help with this community event, especially
with the rental fee for the Faulkner Gallery
($380).  Even local parks charge a fee, plus
liability insurance, so we chose the library for
this potentially rainy time of year.  If we want
to rent the outdoor library space as well, it
would be an additional $200, so with El Nino in
mind, although originally planned for this year,
we ultimately chose not to do (maybe next year!)

To make a donation, make checks to SB
Permaculture Network (note Seed Swap), PO Box
92156, Santa Barbara, CA, 93190, or go online to
pay by credit card or PayPal:
www.sbpermaculture.org, Donations large or small welcome!

Facebook: This year we'd really love to hear
about a favorite seed you grew out for the Seed
Swap.  Are you planning on bringing or swapping
an especially interesting heirloom seed that has
been in your family for years?  Please post on
the Seed Swap facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/

Many thanks for being a part of this great
community event, please share the date with family, friends & neighbors -

In the cold soil, tiny seeds lay dormant, waiting
for the time of rebirth, when they began to
unfold, push up and into the light, miraculously bringing forth life....
starting from seed

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190