[Southern California Permaculture] May 6 Permaculture and the Climate Crisis: science, politics, and practice with Dr Rafter Ferguson Santa Barbara/Permaculture Day Event

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Apr 15 08:41:13 PDT 2016

https://www.facebook.com/events/1113606562029227/

SBCC Environmental Horticulture Dept &
the SBCC Permaculture Design Course Presents

Permaculture & the Climate Crisis: Science, Politics, & Practice
with Dr Rafter Sass Ferguson
of Liberation Ecology

Friday, May 6, 2016
7:30 - 9 pm, FREE
Event Location: SBCC Fe Bland Auditorium/BC Forum, West Campus

~Permaculture is a design system based on ecological principles for creating sustainable human environments ~

COP21 proved conclusively that our institutions are not equipped to handle the enormous climate crisis that is facing humanity and our planet on their own. We need grassroots movements to drive needed transformation - to both demonstrate alternatives to the status quo and demand that governments, NGOs, and business get on board and work as allies, for the changes that are so desperately needed.

Permaculture is an international grassroots movement that has dramatically transformed lives and landscapes on every inhabited continent. In suburban edible landscapes, on sprawling midwestern farms, as well as for resource-poor subsistence producers from El Salvador to Malawi to Nepal.

Permaculture has proven that it has a toolbox of concepts and practices that can be applied virtually anywhere. With its beginning days in the 1970s, to continue to evolve and engage the world as it is now permaculture may have to go through some transformations of it own, as we work to understand its strengths and its current limitations. This talk will address emerging perspectives and recent scientific research on permaculture, where we need to go, and how we can get there.

Dr. Rafter Sass Ferguson of the University of LisbonRafter Sass Ferguson is a Research Fellow at the Center for Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Change at the University of Lisbon, where he is part of the project Bottom-up Climate Adaptation Strategies Towards a Sustainable Europe. His dissertation research produced the first papers on permaculture to appear in major scientific journals Ferguson received his PhD in Crop Sciences from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2015. He has been involved with permaculture as student, educator, and scholar since 2003, and in 2005 developed the Liberation Ecology workshop, a curriculum that helps participants develop strategies for integrating social justice and sustainability goals.

The event will be a local celebration of the 7th International Permaculture Day  May 2016

The event takes place on Friday, May 6, 7:30-9pm, at the Fe Bland Auditorium/BC Forum, on the SBCC West Campus, 800 block of Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109. The event is FREE, no reservations are required. More Info: Daniel Parra Hensel: daparrahense at pipeline.sbcc.edu

Hosted by the SBCC Environmental Horticulture Department
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1113606562029227/

Event Co-Sponsors: Quail Springs, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Casitas Valley Farm, & Liberation Ecology

SBCC Campus Map:
http://www.sbcc.edu/security/files/sbcc_campusmap.pdf

ADDITIONAL INFO

Liberation Ecology
http://liberationecology.org/

7th International Permaculture Day May 2016
A a day of celebration and action for permaculture around the world.
http://permacultureday.org

Episode 1301: Interview Permaculture Farms with Rafter Sass Ferguson
http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2013/rafter/

Rafter Sass-Ferguson Interview on What is Permaculture? By 21st Century Permaculture Radio
https://www.mixcloud.com/21stCenturyPermaculture/2nd-aug-2015/

The Paris Climate Change Agreement COP21 A Guide to its Purpose and Structure
http://newsroom.unfccc.int/paris-agreement/the-paris-climate-change-agreement-and-associated-decisions-a-guide-to-its-purpose-and-structure/

BOOK/Permaculture and Climate Change Adaptation Inspiring Ecological, Social, Economic and Cultural Responses for Resilience and Transformation ; by By Dr. Thomas Henfrey and Dr. Gil Penha-Lopes
https://www.chelseagreen.com/permaculture-subject/permaculture-and-climate-change-adaptation

BOOK/The Carbon Farming Solution
A Global Toolkit of Perennial Crops and Regenerative Agriculture Practices for Climate Change Mitigation and Food Security
By Eric Toensmeier Foreword by Dr. Hans Herren  http://www.chelseagreen.com/the-carbon-farming-solution

LIFE AFTER OIL Issue 77 YES MAGAZINE  Spring 2016
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/life-after-oil/peek-inside