[Southern California Permaculture] TONIGHT!/ Permaculture and the Climate Crisis: Science, Politics, and Practice with Dr Rafter Sass Ferguson

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri May 6 08:08:50 PDT 2016

  Environmental Horticulture Dept. &
  the SBCC Permaculture Design Course

  Presents:
Permaculture & the Climate Crisis: Science, Politics, & Practice
Emacs!

with Dr. Rafter Sass Ferguson
  of Liberation Ecology

Friday, May 6, 2016
  7:30 - 9 pm, FREE (no reservations required)

Event Location: SBCC Fe Bland Auditorium/BC Forum, West Campus
SBCC West Campus, 800 block of Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109

SBCC Campus Map (parking available on West Campus after 6pm):
http://www.sbcc.edu/security/files/sbcc_campusmap.pdf

Read more...

~Permaculture is a design system based on ecological principles for
creating sustainable human environments ~

COP21, the UN international climate meeting convened in Paris last
year, proved conclusively that our institutions are not equipped to
handle the enormous climate crisis that is facing humanity and our
planet on their own. We need grassroots movements to drive needed
transformation - to both demonstrate alternatives to the status quo,
and demand that governments, NGOs, and business get on board and work
collaboratively as allies for the changes that are so desperately needed.

Permaculture is an international grassroots movement that has
dramatically transformed lives and landscapes on every inhabited
continent. In suburban edible landscapes, on sprawling midwestern
farms, as well as for resource-poor subsistence producers from El
Salvador to Malawi to Nepal.

Permaculture has proven that it has a toolbox of concepts and
practices that can be applied virtually anywhere.  With
permaculture's inception in the 1970s, it is natural that to continue
to evolve and engage the world as it is now, permaculture may have to
go through some transformations of it own, as we work to understand
its strengths and its current limitations. This talk will address
emerging perspectives and recent scientific research on permaculture,
where we need to go, and how we can get there.

Dr Rafter Sass Ferguson received his PhD in Crop Sciences from the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2015, and is currently
a Research Fellow at the Center for Ecology, Evolution, and
Environmental Change at the University of Lisbon, where he is part of
the project Bottom-up Climate Adaptation Strategies Towards a
Sustainable Europe. His dissertation research produced the first
papers on permaculture to appear in major scientific journals.  He
has been involved with permaculture as student, educator, and scholar
since 2003, and in 2005 developed the Liberation Ecology workshop, a
curriculum that helps participants develop strategies for integrating
social justice and sustainability goals.

The event will be a local celebration of the 7th International
Permaculture Day - May 2016

The event takes place on Friday, May 6, 7:30-9pm, at the Fe Bland
Auditorium/BC Forum, on the SBCC West Campus, 800 block of Cliff
Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109. The event is FREE, no reservations
are required.  More Info: Daniel Parra Hensel: daparrahense at pipeline.sbcc.edu

  Hosted by the SBCC Environmental Horticulture Department
Facebook event page:
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1113606562029227/>https://www.facebook.com/events/1113606562029227/

Event Co-Sponsors: Quail Springs, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network,
Casitas Valley Farm, & Liberation Ecology

SBCC Campus Map (parking available on West Campus after 6pm):
http://www.sbcc.edu/security/files/sbcc_campusmap.pdf

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190