[Southern California Permaculture] Local Hero Nomination/In the Time of Epic Drought/Barbara Wishingrad & Sweetwater Collaborative

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu May 26 15:15:22 PDT 2016

Hi everyone, because of the drought (EPIC) we are nominating Barbara
Wishingrad and Sweetwater Collaborative for the 2016 Local Hero
Award, wondered if others wanted to join in.  The deadline is coming
up very soon (May 30).

Below is what we sent in if helpful, but please write your own
version, in your own words,  then send to: localhero at independent.com

Dear Santa Barbara Independent -

Once again we nominate Barbara Wishingrad for the Local Hero Award,
who was written up last April by Nick Welsh, where he called Barbara
and her Sweetwater Collaborative crew "Water Wizards".

Always interested in permaculture & sustainability, in 2009 Barbara
went to Tucson Arizona to participate in a 6 month Rainwater
Harvesting internship, where she did extensive training with one of
the first cooperative rainwater harvesting groups in Arizona.

She came home to Santa Barbara passionate about bringing Rainwater
Harvesting skills to our community

After working for the nonprofit she trained with in Tucson, Barbara
later encouraged a group of like minded individuals to form the
Sweetwater Collaborative, and hasn't looked back since.

Sweetwater has worked in conjunction with both the city and county
during the drought, and helped change the language that even water
purveyors and city & county officials use, encouraging capturing
rainwater in the soil, tanks, rain gardens, instead of sending
precious water into the streets and storm drains and out to the
sea.  Sweetwater Collaborative has an ongoing educational series of
Technical Roundtables for landscape professionals.

In addition to the barn raising model of  helping community members
transform there residential properties, Barbara and later
Sweetwater  worked on commercial installations, including Santa
Barbara Realtors Association, the Schott Center, and the Louise Lowry
Center, demonstrating to the community in full sight what can be done
when a lawn is replaced.

We are convinced if there were more focused and passionate people
like Barbara in the world we wouldn't have many problems that
couldn't be solved.

She is truly a local hero.

Margie Bushman & Wes Roe

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo