[Southern California Permaculture] TODAY/Ojai/An Evening Gathering to Support the 2nd Annual International Soil Not Oil Conference Thurs July 21, 7:30-9:30pm, 2016

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jul 21 00:19:43 PDT 2016

An Evening Gathering to Support
the 2nd Annual International
Soil Not Oil Conference

Thurs, July 21, 7:30-9:30pm, 2016
Free

Location: Farmer & the Cook Restaurant
339 W El Roblar Drive, Meiners Oak (near Ojai) CA 93023

Short films about Soil & Carbon Farming

including excerpts from The Seeds of Vandana Shiva documentary film;

also Kiss the Ground Short Film narrated by Woody Harrelson,

with special guest Bill Ostrander, Carbon Farming rancher from San Luis Obispo, CA

The solution to climate change & the
solution to poverty are the same.. Vandana Shiva

    Please join us on Thursday July 21, 7:30pm, when local groups come together to support both the Soil Not Oil international campaign, and the upcoming second annual Soil Not Oil conference with an evening gathering of film & discussion in Ojai, CA.   Local Ojai filmmaker Camilla Becket will be in attendance sharing excerpts from her soon to be released film The Seeds of Vandana, with other short films on soils and carbon farming also a part of the evening.

In 2015 the first Soil Not Oil conference was held in Northern California with the intent of supporting the international Soil Not Oil Campaign  launched by Indian scientist, eco-activist, and author Vandana Shiva.   Vanda Shiva is a founding member of both the Regenerative International and Navadany Foundation, who were among the first to connect the dots between climate change and the disastrous soil practices of industrial agriculture.

Restoring global soil quality is one of the best things we can do for climate change.  Because our lives are entirely dependent on the health of our soils, the Soil Not Oil Campaign demands the care and regeneration of soils worldwide.  Emphasizing extensive restructuring of land management practices,  targeting industrial agriculture as key to contributing to our current climate crisis,Soil Not Oil suggests regenerative strategies that let nature do the remedial work.   With biologically healthy alive soils we can sequester carbon from the atmosphere back into the soil where it belongs, while restoring water cycles, stopping ocean acidification, re-establishing biodiversity, and revitalizing local economies across the planet.

The film & discussion event takes place on Thursday July 21, 2016, 7:30- 9pm, at the Farmer & the Cook Restaurant, 339 W El Roblar Dr, Meiners Oak (near Ojai) CA 93023.  No reservations are required. For more info contact (805) 962-2571, Margie at sbpermaculture.org, or facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/1733416276947943/.

Event Co-sponsors: Becket Films, Farmer & the Cook Restaurant, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, the Center for Regenerative
Agriculture & East End Eden Permaculture Farm.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

2nd International Soil Not Oil conference in Richmond, California, August 5 & 6, 2016.
http://soilnotoilcoalition.org/

Soil Not Oil Pledge:
http://soilnotoilcoalition.org/soil-not-oil-pledge/

Reasons to attend the 2nd Soil Not Oil Conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjPQGcraZQ

Clips from The Seeds of Vandana Shiva Documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcaFM6rjp7Q and Film website; http://vandanashivamovie.com/

The California Climate and Agriculture Network (CalCAN):

A coalition of sustainable agriculture and farmer leaders that advances
agricultural solutions to climate change. Agriculture can play a unique
role in responding to the climate crisis by producing renewable energy,
sequestering carbon and reducing greenhouse gas emissions while securing
our food system for generations to come. http://calclimateag.org/

Agriculture and Climate Change Article by Carbon Farmer Bill Ostrander:

Bill Ostrander is a farmer, rancher & businessman from San Luis Obispo County who ran for the US 24th Congressional District (Central and South Coast California) seat in June 2016 with Climate Change and Carbon Farming as a prominent part of his platform.  Although he didn't win, he was tireless in educating the public with his message about Carbon Farming & the ability of healthy biologically alive soils to sequester carbon.   Agriculture creates more than 20 percent of our carbon footprint and approximately 35 percent of the planet's greenhouse gas emissions:  http://www.ostranderforcongress.com/climate-change

Kiss the Ground:

Kiss the Ground is a nonprofit dedicated to inspiring global participation in the restoration of our precious soils.
https://www.kisstheground.com/

“4 per 1,000” Initiative:

The “4 per 1,000” Initiative wants to demonstrate that agriculture can
provide practical solutions to the challenge of climate disruption, while
also meeting that posed by food security through the use of farming
methods that match local conditions: e.g. agroecology, agroforestry,
conservation agriculture, landscape management.  http://4p1000.org/understand

BOOK/The Carbon Farming Solution:

A Global Toolkit of Perennial Crops and Regenerative Agriculture
Practices for Climate Change Mitigation and Food Security

By Eric Toensmeier Foreword by Dr. Hans Herren

http://www.chelseagreen.com/the-carbon-farming-solution

BOOK/Soil Not Oil Environmental Justice in an Age of Climate Crisis
Author: Vandana Shiva
https://www.northatlanticbooks.com/shop/soil-not-oil/

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For Climate Change:

Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains
as much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up
much more.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-the-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

-end-