[Southern California Permaculture] Beautiful Coral Reefs/Visual Art & Social Action/in Danger of Extinction "Should we Care? Hell yeah!"

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Nov 19 10:55:46 PST 2016

At the recent Bioneers conference there was a
focus on Coral Reefs.   Fragility of coral reefs,
they are dying at unprecedented rates, all around
the world, one of the most important ecosystems,
support our food systems we rely on from the sea. they are so beautiful!

" A healthy reef is a riot of color and sound: a
key habitat, nurturing and sustaining the ocean’s
web of life, protecting and providing for
hundreds of millions of people on coasts and
islands around the globe. Should we care? Hell yeah!" artist Louis Masai

Coral Reef Redux- watch on Vimeo:  https://vimeo.com/171567623
A Synchronicity Earth collaboration with Louis
Masai (artist) and Bernie Krause (soundscape
ecologist). Visual Art & Social Action

[]

<http://conference.bioneers.org/registration/>
[]

Coral Reefs Extinction: Thinking local, acting global

<http://www.synchronicityearth.org/blog/author/20>Jim Pettiward

Synchronicity Earth friend and fellow
species-lover, Louis Masai, is currently painting
his way across the USA drawing attention to the
extinction crisis with his
<http://louismasai.com/projects/the-art-of-beeing/>Art
of Beeing tour. He also dropped into the
<http://conference.bioneers.org/>Bioneers
conference in San Rafael, California, spoke at a
session entitled ‘Visual art and social action,’
presented two short films - made in conjunction
with Synchronicity Earth - and ran a hands-on
workshop creating ‘bee hotels’ and wild seed balls!

In common with Synchronicity Earth, whether it’s
a coral reef or a Cottontail rabbit, at the heart
of Louis' work is a desire to protect and restore
nature’s diversity where it is threatened or has been lost.

Extinction is often seen as something happening
somewhere else, in tropical rainforests or coral
reefs, rather than on our own doorstep.

Louis wants to bring the extinction crisis into
sharper focus. The world is losing unique species
and habitats at a rate unprecedented in human
history. Diversity is being replaced by
uniformity. The variety of animals, plants and
fungi - and the connections between them that
make up the earth’s ecosystems - is facing a
multitude of threats. Earth’s diversity, and the
species interactions that support ecosystem
functions, is fading, due to local and global
pressures – ranging from deforestation through to climate change.

Raising awareness of the ‘not just global, but
local’ nature of the extinction crisis, Louis’
tour will take in 12 cities; he will paint around
20 murals, each one depicting a species under
threat in the US. Much of the biodiversity in
OECD countries has already been lost. In fact,
the UK and US both rank very low in terms of
their ability to maintain their own biodiversity intact,

according to
the<https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/whatwedo/stateofnature2016>
2016 State of Nature Report:

[]

Louis’ work is intended to remind us that we are
all connected to and nurtured by the earth’s
biodiversity and we can all play a part in
protecting it. His latest paintings depict some
of the most vulnerable US species as toys,
because “if we don’t act now to stop extinction, only toys will remain.”

The Art of Beeing isn't the first time Louis has
painted endangered species. Back in 2014, he
painted a series of murals depicting endangered
UK species on walls across the capital.
<https://vimeo.com/129900424>A film capturing our
joint This is Now projectshows how people reacted
to his paintings: the appearance of a beautiful
species in an unexpected place at an unexpected
time can stop people in their tracks, giving them pause for thought.

This is Now: 56% of UK species have declined
since 1970
(<https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/whatwedo/stateofnature2016>State
of Nature Report, 2016)

Then, in 2015, the focus shifted to coral reefs.
The giant mural began to appear on a building in
east London. Not a locally-endangered species
this time. In fact, the protagonist of this piece
couldn't be further from the nature on our doorsteps.

Louis’ giant coral reef mural begged the
question: Why should we, living in an urban
metropolis, care about the fate of a distant
coral reef on the other side of the world? What
are corals anyway? Plants? Rock? Who cares?

A coral reef comes to life in the heart of London

But coral reefs are in trouble. It may be too
soon to write an
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/scientists-take-on-great-barrier-reef-obituary_us_57fff8f1e4b0162c043b068f>obituary
for coral reefs, but there is no doubt that they
are being degraded and dying out, both from
direct local pressures, such as over fishing,
pollution and development, and from warmer and
more acidic oceans resulting from climate change.
They are to some extent a bellwether for other
species and habitats, their current plight a
clear sign of what is to come if we don't act.

Coral reefs are home to a psychedelic array of
species, they are nurseries, playgrounds and love
nests for countless types of fish, molluscs,
crustaceans, sponges and other things many people have never heard of.

Larger ocean travellers – sharks, rays, turtles,
dugongs – rely on them as their ‘service
stations’ to stop by for a feed and a clean.
Corals themselves engage in mass spawning events
when the moonlight gets them in the mood.

A healthy reef is a riot of color and sound: a
key habitat, nurturing and sustaining the ocean’s
web of life, protecting and providing for
hundreds of millions of people on coasts and
islands around the globe. Should we care? Hell yeah!

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org