[Southern California Permaculture] MHG: THE ART & SCIENCE OF WINTER FRUIT TREE PRUNING!

Hugh Kelly hkelly at talk21.com
Fri Jan 6 16:42:48 PST 2017

On January 21st (or 28th if heavy rain necessitates), the California Rare Fruit Growers will host our annual fruit tree pruning workshop, starting at 10:30 – see full details below, and in this  <http://www.mesaharmonygarden.org/Flyer_20170121.html> Flyer.

Tomorrow’s Volunteer Morning (Jan. 7): 9am-12noon, will include an opportunity to scatter some seeds around to take advantage of the continuing rainfall.

Here’s our garden  <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jol_P9YjBG-9L8sh25RfDCQKRuGB7XY4X9qoWXWNxzM/edit?usp=sharing> task-list.

Garden Calendar:

Saturdays       – Volunteer work-party {9am-12noon}

Jan 14            – MHG Board Meeting {12noon-1pm}

Jan 21 (or 28) – California Rare Fruit Growers – The Art and Science of Winter Fruit Tree Pruning {10:30-12:30}

Hope to see you at the garden soon.

Thanks

Hugh

Hugh Kelly
---
President
 <http://www.mesaharmonygarden.org/> Mesa Harmony Garden

a 501(c)3 non-profit foundation

 CALIFORNIA RARE FRUIT GROWERS - Santa Barbara/Ventura chapter presents...

Peaches, apples, nectarines, plums and more…

THE ART & SCIENCE OF WINTER FRUIT TREE PRUNING!

 Expert hands-on training in the Mesa orchard

WHEN: Saturday, January 21, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm (If it rains with more than light sprinkles we’ll meet the following Saturday, Jan. 28)

WHERE: Mesa Harmony Garden, 1740 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA (corner of Dolores and Meigs).

WHAT: Learn by doing! Guided by experienced pruners, we’ll prepare the deciduous fruit trees at Mesa for a fruitful spring and summer season.

WHO: All of us! Experienced CRFG members will guide us in learning how to provide the best care for our deciduous fruit trees.

FEE: Free for members. For non-members, a $3-5 donation is suggested. ($10 membership will give you 1 year free local CRFG events, so why not join?)

DIRECTIONS: 1740 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA (corner of Dolores and Meigs). This 2/3 acre food forest/orchard grows food for the Food Bank and is on the property of Holy Cross Church, but it’s easiest to find using the following directions as the garden is on the corner of Meigs Road and Dolores Drive at the back of the property. From the 101 Freeway: Take the Carrillo St exit and head toward the ocean. Carrillo turns into Meigs Road. Head up and over the hill and turn left on Dolores Drive. Park along the street. The garden is on the corner.

PLEASE BRING:  Pruners, loppers and pruning saws if you have them. Also a folding garden chair or stool, water, sunhat, raincoat, sunscreen, umbrella, -- or whatever you need to be comfortable. If you have any fruit, refreshments or plants/seeds to share, those are welcome too!

CONTACT: For more information contact our chapter chair Larry Saltzman at  <mailto:saltzmanforest at gmail.com> saltzmanforest at gmail.com or (805) 451-4168.

WE’RE ON FACEBOOK TOO! Check out “California Rare Fruit Growers Santa Barbara Ventura Chapter” for news of upcoming meetings plus discussions about our fruit-bearing trees and other edible plants.