[Southern California Permaculture] SAVE THE DATE//APR 30/Carbon Farming Solution Event with Eric Toensmeier/SBCC Campus

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Apr 15 12:00:57 PDT 2017

Event Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/219678348511640/

The Carbon Farming Solution

With Eric Toensmeier

A Live Stream, Interactive Webinar Event on the SBCC Campus

with participating students, faculty, & the public invited

 Including a panel of key community members

The Carbon Farming Solution

Sunday, April 30, 2017,  6- 8:30pm

Admission $5, Students Free (with current i.d.)

Location: Fe Bland Auditorium/BC Forum, Santa Barbara City College (West
Campus)

800 Block of Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA

If every farmer in the USA practiced Carbon Farming, in less than 10 years,
 we would sequester ALL the CARBON that has been emitted since the
Industrial Age
Joel Salatin, POLYFACE Farm

As the climate crisis heats up, agriculture is in the hot seat, not only as
a contributor to climate change, but also as a potential solution. Eric
Toensmeier has spent the last several years tracking both, and put much of
what he learned in his seminal book, The Carbon Farming Solution.

Join us on Sunday, April 30th for a unique live interactive webinar on the
SBCC Campus, as Eric Toensmeier discusses the potential of Carbon Farming,
one of the best and most doable solutions for the Climate crisis, with an
audience of students, faculty and the general public.

Carbon is a naturally occurring chemical compound vital to life, that
provides soil its fertility and water holding capacity, but since the
industrial revolution and the advent of modern farming practices, too much
carbon has been released into the atmosphere causing climate disruption.

According to Toensmeier, Carbon farming is a suite of practices that
sequester excess atmospheric carbon while producing food and other necessary
goods.  While doing so they often provide increased yields and ecosystem
benefits.  The event will explore the global context,  but also focus on
practices suited to California, including annual cropping, tree
intercropping, grazing, silvopasture, perennial crops, and rainwater
harvesting.  Collectively carbon farming practices are a critical component
of climate change mitigation, an effort that requires a speedy
transformation of virtually every sector of our civilization.

Eric Toensmeier is a lecturer at Yale University, a senior fellow with
Project Drawdown, and the author of several books on Permaculture.
Toensmeier is also the author of The Carbon Farming Solution: A Global
Toolkit of Perennial Crops and Regenerative Agriculture Practices for
Climate Change Mitigation and Food Security.

Toensmeier will be joined by a panel of Santa Barbara community members, who
with a diverse audience of faculty, students and general public, will pose
questions specific to our region.  Hunter Francis, Director of the Cal
Poly/San Luis Obispo Center for Sustainability, will be the panel moderator.

The event takes place on Sunday, April 30, 2017, 6- 8:30pm, at the Fe
Bland/BC Forum, SBCC West Campus, 800 Block of Cliff Dr, Santa Barbara, CA
93109.  No reservations required.  Parking is free on the West Campus on
Sundays.  For more info contact Margie at sbpermacuture.org,
www.sbpermaculture.org; 805-962-2571.

Event Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/219678348511640/

SBCC Campus Map: http://sbcc.edu/map/map.php?loc=CC

Event Sponsored by:

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & the SBCC Environmental Horticulture
Dept.

 www.sbpermaculture.org

Cosponsors:  Community Environment Council (CEC), CAFES Center for
Sustainability Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara Food Alliance,

 Quail Springs Permaculture, & Orella Ranch

Learn more:

Articles referring to Carbon Farming:

Californias Grand Plan to Fight Climate Change on the Farm California/
lawmakers move toward paying farmers to adopt climate-smart practices.
http://civileats.com/2016/02/02/californias-grand-plan-to-fight-climate-chan
ge-on-the-farm-jerry-brown/

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For
Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as
much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much
more.
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-t
he-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For
Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as
much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much
more.
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-t
he-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

Permaculture RESOURCES:

Permaculture and Climate Change Adaptation Inspiring Ecological, Social,
Economic and Cultural Responses for Resilience and Transformation ; by By
Dr. Thomas Henfrey and Dr. Gil Penha-Lopes
https://www.chelseagreen.com/permaculture-subject/permaculture-and-climate-c
hange-adaptation

The Carbon Farming Solution
A Global Toolkit of Perennial Crops and Regenerative Agriculture Practices
for Climate Change Mitigation and Food Security
By Eric Toensmeier Foreword by Dr. Hans Herren
http://www.chelseagreen.com/the-carbon-farming-solution

Articles referring to Carbon Farming:

Californias Grand Plan to Fight Climate Change on the Farm California/
lawmakers move toward paying farmers to adopt climate-smart practices.
http://civileats.com/2016/02/02/californias-grand-plan-to-fight-climate-chan
ge-on-the-farm-jerry-brown/

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For
Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as
much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much
more.
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-t
he-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

Resilient Agriculture  Cultivating Food Systems for a Changing Climate, by
Laura Lengnick:
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/R/Resilient-Agriculture

Radio Interview Episode 16, COP21 Insights from the Paris Climate Conference
with Albert Bates:
http://realeyeshomestead.com/permaculture-realized-podcast-episode-16-cop21-
insights-from-the-paris-climate-conference-with-albert-bates

POLYFACES FILM trailer: http://www.polyfaces.com <http://www.polyfaces.com/>

Documentary showcasing the work of Joel Salatin & the renowned Polyface Farm
in Virginia.

-end-

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo
(805) 962-2571