[Southern California Permaculture] This Saturday! "We Can Grow Pears in Santa Barbara!"

Hugh Kelly hkelly at talk21.com
Wed Jun 14 09:48:58 PDT 2017

In addition to our regular Saturday morning work-party (9-12), this Saturday we are delighted to host CRFG for their latest informative gathering…

CALIFORNIA RARE FRUIT GROWERS - Santa Barbara/Ventura chapter presents...

WE CAN GROW PEARS IN SANTA BARBARA!

A Roundtable discussion on the joys and challenges of growing this beautiful fruit in our area

Also includes a FRUIT EXCHANGE if you have extra fruit of any kind to share

WHEN: Saturday, June 17, 10:30am – 12:30pm

WHAT: Many local homeowners haven’t yet discovered the ease and joy of growing pear trees in Santa Barbara and Ventura. Come and learn more – and share any experiences you’ve had of best cultivars, rootstocks, culture tips and practices – including great ways to add pears to your salad and dessert menus.

WHERE: Mesa Harmony Garden, 1740 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA (corner of Dolores and Meigs).

WHO: A panel of local experts and YOU. Share your experience and challenges with fellow members.

FEE: CRFG Members and MHG Volunteers free, $3 - $5 donation suggested for non-members. ($10 membership will give you 1 whole year free local CRFG events, so why not join?) 2017 MEMBERSHIP IS NOW DUE!

PLEASE BRING: Folding garden chair or stool so we can sit in a circle. Fruit, plants, seeds and baked goodies to share are also welcome! And of course sunhat, water, sunscreen, umbrella or whatever you need to be comfortable. We love your doggies, but please leave them at home.

DIRECTIONS:  1740 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA (corner of Dolores and Meigs). This 2/3 acre food forest/orchard grows food for the Food Bank and is on the property of Holy Cross Church, but it’s easiest to find using the following directions as the garden is on the corner of Meigs Road and Dolores Drive at the back of the property. From the 101 Freeway: Take the Carrillo St exit and head toward the ocean. Carrillo turns into Meigs Road. Head up and over the hill and turn left on Dolores Drive. Park along the street. The garden is on the corner.

For more information contact Larry Saltzman at saltzmanforest at gmail.com <mailto:saltzmanforest at gmail.com>  or (805) 451-4168