[Southern California Permaculture] Saturday - Planting the Understory

Hugh Kelly hkelly at talk21.com
Thu Sep 21 13:04:04 PDT 2017

This Saturday, in addition to our normal volunteer work-party, we're hosting
a workshop and discussion with the California Rare Fruit Growers on
"Planting the Understory" {10:30-12:30}. More details below.

Special requests - please email me if you can help:

1.	We'll be picking up rocks for the garden on Weds afternoon next week
- Sept. 27th.
2.	I need help organizing our potluck celebration lunch-party on
October 21st.

Anyone who is interested in joining the Master Gardener program should check
out the details for the 2018 training
<http://cesantabarbara.ucanr.edu/Master_Gardener/Interested_in_Becoming_a_Ma
ster_Gardener/Apply_for_2017_Training_Class/> here (application deadline
Sept. 27). Mesa Harmony Garden is an official project of the Master
Gardeners, which is part of UC Cooperative Extension.

Here's our garden
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jol_P9YjBG-9L8sh25RfDCQKRuGB7XY4X9qoWXWNx
zM> task-list.

Garden Calendar:

Saturdays       - Volunteer work-party {9am-12noon}

September 23 - Workshop and discussion with CRFG on "Planting the
Understory" {10:30-12:30}

October 14      - * Canceled * CRFG event.

October 21      - Anniversary Potluck Lunch - Come and help us celebrate the
garden's 7th anniversary {12noon}

Hope to see you at the garden soon.

Thanks

Hugh

Hugh Kelly
---
President
 <http://www.mesaharmonygarden.org/> Mesa Harmony Garden

a 501(c)3 non-profit foundation

PLANTING THE UNDERSTORY!

What to plant under, around and up your fruit trees. Beneficial-attractors,
vines, nitrogen fixers, bioaccumulators, bulbs, succulents.

Also includes a FRUIT EXCHANGE & TASTING if you have extra fruit of any kind
to share

WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 23, 10:30am - 12:30pm

WHAT: What can you plant under your fruit trees to conserve water, protect
and feed the soil and tree roots - and maybe provide another food or beauty
crop at the same time? We'll share tips, tricks and names of best living
mulches for you to try in your garden!

WHERE: Mesa Harmony Garden, 1740 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA (corner of
Dolores and Meigs).

WHO: A panel of local experts and YOU. Share your experience and challenges
with fellow members.

FEE: Members free, $3 - $5 donation suggested for non-members. ($10
membership will give you 1 whole year free local CRFG events, so why not
join?)

PLEASE BRING: Folding garden chair or stool so we can sit in a circle.
Fruit, plants, seeds and baked goodies to share are also welcome! And of
course sunhat, water, sunscreen, umbrella or whatever you need to be
comfortable. We love your doggies, but please leave them at home.

DIRECTIONS:  From the 101 Freeway: Take the Carrillo St exit and head toward
the ocean. Carrillo turns into Meigs Road. Head up and over the hill and
turn left on Dolores Drive. Park along the street. The garden is on the
corner.

For more information contact Larry Saltzman at
<mailto:saltzmanforest at gmail.com> saltzmanforest at gmail.com or (805) 451-4168

WE'RE ON FACEBOOK TOO! Check out "California Rare Fruit Growers Santa
Barbara Ventura Chapter" for news of upcoming meetings plus discussions
about our fruit-bearing trees and other edible plants.