[Southern California Permaculture] How To Save Pumpkin Seeds, Step by Step

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Nov 1 12:46:50 PDT 2017

So you've always wanted to learn how to save seeds - since Halloween over
and there are likely lots of pumpkins around, how about starting with a
pumpkin?  Kids love the squishy part.

And remember, the next Santa Barbara Annual Community Seed Swap is only a
few months away on Sunday, January 28, 2018.  We hope lots of home gardeners
are saving their own seeds to share this time in honor of the Seed Swaps
10th Anniversary!  Stay tuned for details, we will be at a brand new
location, Trinity Gardens, where there will be lots of space, indoors &
outdoors.

>From the Grow Network:

How To Save Pumpkin Seeds, Step by Step

http://thegrownetwork.com/grow-jack-o-lanterns-learn-save-pumpkin-seeds/

Are you ready to pack away seeds like a kleptomaniac squirrel so you never
have to buy another pumpkin from the store again? I will help.

Step 1: Gut the Pumpkin and Save the Slop!

The inner cavity of pumpkin and winter squash is filled with a stringy mess
of pumpkin bits and seeds. This isn't the "good eating" part of the pumpkin,
so it's not worth trying to save any of the stringy mass, except for the
seeds. In order to do that, move on to step two!

Step 2: Clean the Pumpkin Seeds

I dump pumpkin guts and seeds into a colander and swish them around under
running water to clean them off, smashing the goop through the holes and
separating the strings. If you'd like to save pumpkin seeds for eating
rather than planting, you can just go directly to roasting them at this
point.

For seed-saving purposes, I've sometimes let pumpkin guts sit on the counter
for a few days and rot around the seeds. This smells bad but really loosens
up the seeds when you wash them out. I think it may also increase the
germination rate but I haven't tried a side-by-side trial.

Step 3: Dry The Seeds

Seed-covered paper towels on counters, windowsills, shelves, tabletops,
dressers and even the bathroom counter are common in our house during the
fall as we save pumpkin seeds alongside the other heirlooms we want to plant
in our spring gardens.

Spread your pumpkin seeds out someplace where they won't get wet again. Also
make sure they aren't too wet when you spread them out (sometimes I pat them
down with one paper towel, then spread them onto a second) and have good air
circulation as you most definitely do not want them germinating on your
counter. They should dry quickly. This will also keep them from molding as
easily in storage and potentially losing their ability to germinate.

Step 4: Make Seed Packets and Pack 'em Up!

There are better ways to make seed packets, but I just rip a sheet of paper
in half, fold that, then fold up the edges a few times and tape them. You
can  <https://youtu.be/hEbqj-5oY84> see how in the video - it's very simple.

Because I'm cheap and hate throwing things away too fast, I use scrap paper
from the children's homeschool assignments or pieces the toddler has doodled
upon.

My friend Steven Edholm has  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioub3uAsfSU>
better looking seed packets, but they're a bit small for the amount of
pumpkin seeds I store.

I also illustrate my homemade seed packets, which is NOT OPTIONAL. You have
to draw on them. You just have to. It's the rule.

Along with a drawing of the mother pumpkin, I also note the variety, the
harvest year and notes on type. This is important as I work on my pumpkin
breeding projects, but for your pumpkin seed saving, you likely just need to
note the type or draw a nice picture of the headless horseman.

If you live in a humid climate or need to store seeds for a longer period,
you can dry pumpkin seeds a little further in a dehydrator and then pack
them in tightly shut Mason jars stowed in the fridge.

That's it, the whole scoop on how to save pumpkin seeds. Happy gardening and
enjoy the rest of October.

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org