[Southern California Permaculture] Sharing Facebook Post/ Jan 14 Insights from inside the disaster area.

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Jan 14 14:36:50 PST 2018

Amazing all the people who are working on our communities behalf.    This
post is a facebook post from Jaqueline Rubasky, share if you feel
appropriate.  Margie

January 14: Insights from inside the disaster area.

Montecito Community Thomas Fire Network facebook post

<https://www.facebook.com/jacqueline.rubasky?fref=gs&hc_ref=ARQSi4iq8LMvEMQb
1cC8nQsG8z9IGwZsUUUxrzW7LQi-4ZHILe-NaXS8NlM3J2o4iW8&dti=105384633586961&hc_l
ocation=group> Jacqueline Rubasky

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105384633586961/permalink/144105136381577/

We have a few things to share tonight.

We still have some people in the community that are yelling at the police
officers at the check-points.

This is a sign that the trauma of this natural disaster is having an effect
on people and that these individuals need to go within for self-care.

The police at the check points are working 12 hour shifts. I spoke with a
team that came in from SLO who are away from their families. They have been
working very hard and making personal sacrifices. They are human. Have
compassion and understanding. We are all on the same side. It is very unkind
and toxic to yell at anyone let alone someone that is trying to protect you
from harm.

Please begin to surrender to the idea that the roads may stay closed longer
than you want them to be and that you will be away from home longer than you
would like. What if the 101 does not open until the end of January?  What if
the next rain event brings with it additional flows? You may be away from
home much longer than you had originally planned. Surrendering and
acceptance verses fighting with reality will bring peace.

The volunteer program with Help California is going well and food is being
collected and distributed inside 2X a day. This is a highly coordinated
effort that follows very strict security clearance measures. The two person
team makes only one stop at the Von's parking lot and returns using the same
route. They deliver coffee, drinks and food. Tomorrow we will have a list of
every business and brand that has donated products so far.

We have learned that our fire fighters, search and rescue, drivers and
everyone working inside likes healthy food and beverages. They prefer
coconut water for the electrolytes verses Vitamin Water. There are also many
vegans. Food donations right now are ok until mid-next week. We need to
watch the next rain event and want to only ask for what can be immediately
used.

The Village Cheese Shop & Wine is making sandwiches for everyone inside and
providing alternative options to the meals The Food Bank is providing. The
GoFundMe for Village Cheese Shop & Wine has been looked into and it is
legitimate. Please help support their efforts.

Von's is open and they are able to get some deliveries in. They are also
supplying food.

Starbucks is closed.

The two people making the deliveries said that the humbleness, hard work and
compassion of the first responders and everyone working on the disaster is
like nothing they have seen before. One firefighter brought them a turtle to
take out. All life is sacred to them.

When you start to get frustrated by being away from home or anger starts to
well up and you want to criticize any of the decisions or efforts by these
remarkable people please work to muster every bit of mindfulness and thank
your brain for sharing and don't act on it. Don't throw your anger and
emotional unrest onto these people. Just don't. Own it and process it in a
healthy way. An angry word or thought against another is like a negative
prayer. It sends bad energy to them and weakens them. We need everyone
strong, focused and powerful.

Understanding our watershed, hydrology and geography is important. There
will be a talk by Professor Ed Keller of UCSB at Central Library's Faulkner
Gallery on January 25 at 6:30 p.m. He will discuss fluvial geomorphology and
this event.

Fluvial geomorphology is the study of the form and function of streams and
the interaction between streams and the landscape around them. 'Fluvial'
refers to the processes associated with running waters, 'geo' refers to
earth and 'morphology' refers to channel shape.

One last comment about the dumping of the debris on the beach. What people
don't realize is the ocean is the natural outlet for all waterways - at
least where we are. If people are worried about the hazardous condition, it
has already occurred. The people that wanted to clean up the beach were
unaware of the hazard, due to bacteria, etc.

If you have concerns about the dumping please call the Incident Information
number.

There are experts that are looking at the big picture, and are making
decisions based on local conditions, natural progression, etc.

Everyone understands you are concerned. However, this is not an oil spill or
a man-made incident. This is a large scale, major disaster...a Natural
Disaster.

Beaches are being used as staging areas for the debris, and will be hauled
out later.
<https://www.facebook.com/jacqueline.rubasky?fref=gs&hc_ref=ARQSi4iq8LMvEMQb
1cC8nQsG8z9IGwZsUUUxrzW7LQi-4ZHILe-NaXS8NlM3J2o4iW8&dti=105384633586961&hc_l
ocation=group> Jacqueline Rubasky

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org