[Southern California Permaculture] *FULL DETAILS/10TH Annual Seed Swap/Speakers/Talks/Activities/Sun JAN 28

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Jan 25 22:32:02 PST 2018

Seed Swap UPDATE, all the details below, exhibitors, speakers, activities &
volunteer opportunities.

10th Annual Santa Barbara Community

Seed Swap

Sunday, January 28, 2018

1:30-4:30pm, Free - Rain or Shine!

A celebration to bring seeds & people together

NEW LOCATION

Trinity Gardens @ Trinity Lutheran Church, 909 North La Cumbre Road, Santa
Barbara, CA

A community program hosted by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & Trinity
Gardens
 <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/> www.sbpermaculture.org;
www.trinitygardenssb.org <http://www.trinitygardenssb.org>

The seed swap is just around the corner, we hope you can join us, it's our
10th Anniversary!

And we are especially happy to be co-hosting this year with Trinity Gardens
at their gorgeous location, with lots of room, indoors & outdoors.

Don't forget  to bring markers, pens, pencils, bags, envelopes, seed saving
containers (zero waste our goal) and mark all your seed donations with as
much information as possible; good seed saving etiquette suggests including,
plant name (common & scientific), where grown, date collected, etc.  Most
seeds are best if no more than 3 years old.  And bring your favorite seed
catalogs to put on our community table if you have some to share.  All
welcome, even if you have no seeds to share.

We can always use volunteers. See bottom of this email for ways to help.

Once again we will honor a Local Food Hero, this year the honor goes to
Jerry Sortomme, former SBCC Environmental Horticulture Department Chair for
22 years, and so much more.  We invite you to bring photos & memories to
share if you have them to put on special display table.  Jerry will be
honored at 2:15 pm.

See below for all the Details & Activities!

*	Take a Tour or walk around Trinity Gardens on your own
*	Picnic at tables near the gardens if you want to bring food
*	Enjoy music outside with:  Glendessary Jam

Thank You, Thank You, A Moment of Gratitude for all those who worked on our
behalf during fire & flood, including our growers & farmers who kept on
going even when many needed to leave town, with air too smoky to breathe.
We owe so much, to so many.  2:10pm

Local Food Hero Award honoring Jerry Sortomme: Fellowship Hall - 2:15 pm

Kids Activities Fellowship Hall - ongoing, 1:30 - 4 pm

Seed Swap Talks Schedule: 2:20 - 4:45

Fellowship Hall  - Two Classroom Locations:  Music Room & Fireside Room
(location & times subject to change):

*	2:30 - 2:50  Seed Saving 101   with Oscar Carmona of Healing Grounds
Nursery (Music Room)
*	2:30 - 2:50 Maya Food Forest Gardens   with El Pilar & Meso American
Research Center (Fireside Room)

*	3-3:20 - Seed Stories & Seed Libraries - Community Partners &
Collaborators!   with Elizabeth Johnson, SLO Seed Exchange (Music Room)
*	3-3:20 - Leave Your Carbon Footprint in the Garden,   with Michael
Wittman, Blue Sky Biochar (Fireside Room)

*	3:30-3:50 - Ancient Seeds & Grains-Old World Superfoods with Larry
Kandarian of Kandarian Farms (Music Room)
*	4-4:20 - Healthy Soils with Permaculture ~ Matt Powers (Fireside
Room)

Exhibitors - All exhibits inside Fellowship Hall:

*	Emma's Chilis & Monarch Butterfly Display
*	BeeKeepers Guild of Santa Barbara
*	Landtrust of Santa Barbara County
*	La Huerta Old Historic Gardens
*	Master Gardeners of Santa Barbara
*	Mesa Harmony Gardens
*	El Pilar & Meso American Research Center
*	Kandarian Farms/Larry Kandarian
*	San Luis Obispo (SLO) Seed Exchange
*	Blue Sky Biochar
*	Healing Grounds Biodynamic Nursery
*	Trinity Gardens
*	Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
*	Matt Powers - Permaculture Regenerative Gardening/Author of
Permaculture Student 2
*	Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
*	Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
*	Rincon Vitova
*	Book & Community Table (bring your fliers & community announcements)

Volunteer Opportunities:

Some of the jobs we could use help with (just reply to this email if you can
help):

*	SET UP, between 12:30 -1:30pm: help with general set up, tables,
chairs, signage
*
*	help exhibitors unload their cars from the curb
*
*	Be a greeter as people arrive, point out location of gardens,
restrooms, exhibitors, where talks will take place
*
*	timekeepers & assistants for the talks (make speaker intros, etc)
*
*	if you have plant knowledge, assist with questions in the "Seed
Island" in the middle of the room & community table
*
*	Keep seed trays in Seed Island filled & tidy
*
*	Volunteer PHOTOGRAPHER to document the day in photos
*
*	Spanish Translations - if exhibitors need assistance with
translations for their displays (we encourage)
*
*	BREAK DOWN between 4:45 & 5:15pm: help put chairs away, sweep
floors, make sure room clean; help exhibitors break down & carry out

Hope to see you soon!

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org