[Southern California Permaculture] Seed Swap Updates!/Sun JAN 27 1:30-4:30pm FREE

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Jan 24 09:51:29 PST 2019

Updates, speaker schedule, exhibitor list, volunteer opportunities, Mobile
Café food truck & more

11th Annual Santa Barbara Community Seed Swap

Sunday, January 27, 2019

 1:30-4:30 pm, Rain or Shine - Free

Location: Trinity Community Gardens

Trinity Lutheran Church, 909 North La Cumbre Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93110

A celebration to bring seeds & people together

The seed swap is just around the corner, we hope you can join us!

Seed swapping is about engaging your community while sharing seeds with
friends & neighbors and exchanging knowledge & ideas.  And it makes you
happy!

Don’t forget  to bring markers, pens, pencils, bags, envelopes, seed saving
containers (less plastic please, zero waste our goal) and mark all your seed
donations with as much information as possible; good seed saving etiquette
suggests including, plant name (common & scientific), where grown, date
collected, etc.  Most seeds are best if no more than 3 years old.

We are always grateful for volunteers.  See below for ways to help.

Current seed catalogs to put on our community information table welcome if
you have some to share.

See below for exhibitors, speakers & children’s activities, and this year,
we are happy to have the Mobile Café food truck with the Hungry Planet 100%
plant based menu join us, bring some extra dollars to spend for delicious
snacks & lunches!

*	Trinity Gardens guided & self-guided tours
*	Picnic tables available for outdoor picnics (near the community
gardens)
*	Enjoy music outside with: Glendessary Jam
*	Mobile Café food truck (1:30-3:30pm)

Music -  Glendessary Jam – Fellowship entrance outdoor patio

Kids Activities – Fellowship Hall entrance Activity Room - 1:30 – 4pm

Local Food Hero Award –  Fellowship entrance outdoor patio:  2:15 – Honoring
Nancy Weiss, Director of Food Services for the Santa Barbara Unified School
District (see attachment).

Seed Swap Speaker Schedule – (location & times subject to change):

*	2:30 – 2:50  Seed Saving 101/ Elizabeth Johnson, SLO Seed Exchange
(Music Room)
*	2:30 – 2:50  Compost Tea & Biology of the Rhizosphere/Dave White,
Ojai CRA (Fireside Room)
*
*	3-3:20 – Growing Moringa in Cooler Climates/ Mariko Davis, Moringa
for Peace (Music Room)
*	3-3:20 – Did the Maya Destroy or Create Their Landscapes/Maya Forest
Gardens/Anabel Ford, El Pilar (Fireside Room)
*
*	3:30-3:50 – Sacred Seeds of the Peruvian Andes/Amalia Galpert (Music
Room)
*	3:30-3:50 – Biochar & It’s Role in Creating Living Soil/Michael
Wittman, Blue Sky Biochar (Fireside Room)
*	3:30-3:50 – Bee City USA Initiative/Kathy Rem, Beekeepers Guild of
Santa Barbara (Room TBA)
*
*	4-4:20 – Safely Eating Grains/Ancient Grains/Larry Kandarian,
Kandarian Organic Farm  (Music Room)
*	4-4:20 – Building Beneficial Insect Habitat/Ron Whitehurst,
Rincon-Vitova (Fireside Room)

Exhibitors:

*	Emma’s Backyard Chilis & Monarch Butterfly Display
*	BeeKeepers Guild of Santa Barbara
*	Blue Sky Biochar
*	Kusa Seed Society
*	Moringa for Peace
*	Ojai CRA - Center for Regenerative Agriculture
*	Explore Ecology School Garden Program
*	Master Gardeners of Santa Barbara
*	Mesa Harmony Gardens
*	El Pilar & Meso American Research Center
*	Kandarian Organic Farms/Ancient Seed Grains
*	San Luis Obispo (SLO) Seed Exchange
*	Sacred Seeds of Peruvian Andes
*	Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
*	Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
*	Santa Barbara Aquaponics
*	Sustainable World Radio
*	Trinity Gardens
*	Pilgrim Terrace & Franklin Center Gardens
*	Rincon-Vitova Beneficial Insectaries
*	Community Table (community announcements)

Volunteer jobs:

Some of the jobs we could use help with (just reply to this email if you can
help):

*	help organizations with exhibit tables unload their cars from the
curb (12:45pm)
*	greeters for entrance table
*	timekeepers & assistants for the talks (make intros, etc)
*	if you have plant knowledge, assist with questions in the "Seed
Island" in the middle of the room
*	Keep seed trays in Seed Island filled & tidy
*	Volunteer PHOTOGRAPHER to document the day in photos
*	Spanish Translations - if exhibitors would like assistance with
translations for their displays
*	BREAK DOWN & clean up

.

An annual community event hosted by:

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/ipc.html>
& Trinity Gardens <http://www.trinitygardenssb.org/>

Co-Sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Trinity Gardens,

Island Seed & Feed, Blue Sky Biochar,

Healing Grounds Biodynamic Nursery, & Ojai CRA - Center for Regenerative
Agriculture

Event Facebook page (English & Spanish):
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/>
https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/
 <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>
More Info:  <mailto:Margie at sbpermaculture.org> Margie at sbpermaculture.org,
(805) 962-2571

Seeds, they are our past, they are our future. Come join us as we encourage
our community to save and grow out seed specific to our own climate and
place, while honoring our ancestors gift & legacy.

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
 <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/> http://www.sbpermaculture.org