[Southern California Permaculture] TONIGHT!/Event Celebrating Beavers/Film & Fun/ 7-9pm Bici Centro

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Jun 28 10:09:30 PDT 2019

Hope to see you tonight for a special community event!  Some reminders & helpful tips– Parking is on the street (no parking lot at Bici Centro) so come a little early, park on the street in surrounding areas.  Chairs provided, but if you want to bring a low beach chair & blanket, especially if you have kids, we will put kids up front to watch the film.  Snack donations welcome.   It’s an outdoor event, so dress appropriately to keep warm (sometimes the fog rolls in).  Bici Centro is a bike center, fun, but funky,  a concrete patio courtyard (no grass).    <http://www.sbbike.org/> Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (Bici Centro)

Location: SB Bicycle Coalition/Bici Centro, 434 Olive St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (Olive & Haley)

Beaver Lodge Float from Summer Solstice Parade on display!  Face painting & improv puppet show prior to the film.  Everyone encouraged to bring artwork, poems, or favorite books about beavers to share.

Read More…

Join us for an evening celebrating our new climate & ecosystem heroes, the beavers!

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network hosts an evening of fun & film, featuring the award winning film,  <https://vimeo.com/133200746> The Beaver Believers, to be shown in the spacious outdoor courtyard patio of Bici Centro ( <http://www.sbbike.org/> Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition), in downtown Santa Barbara.  Families welcome, bring your own picnic sandwiches, snacks provided.

The Beaver Believers documentary film tells the urgent, yet whimsical story of an unlikely cadre of activists – a biologist, a hydrologist, a botanist, an ecologist, a psychologist and an hairdresser – who share a common vision: restoring the North American Beaver, the most industrious, ingenious, bucktoothed little engineer, to the watersheds of the American West.

The Beaver Believers encourage us to embrace a new paradigm for managing our western lands, one that seeks to partner with the natural world rather overpower it.  As a keystone species, beavers enrich their ecosystems, creating the biodiversity, complexity, and resiliency our watersheds need so desperately to absorb the impacts of climate change.

Beavers can show us the way, and do much of the work for us, if only we find the humility to trust the restorative power of nature and our own ability to pay a positive role within it.

Shot in eight western states, also Mexico and Canada, through desert drought, raging wild fires and floods, and wetland tranquility, the Beavers Believers film will change the way you think about climate change and inspire you to think about the opportunities of working with nature for solutions.

Most south coast residents aren’t aware beavers were in our region, and some still remaining, but when hiking in the backcountry behind Santa Barbara and Ventura, you might come across beaver rock art done by the original native peoples of this land, proving beaver have been here for thousands of years.  Let’s welcome them back to help rehydrate the land!

Ray Cirino, local artist, has fallen in love with beaver, and will display and share his Summer Solstice Beaver Float, and other beaver artwork.  Others are encouraged to bring artwork, poems, or favorite books about beavers to share.

The free event takes place on Friday, June 28, 7 – 9pm, and will be held at  <http://www.sbbike.org/> Bici Centro, 434 Olive Street, in an outdoor courtyard (dress appropriately).  Please come early to explore the community bike center, the beaver artwork & float, impromptu puppet show, face painting, feel free to bring sandwiches, informally picnic, some snacks provided.  The event is FREE and no reservations are required.  More Info:  <mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org> margie at sbpermaculture.org; www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org> ;  805-962-2571.

-This event is a part of the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Civics 101 for Climate Change educational series-

Event Co-sponsors:

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & the  <http://www.sbbike.org/> Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (Bici Centro)

More Info:

 <http://www.sbpermaculture.org;/> Santa Barbara Permaculture Network