[Southern California Permaculture] Free to Learn - All Ages Play Day - Nature-based

Lindsay maypop at riseup.net
Sun Jul 7 21:19:53 PDT 2019

Hi there Santa Barbara (and surrounding area) folks!

I told myself I would write this email (finally) before going to bed.

I am interested in hearing back from those of you interested in
nature-based learning, Peter Gray's work (see links below), and
unschooling.

(((By the way, I am not interested in creating a discussion around the
the topic of mixed-age learning or unschooling...I would simply like to
organize a play day.)))

In the spirit of Peter Gray's work, and, what I sense is the primal
blueprint of learning.......I would LOVE to ORGANIZE AN ALL-AGES PLAY
DAY that would be a weekly, designated day...

My little one, Zoe, is 20 months old.  She will be an only child.  I am
eager to create a safe space with other care-givers for children of
various ages to play and interact with each other, in a natural space,
with minimal adult influence.  So yeah, I'm talking babies to teenagers.
 And, an outdoor space would be ideal so that they can explore the local
ecology and learn about this while playing.

I am almost done reading Peter Gray's book, Free to Learn, and it has
been very affirming for me.  Affirming, to understand the natural drive
our little ones have to learn...as well as, the ability for older
children to teach and model for young ones (allowing little ones to
learn from them)...and for older children to develop nurturing skills
with little ones...  I can already see how Zoe wants to play with older
kids and to learn from them (when the opportunity arises)...and I
understand how important these interactions are.

One day, she will be the older child teaching and offering care <3

A friend of mine in Austin sent me Gray's book...that's how it landed in
my hands.  She lives near a library where the head librarian is a
supporter of Gray's work and the unschooling movement.  Because of the
influence the book had on her life, she created a safe space, at the
library, for children of all ages to play together every day of the week
(during library hours).  The story is inspiring, to me.

What I would like to do is to create a trial run of an all-age play day
in Santa Barbara.  A Wednesday or Thursday morning would work best for
me.  10 am to lunch time (around 1 pm?)...???  People can come and go as
they please, of course.  Maybe we can try this for July-August and see
what happens?

Location -- Stevens Park?

Start date -- some time this month?

If you are interested, please email me your day and time preference...
Feel free to share anything else you would like to.  Eventually, I'll
send out a group email with details...

And, just so you know a bit about me...  I have a background in
non-profit management, social services, and working in at-risk
communities.  I am an herbalist, now...and have an penchant for all
things botanical...  Although, most of my time now directed toward
raising my daughter.

Gray's book -
https://www.amazon.com/Free-Learn-Unleashing-Instinct-Self-Reliant/dp/0465084990/

Interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSo5njIuVHo

Article -
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/freedom-learn/201612/why-our-coercive-system-schooling-should-topple

I have educators in my family, so his work is very exciting for me to
explore...

And, some of you out there may have gone to Gray's talk at Rock Tree Sky
in Ojai -- I believe it was in March?

Ok, here we go!  I hope some of you out there are interested in this
idea!

Take care, Lindsay

---
personal website: www.madhupamaypop.com