[Southern California Permaculture] powerful article about climate activist Greta Thunberg

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Sun Jul 21 13:50:03 PDT 2019

<< Earlier this month Opec declared Thunberg, and with her the other young climate activists, the “greatest threat” to the fossil fuel industry <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/05/biggest-compliment-yet-greta-thunberg-welcomes-oil-chiefs-greatest-threat-label>. Thunberg tweeted them <https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1146700304219553792> her thanks. “Our biggest compliment yet.” Hers is a voice totally unlike the world’s usual power-cacophony: clean, simple, inclusive, the voice of someone refusing to beguile. She talks ethics to politics without flinching. She cuts through the media white noise and political rabble-rousing to get to the essentials. This is a communal voice and Thunberg is its lightning conductor <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/28/generation-greta-young-climate-activists-around-world>, and no wonder: when you hear her speak or you read her speeches you know you’re in the presence of the opposite of cynicism – of a
spirit, in fact, that rebuffs cynicism and knows that the way we act, every single one of us, has transformatory impact and consequence. “The real power belongs to the people.” >>

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jul/21/great-thunberg-you-ask-the-questions-see-us-as-a-threat