[Ccpg] I'm teaching Permaculture course next semester at SBCC

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Dec 14 16:39:49 PST 2008

Hi there Permaculture folks -

I just wanted to officially get the word out that
I will be co-teaching a Permaculture Design
course at SBCC this coming semester (Thursdays
from 2-5:20p).  My co-instructors will be Mike
Gonella (head of SBCC Environmental Horticulture
Dept.), in addition to several local guest
teachers.  It will be offered through the college
itself (not adult ed.), and is cross-listed
between the Environmental Studies and
Environmental Horticulture Depts. -- ENVS 210 and
EH 210.
At this time, the course is not approved as an
official PDC, but we look forward to being able
to offer a certificate-based course in the near
future.  We will model this course after the
format of a PDC, however, and will include
discussions of all the primary PDC course topics
in addition to a final group design project.

We are super excited to be offering this course
through SBCC; we look forward to interacting with
what we expect to be a diverse group of
environmental studies and environmental
horticulture students combined with SB-area
community members at large.  The cost for this
50-hour course is under $40, so it will be
accessible to many who cannot afford most
permaculture courses (thanks to Environmental
Studies Dept. Head, Adam Green, for facilitating
the curriculum approval process at SBCC and
making this course offering possible).

Regardless of your level of experience with
permaculture, we would love for you to come be a
part of the first (inaugural) SBCC Permaculture
Class!  The curriculum detail and weekly schedule
is coming together at this point, but I have not
yet contacted everyone whom I would like to
involve as guest speakers/teachers.  If you feel
you have something to contribute to the class,
and would rather pop in and share a bit than take
the whole course, please let me know soon.
However, I'd encourage you to sign up for the
course if you can, since we need a minimum of 20
students for the course to take place (maximum
30).

In case you don't know me, here's a little bit
about how I came to where I am...
- I'm a Goleta local
- earned my B.S. in Zoology at UC Davis and my
M.S. in Ecology at the U of Arizona
- experienced in ecological field work with
birds, plants, and some small mammals
- experienced with restoration ecology (locally)
through Coal Oil Point Reserve and SB Audubon
- taught intro bio, ecology, and environmental
field studies at SBCC from 2002-2005
- got involved with permaculture in 2004 through
Margie and Wes, and got my PDC at Occidental Arts
and Ecology Center in 2005
- lived in SLC, Utah for past 2 years leading the
permaculture program (and the community forestry
program) at a non-profit called TreeUtah
- just moved back to town this summer and am
excited to be involved in the SB area
permaculture goings-on again!

Pass the word, please, and feel free to
distribute the attached flier widely.  Thanks for
your time and energy,
Kendy Radasky
(961-9378)
kendyrad at verizon.net

Permaculture Design Course*
at Santa Barbara City College
January 29th - May 21st, 2008
15 Thursdays, 2-5:20pm
Taught by Kendy Radasky and Mike Gonella (with guest teachers)

Permaculture is a design system that enables
humans to interact in a positive and regenerative
way with our surroundings, as we consciously
create lifeways that focus on emulating natural
patterns such as diversity, connectivity,
resilience, flow, and cycling.

Everyone can learn permaculture design principles
and techniques and apply them fruitfully to their
livesŠ including: students, architects, massage
therapists, homeowners, environmental/social
activists, medical professionals, teachers,
retired people,  gardeners, dancers, and more!

Topics of this course will include: the
philosophy and ethics of permaculture, concepts
and methods of design, pattern understanding,
ecological functions of soils and plants,
relocalizing food production, water harvesting
systems, animal systems, natural building,
renewable energy, and building community
connections (among others).

Our goals with this course:
·      inclusive and empowering
·      breadth and depth
·      creative teaching styles (including lots
of group and hands-on activities)
·      affordable (~$40 including all SBCC fees)
·      practice your skills to create your own design

Join us in our efforts to create a more
sustainable Earth Community - sign up for SBCC's
first Permaculture Design class.  We look forward
to learning with you!

Enroll online at www.sbcc.edu or on the SBCC campus.
Course is cross-listed as Environmental Studies
(ENVS) 210 (CRN # 59034) and Environmental
Horticulture (EH) 210 (CRN # 59033).

* This is not currently a certificate-based (PDC) course.

Questions or problems?  Contact Kendy Radasky at
kendyrad at verizon.net or 961-9378.

"Tell me, what is it that you plan to do with
your one wild and precious life?"  -Mary Oliver

<mailto:kendyrad at verizon.net>kendyrad at verizon.net

Enroll online at <http://www.sbcc.edu>www.sbcc.edu or on the SBCC campus.

<mailto:kendyrad at verizon.net>kendyrad at verizon.net
or 961-9378.