[Ccpg] Small livestock for urban & suburban gardens

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Mon Feb 16 13:12:11 PST 2009

> http://sharonastyk.com/2009/02/12/little-livestock-for-urban-and-suburban-gardens/

We posted this at the transiiton CA site as well.
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/forum/topics/little-livestock-for-urban-and

> Little Livestock for Urban and Suburban Gardens
> Sharon February 12th, 2009
> For most people with a medium sized yard, a little livestock will
> allow you to do a little more with your space than you can probably
> do without them.  It isn’t a perfect equation, of course, they take
> up space, cost money and consume food.  But often, the net return,
> the net pleasure of the experience, and the quality of the food,
> manure and environment means you get more than you put in.  One of
> the most important things you can do is keep records, so you know
> that you are getting more back than you put in.
>
> When you get livestock, however, you need to ask yourself some
> questions.
>
>  1. What do I really expect from them?  Am I being realistic?  -
> There usually is no perfect creature out there.  The perfect goat,
> the perfect chicken breed - maybe they exist, maybe not, but what
> really matters are your expectations.
>
> 2. Am I a livestock person? Animals require your attention every
> day.  When it is freezing out, the rabbits may need their water
> replaced 3 or 4 times a day. The chickens molt and stop laying.
> Everything escapes occasionally and has to be chased around.  Even
> if you plan to eat an animal, that’s no excuse (in fact, IMHO, it is
> less excuse) for not keeping it warm, safe, healthy and well cared
> for during its life.  Don’t get animals you don’t plan to take real
> and proper care of.
>
> 3. Am I prepared to put it out of its misery?  Peter Bane,
> permaculturist extraordinaire, once answered a question by saying
> “If you’ve got livestock, sooner or later you’ll have deadstock.”
> And sooner or later, you are going to have an animal who is
> suffering, or that you want to eat, or that needs to be removed from
> your breeding, and you will have to kill it, or get someone to.
> That is, even the most ardent vegetarian may have to kill an animal
> that is suffering.  If you aren’t able to do this, or find someone
> who is, think hard about whether it is a good idea.  IMHO, our
> animals deserve lives with as little pain as possible - and that
> means that relieving their pain when it gets to be too much is part
> of our job.
>
> 4. Am I ready to raise meat animals?  You don’t have to eat the
> animals you raise - hens, quail, angora rabbits… these animals can
> be productive pets.  But if you are going to raise a meat animal,
> you have to be ready to butcher them - or find a pro.  Learn how to
> do it before you need to, and make sure you will be able to do it
> humanely.
>
> 5. Think about how they will be fed if the supply lines get cut.  If
> you are planning on raising chickens for long term food self-
> sufficiency, great.  But ask yourself where their food will come
> from if the feed store closes near you.   Think about alternatives.
> Moreover, my feeling is that as much as possible, our meat should
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director
HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope
2975 Vineyard Dr.
Templeton, CA 93465

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
Transition Towns PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.