[Ccpg] BOOK/ DEEPLY ROOTED: UNCONVENTIONAL FARMERS IN THE AGE OF AGRIBUSINESS

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Mon May 25 08:24:14 PDT 2009

thanks Wes for posting this!!

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe at silcom.com
> >
> Date: May 25, 2009 7:16:18 AM PDT
> To: sb-action at hopedance.net
> Subject: [sb-forum] [sb-news] [sb-action] BOOK/ DEEPLY ROOTED:
> UNCONVENTIONAL FARMERS IN THE AGE OF AGRIBUSINESS
>
> http://www.lisamhamilton.com/book/DeeplyRooted.html
>
> The food revolution taking place in this country cannot be truly
> successful without an agricultural revolution. We must inspire our
> farmers and create millions more of them. The extraordinary farmers
> Lisa Hamilton profiles in Deeply Rooted embody the future of
> American agriculture.
> - Alice Waters
>
> In a time when agribusiness and the global economy are making the
> rules, and when most people of the land are striving to be obedient,
> these people have had the courage to use their own intelligence in
> their own places. They have been appropriately rewarded for their
> independence, and readers of this book will be rewarded also. As for
> me, when I read of the Podoll family's thinking about local
> adaptation and their effort 'to get the maximum from the minimum,' I
> wanted to stand up and shout.
> - from a letter to the author by Wendell Berry
>
> A century of industrialization has left our food system riddled with
> problems, yet for solutions we look to nutritionists and government
> agencies, scientists and chefs. Lisa M. Hamilton asks: why not look
> to the people who grow our food?
> In this narrative nonfiction book she tells three stories, of an
> African-American dairyman in Texas who plays David to the Goliath of
> agribusiness corporations; a tenth-generation rancher in New Mexico
> struggling to restore agriculture as a pillar of his community; and
> a modern pioneer family in North Dakota breeding new varieties of
> plants to face the future's double threat: climate change and the
> patenting of life forms. In unique ways, these "unconventional
> farmers" reject the passive role that modern agriculture has
> insisted they accept and instead reclaim their place as stewards of
> the land and leaders within society.
> Threads of history and discussion weave through the tales, exploring
> how farmers have been pushed to the margins of agriculture and how
> that has led to the broken food system we grapple with today. These
> unusual characters and their extraordinary stories make the case
> that in order to repair the damage, we must bring farmers back to
> the table.
>
> INTRODUCTION TO
> DEEPLY ROOTED:
> UNCONVENTIONAL FARMERS IN THE AGE OF AGRIBUSINESS
> (COUNTERPOINT, MAY 2009)
>
> Balfour, North Dakota
> Highway 84 cuts a diagonal line across central North Dakota, a
> landscape of wheat. It's a lonely road, two lanes stringing together
> a handful of farm towns small enough to come and go in the space of
> a sentence. Velva. Voltaire. Bergen. Now Balfour. As I drive I'm
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope  •  2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton,
CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.369-0203
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.