[Lapg] L.A. Eco-Village needs your help this Wed 1/9 at 6 pm!!!

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Mon Jan 7 11:21:31 PST 2008

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Several owners and tenants in the Eco-Village neighborhood were recently
notified that their homes were being considered for an elementary school
for up to 1,000 children.

LAUSD has scheduled a community meeting for Wednesday, January 9th at 6
pm at Frank del Olmo Elementary School at First and Vermont (enter on
New Hampshire, one block west of Vermont) to alert the community of
their current plans and receive community input.

Won't you please join with us at that meeting to express your solidarity
with us and our neighbors to urge the LAUSD to find an alternative site,
if a new school is necessary?

Please be there if at all possible.

As many of you know, the Frank del Olmo school at First and Vermont,
just a short block away, was recently opened to accommodate over 800
elementary school children.

The LA Eco-Village is within walking distance of 10,000 public school
children, schools already built, in construction or on the drawing boards.

LAUSD plans to spend $91 million on this new school.  If needed, there
are better suited alternative sites close-by.

Please go to the following websites to learn more about this situation
and how you can help:
www.laecovillage.org
http://urbansoil.net/wiki.cgi/White_House_Place_Primary_Center_Developments

Please call me or Michelle Wong at 310/801-1303 if you need clarifying
information.  Also, please be sure to get a sticker when you come into
the auditorium on Wed. evening.  We are trying to get at least 100
people to this meeting.  Bring friends and neighbors whom you believe
would support this cause.

If you are unable to attend, perhaps you will consider writing a letter
to our school board member, Monica Garcia (Fax: 213-241-8459 or email:
monica.garcia at lausd.net), with a copy to our councilman, Eric Garcetti
(Fax:(213) 613-0819 or email: councilmember.garcetti at lacity.org).

Thanks for your support.

Happy New Year.

Peace,

Lois Arkin
CRSP Institute for Urban Ecovillages at L.A. Eco-Village
117 Bimini Pl #221
Los Angeles CA 90004
213/738-1254
www.laecovillage.