[Lapg] L.A. Eco-Village Events: Comm Land Trusts 1/14 & LAUSD threat to Eco-Village Neighborhood, more

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Jan 13 20:08:43 PST 2008

Please visit www.laecovillage.org for details on these activities
===============================
COMMUNITY LAND TRUSTS AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING, A TALK WITH TOM ANGOTTI

Monday, January 14, 2008 from 6 pm to 7:30 pm
at Los Angeles Eco-Village
117 Bimini Pl
Los Angeles 90004

No charge (but donations requested)
No reservations required.

Sponsored by Livable Places, the Beverly-Vermont Community Land Trust
and the Figueroa Corridor Community Land Trust

More info at www.livableplaces.org  or 213/622-5980
===============================
LAUSD COMMUNITY MEETING:  THE CONTINUING THREAT OF CONDEMNATION OF L.A.
ECO-VILLAGE AND ADJACENT NEIGHBORHOOD AFFORDABLE HOUSING

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

at Frank del Olmo Elementary School at First and Vermont, LA 90004
Enter at 100 N. New Hampshire, one block west of Vermont

On Jan 9th, over 200 people showed up at the Frank del Olmo Elementary
school one block from L.A. Eco-Village to show their support for the
Eco-Village neighborhood and its adjacent No. Madison Ave. neighborhood
and to advise the Los Angeles Unified School District to look elsewhere
for a school site.  Several Eco-Villagers met that morning with staff to
our school board member, Monica Garcia, to try to assist that office in
identifying alternative school sites in the area.

We need your support to oppose the taking of our neighborhood affordable
housing for yet another new school.  Please join us for a second
community meeting with LAUSD on Wed., Jan 30th at the Frank del Olmo
school (at First St. and Vermont Ave., enter auditorium on New Hampshire
one block west of Vermont) to send the message loud and clear:  LAUSD
must stop destroying neighborhoods and affordable housing for new schools.

Check www.YouTube.com soon to look for snippets from the LAUSD Jan. 9th
community meeting. Please write our school board member, Monica
Garcia (monica.garcia at lausd.net or fax: 213/241-8459), and our
councilman Eric Garcetti (c/o <lamerian at council.lacity.org> or fax:
213/613-0819.

Read more about our current struggle at www.laecovillage.org/Newbites.html
and
http://inspirationteas.com/uploads/Why_we_live_at_White_House_Place3.pdf
and
www.urbansoil.net/wiki.cgi/White_House_Place_Primary_Center_Developments

For more info on this situation, contact Michelle Wong at 310/801-1303 or
Lara Morrison at 213/383-8684 or Lois Arkin at 213/738-1254 or write us at
crsp at igc.org

===============================

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK BOARD MEMBERS IN DIALOG ON THE CURRENT STATUS OF
THE ECOVILLAGE MOVEMENT AND FUTURE DIRECTIONS

Coming in early February 2008 at L.A. Eco-Village
Here's a few preliminary details at
www.laecovillage.org/UseUpcoming%20events.html

===============================
STAY TUNED.

We'll plan more events after we know what happens at the Jan. 30th LAUSD
community meeting noted above.  Come out and support the Eco-Village
neighborhood if you can or we simply might not be here in the future!
===============================

TOURS OF L.A. ECO-VILLAGE:

Sundays from 10:30 am - 1 pm on Jan 20, Jan 27 and Feb. 24
Saturday from 10:30 am - 1 pm on Feb 2
Reservations required

See details at www.laecovillage.org/Toursoflaev.html

----------------
PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
If you are interested in taking a 72 hr. Permaculture Design Course at
L.A. Eco-Village in Spring 2008 with lectures, presentations, field
trips, interactive design teams, hands-on learning over a six weekends,
please let us know who you are.  213/738-1254 or crsp at igc.org
----------------
Please see our website for details on any of these events:
www.laecovillage.org
----------------
SOME EXCITING NEW RESOURCES.
Visit www.laecovillage.org/Resources.html for details on these and other
resources:
----------------
Go to www.YouTube.com and google <ecovillage> on that site to visit some of
the great ecovillages around the world and hear from their founders, movers
and shakers
----------------
Cohousing Weekly Conference Calls every Monday at 8 pm PST
----------------
The Fellowship for Intentional Community has created a wiki, growing a
collection of shared knowledge, information and resources for intentional
communities.  http://wiki.ic.org/
-----------------
Resources for Post Carbon Cities, preparing local governments for energy and
climate uncertainty at http://postcarboncities.net/
-----------------

To be removed from this notice list, return this email and put "delete"
in the subject line.

--
1/13/2008 8:23 PM

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous