[Lapg] March LAPG Newsletter

Taylor Arneson taylorist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:57:58 PST 2008

March 2008
Los Angeles Permaculture Guild Newsletter

now on the web 24/7 wow !

taylorist.googlepages.com/permaculturelosangeles

Good Morrow,

Feel free to repost this newsletter wherever appropriate and submit related
needs, surplus, events and articles. Community is always encouraged and
appreciated . . .

Thanks,

Taylor Arneson
taylorist at gmail.com
taylorist.googlepages.com

ARTICLES OF INTEREST

-- Permaculture Peoples Party
http://www.tagari.com/?p=206

-- EcoUrbanism
http://www.bluegreenearth.us/archive/organics/2005/santoyo-1-2005.html

--  Permaculture plants the seeds of growth, change
By Tad Sooter
Author Toby Hemenway talks sustainability and better living.
http://www.bainbridgereview.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=96&cat=23&id=1155217&more=0

-- Retrofitting the suburbs for sustainability
by David Holmgren
http://sbpermaculture.org/Suburbs_Holmgren.html

-- Starting a Successful Urban Ecovillage
By Diana Leafe Christian
 http://sbpermaculture.org/DChristianArticle.html

NEEDS AND REQUESTS

The Watt's Family Garden Club
(http://www.wattsgardenclub.org/)
and
"The Seed Lady" aka Anna Marie Carter
http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=576
are looking for................
Primarily we are looking for CASH and volunteers.
We need self motivated, self initiating, responsible people to help with
various aspects of several different projects. People who have experience or
skills as grant writers, researchers, marketers and community organizers
would be most desirable. Please contact: Camille Cimino
camcim at yahoo.com
(213) 924-5238

-- Green Thumb seeks new home.  I'm looking for a home to relocate my
lifestyle to.  I love being outdoors, need indoor and outdoor space for 3
small rabbits, a big garden (current or to be created), have a hot tub I can
contribute, need a bedroom as well as a smaller office space/rabbit zone.
Can pay up to $1000 but closer to $750 is much more workable.  I like to
contribute to the beauty of a home and make a food forest, build soil.  If
you would like to look for a place with me or have a place please call me!
Joan 323-630-4673

-- Swan Song for the Lawn -Volunteers Needed -Ongoing starting in February
'08
Help convert resource consuming lawns in and around Los Angeles into
productive Fruit, Fuel, Food, Fiber and Medicine Producing Home Ecosystems!
No experience necessary.
Contact us at info at earthflow.com

-- Accommodations Needed -Los Angeles -Ongoing
Larry Santoyo, Permaculture Designer, Teacher seeks private
studio/guesthouse accommodations for frequent visits in and around downtown
Los Angeles, Silverlake and Santa Monica Areas -Will trade for permaculture
consulting, design and/or workshops.

-- I am always looking for people, M-F, who would like to volunteer working
on permaculture projects at a home in Malibu.  Projects involve pruning,
planting, mulching, propagation, water harvesting techniques, compost
making, caring for chickens, light straw claw and earthen plaster, herb
spirals, and more.  Anyone interested can contact me at
swjennings at gmail.comAlso, looking to build up the LAPCGuild wiki with
profiles of people doing
permaculture related activities in this city, so please submit anything you
got, pictures, stories,  to swjennings at gmail.com

-- Eco Home needs help with promoting their tours - The number of visitors
has decreased recently and they are exploring new opportunities to spread
the word. Contact Dianne Carter at dcarterpr at earthlink.net. More about Eco
Home /www.ecohome.org/pages/index.html

-- I am looking for a few books that are expensive and not locally available
. . .
1.  Food from Dryland Gardens: An Ecological, Nutritional and Social
Approach to Small-Scale Household Food Production by David Arthur Cleveland
2. Permaculture Guide to Fermentation and Human Nutrition by Bill Mollison
If you have any of these titles, let me know if willing to loan them out or
temporarily exchange
contact . . . . . . . taylorist at gmail.com

-- Emanate needs monetary and material donations for their installations.
All donations are tax-deductible. Contact jenna at emanate.org or 323.913.0915.
www.emanate.org

SURPLUS

-- 2 Rooms for rent in emerging eco-home in Altadena hills:
1. Newly remodeled back Studio with brand-new composting toilet, cork & tile
floors and mini-kitchenette; main house and pool access, $800/mo. including
utilities (DirecTV, DSL, washer/dryer); available March 1.
2. Master bedroom, wood floor, and private bathroom, tile, w/ back entrance
in main house, share house and pool, $650/mo. including utilities (DirecTV,
DSL, washer/dryer); available April 1, possibly sooner. Home's current
occupants are cool mom w/ full-time enviro career & 11-year-old son. Common
interests with compatible tenants could include: artistic . musical .
environmentally conscious . 420 . cooperative . community-minded . health
food . travel . biking . hiking . Burning Man . IFC . KCRW . green building
(let's cob). We are planting a food forest in the front yard this summer!
Could work for a couple or parent/child to rent both units, or one person
using one space as a work studio. Contact me(Marialyce) at
marialycep at earthlink.net or call 626/797-9110, evenings, to discuss/arrange
a visit.

-- Be part of every permaculture function there is in our newly acquired
land in Venice, CA. We have a 55'x300' space a few minutes from the ocean in
a very good growing zone with space available to rent or build your own
natural space. We are needing strictly permaculture people to build a living
modelthat will provide answers for our cities many problems. We need your
skills and enthusiasm to be part of something very special.
 contact: Bobby 310-466-9600
 Must see!!

-- '91 Mazda pick up B2600i (fuel injected) with 260,000 miles on it.  New
tires, new battery, and just passed smog.  Selling for $1200.  It just went
up to the Bay area and back and rode great.  I have pictures on flickr
(under mamabotanica) if you want to see pics.
Thanks,
Joan 323-630-4673

-- We have Potted (1 to 5 gal) Garden Plants -Will trade for Avocados,
Bamboo and/or ???
-Achira, edible canna
-Opuntia, spineless fruiting cactus
-Yacon, sweet, crunchy tubers
Contact: Larry & Kathryn Santoyo <info at earthflow.com> 805.459.0452

-- room for rent  $500, furnished, includes utilities and internet.  Mother
and college age daughter seeking green female to share home with.
Sustainable and simple lifestyle.  Responsible and tidy.   Share kitchen,
living, dining, laundry.  Have two small doting mature dogs and one cat.
Creating urban food woodland garden in backyard that could really use some
help with.  Rental application, references and deposit required.   Good area
in Monterey Park, just east of downtown Los Angeles.  Pomona, Long Beach,
Golden State, Hollywood and San Bernardino freeways and public
transportation close.   CSULA and ELAC close.  email
njvshalom at sbcglobal.netif interested.

-- Free horse manure mixed with straw and woodchips available in Altadena
for free. From Pasadena take Fair Oaks North make a Left onto Mountain View
at the cemetery. Second house on the Right.  You, load, you haul. Pitchfork
provided, bring large, thick, trash or mulch bag.

-- Available for pre-purchase!  Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture
by Joss Jaffe, is an important research and development tool supporting
permaculture design and the long term vision of Quail Springs. Pre-purchase
the book by contacting info at quailsprings.org.  $30 includes CD, or $10 for
CD only, plus $5 shipping.

-- Hopedance offer: For $250 Hopedance Magazine will give you a full page to
do what you want (listings, calendars, ads, articles, art, etc.) plus you
get 1,000 copies of hopedance to do what you want. The page would be inside
the regular issue of HopeDance. The next issue is on Relocalization.  Bob
Banner 805 544 9663 www.hopedance.org

-- Path to Freedom's Peddlers Wagon
http://pathtofreedom.com/peddlerswagon/- Practical goods for your home
and garden, including ollas, solar ovens,
bike trailers and more. From the wonderful Dervaes family homestead.

-- Ergonomic Weed Twister by Ergonica - If you wish to remove a misplaced
plant or weed and minimally till the soil, try the Ergonica Weed Twister.
This surgically precise tool is made in So. Cal. by people who may be your
neighbors.  The Weed Twister comes in three sizes to accommodate different
situations and people. Ray Cruz
www.weedtwister.com

-- Compost - Tim Dundon 626-794-1351 theroyalsoil at 2doo.com www.2doo.com Tim
is the King of Compost. He will deliver a huge dumptruck of horse manure and
sawdust for 80.00 to your hungry soil. He might offer you some sage
philosophy for free while he's at it.

-- Earthflow Design Works offers the following products, services and
skills: Permaculture Land Planning and Design -Training and Services;
Jewelry Designs; Clothing Designs. Graphic Design & Photography. See
www.earthflow.com for more info

-- Cob-a-nation with Ray Cirino! Ray is THE guy for cob in Los Angeles. His
beautiful ovens, benches and other structures can be seen at LA Eco-Village,
Path to Freedom and many private residences around the city. Check out his
new cob playhouses! He also builds rocket stoves and welds amazing
trellises. Hire him to lead a workshop or build something for you. email
cobanation at yahoo.com

ACTIVISM / ACTIONISM

-- Help Save the L.A. Eco-Village from the L.A. Unified School District
Bulldozers ~ Write a letter to school board member Monica Garcia and fax to
all the
school board members (they will have the final say).  Come to an LAUSD
community meeting on Wed., Jan 30 at 6 pm at 100 N. New Hampshire, LA
90004 (one block west of Vermont Ave at First St. and speak up about why
you think it is important to save the Eco-Village neighborhood.  See the
following websites for details:
http://laecovillage.org/LAUSD2008.html - and -
http://urbansoil.net/wiki.cgi/White_House_Place_Primary_Center_Developments

-- California Cannabis Hemp & Health Initiative 2008 needs help in signature
gathering: <www.jackherer.com> & <www.calhemp08.org>.

-- Petition Agri Fuel Incentives for Monsanto and other GMO corporations
http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/oca/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=895

WORKPARTIES, POTLUCKS, CLASSES AND EVENTS

-- Saturday, March 1, 2008 @ Art Share LA
801 East 4th Place, Los Angeles, CA 90013
This summit isn't your average summit.
It's activities-based and focused on making sure we learn from one another
first.
Part DIT (Do It Together) skill-share, part meet-up, and part party, this is
a FREE event about creating grassroots change in our LOCAL neighborhoods.
Come together and talk about issues that truly affect you and your
community; then find creative ways to be a part of the solution. What should
we change in our communities?
http://www.youthnoise.com/summit/losangeles.html

--   Saturday, March 1, 2008  7:00 PM Armory Center For The Arts 145 North
Raymond Avenue, Pasadena, California
Join L.A. Post Carbon and C.I.C.L.E. for a social and informative evening of
film and discussion. Bring some food and drink to share. We'll be screening
the feature-length documentary, What a Way to Go: Life at the End of Empire.
Special Guest: Timothy Sellars, from the band Artichoke, will play songs
about honeybees and scientists.
For more information, contact visit http://lapostcarbon.org/wawtg.htm or
call
323-478-0060

-- Saturday, March 1, 2008:   Community Fruit Tree Planting (10 AM-2 PM)
where  the ECHS (environmental charter high school) community will join us
and we will continue to plant with Common Vision, a tour bringing fruit
trees, music and education to schools and communities in California. see
commonvision.org calendar for more info

-- Friday, March 7th, 2008 at 8:00pm California State University, Long
Beach, University Theater
"Our Land, Our Life: The Struggle for Western Shoshone Land Rights"**
(Parking Lot 7 - South end of campus off 7th St.)
This is a free film screening of 2007 multi, award-winning documentary, "Our
Land, Our Life," directed by George and Beth Gage, details Western Shoshone
Elders Carrie and Mary Dann's 30-year struggle to protect their traditional
ways of life and ancestral homelands from mining degradation in a battle
that went to the United States Supreme Court and beyond to the United
Nations. Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2N9-n-ka0

-- Mar 2, 9, 16, 30; Apr 6, 13, Pasadena
Edible Landscaping and Perennial Food Gardening
See website for full announcement. Enrollment, payment, and refund
policy appears below course announcement.
Call or email Darren Butler to sign up:
allnet at ...
818.271.0963
www.ecoworkshops. com

-- Sat and Sun March 8 – 9, 2008
Raised beds of Rammed Earth:
About cob It is a technique for building structures using clay, straw and
sand. It won't rot, can't burn down and bugs won't eat it. Earth is one of
the oldest building materials on the planet and still the most common.
Currently, cob is enjoying a revival of interest where many have led the way
in researching and teaching this healthy, easy to learn, environmentally
sustainable technology.
Sculpt your own raised veggie beds using your hands and inexpensive
non-toxic natural materials. No power tools or previous building experience
required. You will find a cool late winter workshop the perfect time to
engage sculpting with Cob. We intend to make tremendous organized progress
in this practical and condensed 2 day workshop. Cob workshops are for
gaining experience, and we have lots to share. Newbie's are encouraged to
ask questions during work party's progress...for more info contact us at
L.A at earthlink.net to hold your place and to receive announcements
surrounding this event..

-- Tue, Mar 11, 6 - 9pm
The Ambrose Hotel, 1255 20th Street, Santa Monica, CA
Green Business Networking brings people working in or interested in socially
and environmentally conscious business together for networking, deal-making,
and socializing. A $10 cover charge includes organic snacks and drinks.

-- Saturday and Sunday Mar 21 – 23 2008
The Grand Theatre, Los Angeles Trade Tech College, 400 W. Washington Blvd.,
Los Angeles
The Raw Lifestyle Film Festival features films that center around the
benefits of a raw vegan diet. In addition there is an auxiliary category for
films which focus on organic, biodynamic and other sustainable farming
methods and their impact on the environment. On Friday, March. 21, 6 pm - 10
pm, an Opening Reception and Ceremony catered by 7 of Southern California's
most prestigious live foods chefs will be held. Film screening will be held
on Sat. March. 22 - Sun. March. 23. At the end of the screenings on Sunday,
a Gala Awards Dinner and Ceremony will be held from 7 pm - 10 pm at the
Woman's Club of Hollywood, 1749 N. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles Visit the
website for more details. Http://www.serenityspaces.org/filmfest08.asp

-- Saturday, March 22, 2008, 7 pm, Echo Park Film Center 1200 N. Alvarado
Street (@ Sunset Blvd)
http://www.blackgoldmovie.com - A documentary film exploring the paradox of
the rising profits to multinational corporations involved in the
international trade in coffee and the increasingly impoverished communities
that produce this commodity, as well as examining our role as consumers.
Discussion to follow on globalization, neoliberal policies and active
alternatives to the current situation.
organized by - http://www.cafeparalavidadigna.com
$5 dollars donation
email: echoparkfilmcenter at hotmail.com
website: http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org

PERMACULTURE COURSES:

-- April 20 - May 3, 2008
In cooperation with Four Elements Organic Farm, HopeDance Media & The Terra
Foundation: Four Elements Permaculture Design Course San Luis Obispo
County,   Permaculture Design Certificate Course Two-Week Intensive
Amazing Location... The site for this course is  Four Elements Organic Farm,
a certified Organic Farm and an innovative Natural Building Learning Center
nestled in the steep chaparral hills of California's Central Coast.
 http://earthflow.com/slo2008.php

-- Oct 2007 - March 2008
the 5th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course with Larry Santoyo.
One weekend a month for 6 months...
Learn from the most experienced team of Permaculture Design Educators and
Recognized Leaders in the World-Wide Sustainability Movement. EarthFlow
Design Works' Instructors include: Larry Santoyo, Jude Hobbs, Scott Pittman,
Toby Hemenway, John Valenzuela, Scott Horton and Joan Stevens.  Will also
include additional field trips, hands on opportunities, local experts,
teacher trainees and other guest presentations.
Join us on the first weekends of October '07 through March '08 Venues take
us in and around Los Angeles, CA. $175 per any weekend - pre-registration is
required.
To register by phone and pay by credit card (Visa, MC, Amex), call
805.459.0452, 9am to 5pm PST. Email confirmation will be sent upon receipt.
Discounts, Trades & Payment Plans
As we truly want to make this training available to everyone, any and all
proposals will be considered!

-Santa Cruz, CA - Third Weekends of each Month, Feb-July
-San Luis Obispo, CA - Two-Week Intensive April 20- May 3, 2008
-New York City Open Center  -3Day CityPermaculture Strategies Workshop -
April
-Woodbourne, Catskills, New York - Two-Week Intensive August 16-29, 2008
-Los Angeles, CA - First Weekends of each Month, Oct '08 - March '09
-Aveyron Region, France  - Permaculture Highlights & Historical Preservation
Tour
 More Hands-On WorkParties - Natural building and "the home ecosystem"
design on California's Central Coast and the Southland.

• Trades, Work-Trades and Payment Plans now available
• Teachers are also eligible for special Scholarship Discounts

http://earthflow.com/

--  February through July 2008
The Santa Barbara Permaculture Design Course Experience
Creating The Conditions for Sustainability to Happen...
February through July 2008.
One weekend a month for 6 months...
Join us on the second weekends of February through July 2008.
Locations will take us in and around Santa Barbara Co.

UPCOMING IN THE SPRING

-- Thursday and Friday, March 6 - 7,
 ~ Spinning and Felting at Quail Spring with Andrea Bratt Frick,
professional fiber artist

-- It's time to register for a brand new series of organic gardening classes
starting in March.  I'm really excited about them.
Get the details by going straight to the registration page here:
www.silverlakefarms.com/workshops.htm

-- April 18, 2008:  Earth Day at Environmental Charter High School (register
your elementary class here) where our students will teach our community's
younger students about sustainable practices.

-- April 26, 2008:  Green Gala Event is an event to raise funds for  ECHS, a
magical evening of organic food, music, and fragrances. Join us as we dance
to world rhythms and support the greening of our campus. All funds raised
from the evening will support our many projects! If you want would like to
purchase tickets click above.

-- End of May: Green Ambassador Youth Summit at Environmental Charter High
School

-- Saturday and Sunday, May 24-25 ~ Building a Cob Oven and Baking Bread
with Quail Springs' teaching team $100 for each 2 day Skill Builder
workshop, includes camping.
Register for the entire "Hands and Hearts" series for 2008 for $275 !
Optional materials fee may apply for each workshop. Meals will be organized
potluck.
Contact info at quailsprings.org for more information or to register.

 -- April 26-27, Saturday and Sunday - FREE - Spring Gardening Service
Learning Weekend
Join Quail Springs as we plant and prepare our gardens this spring! This is
also a time for interested people to receive a tour of the site and learn
about site design, and enjoy the company of community. This event is free of
cost, with community potluck meals and camping nearby. All ages are welcome
and no experience is needed. RSVP to info at quailsprings.org to receive
current gate combos, potluck ideas, and tools/materials to bring.

ONGOING CLASSES AND EVENTS

-- Indigenous Skill Share
After the popularity of the december 30th skill share, it will now be taking
place every Saturday at the Venice Learning Garden on the corner of Venice
Blvd and Walgrove at noon to sunset.

-- Monthy meeting for LAMS Los Angeles Mytological Society are held at the
Los Angeles County Natural History Museum, come at 7:00pm to have mushroom
photos and samples identified, and 8:00pm for a lecture. Check the website
for upcoming dates. . . . lamushrooms.com

-- Saturdays at 10 am multiple locatoins check website :
 http://www.christophernyerges.com/schedule.htm
Christopher Nyerges leads walks in the San Gabriel mountains teaching skills
ranging from weapon making to wild salad harvesting

-- 4th Tuesday of the month, Beekeepers Association of Southern California
7:30 PM at the Kling Center, 12900 Blue Field Avenue, La Mirada, CA  90638
Come to meet people who actually keep bees in the Southern California area
and talk about colony collapse disorder     Contact: Mark Hoppe (562)
841-9754 mhpower at quixnet.net

-- Sundays and Thursdays 2-7pm (come anytime you can)
Food Not Bombs is organized according to anarchist principles of
non-hierarchy and decentralization. We take food that would otherwise be
thrown away and make healthy, vegan meals for the hungry. We cook in the
Sunset Junction area of Silver Lake as well as Highland Park and serve our
delicious vegetarian food every Thursday and Sunday in Downtown Los Angeles.
Join us!
< http://lafoodnotbombs.org/ >

-- Food forest work days and plant sale in Sunland:  Come see our food
forest, get your hands dirty in our beautiful, rich soils and hug our fruit
trees!   We have lots of fun, exotic fruit trees and other plants and an
heirloom veggie patch.  Get a taste of our delicious tomatoes (they are
still bearing!), salad mix, figs, etc, hang out with great people, and hear
the stories behind the forest.   Every Sunday from 1-4.   7919 Glenties
Lane, Sunland.   We are looking for someone who would like to run the work
days for a couple of months while I am out of town - please let me know if
you are interested!   This is a great community spot in Sunland.

-- Tours of the Eco-Home™ environmental demonstration home in the Los Feliz
area of Los Angeles are scheduled
Contact: (323) 662-5207
ecohome at pacbell.net
Reservations in advance required.

-- Fridays Critical Mass is a spontanious public gathering of bicyclists who
use the power of numbers to advocate safe and sensible bicycle use of the
roads we share. Check you locality for upcoming rides and locations
http://midnightridazz.com/ or http://www.cicle.org or http://bikeboom.com

LAPG WIKI SPACE   :   http://lapcguild.wikispaces.com

BLOGS

-- http://permaculturecafe.blogspot.com/

-- http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/

--

WISER EARTH Profile :
http://www.wiserearth.org/organization/view/625ef7965dec0b50f16a19ec91d1f79a#

SO. CAL PERM ORGS
Los Angeles:
- Earthflow http://www.earthflow.com/  -  Larry Santoyo
santoyo at earthflow.com 805-459-0452
- LA Permaculture Guild: Camille Cimino camcim at yahoo.com Joan Stevens
323-630-4673 mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net .

Points north:
- Ojai Permaculture Guild: Dave White david at ojaicra.org 805-646-9809
- Santa Barbara Permaculture Network: Margie Bushman
sbpcnet at silcom.com805-962-2571
www.sbpermaculture.org
- Sierra PC Guild, Paul Racko paul at sierrapermaculture.org
http://sierrapermaculture.org

Points south:
- PC Institute of Southern California (Laguna Beach): Bill Roley
DrRoley at cox.net 949-494-5843
- San Diego Permaculture Center: San Diego Economic Conversion Council
sdecc at igc.org (619)
255-6111 (new one)

STAY IN TOUCH:
- Los Angeles PC Guild e-list --
https://www.arashi.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/lapg
- South CA PC Guild e-list --
https://www.arashi.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/scpg
- LACity Repair e-list -- http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/cityrepairla
- LA PC Guild on Tribe -- http://lapcguild.tribe.net
- LA Mytological Society -- http://www.lamushrooms.org

LINKS

Permaculture Activist Magazine : www.permacultureactivist.net
Permaculture Credit Union : www.pcuonline.org
Hopedance Magazine : www.hopedance.org
Urban Permaculture Guild : http://www.urbanpermacultureguild.org/
LA Permaculture Guild website : http://www.lapcguild.wikispaces.com/
LA EcoVillage: http://urbansoil.net/wiki.cgi
EcoVillage / Permaculture places :
http://www.ecologycenter.org/directory/results.php?sFAQ=permaculture
Sustainble World Radio Podcasts : http://www.sustainableworldradio.com/

 FARMERS MARKETS OF SOUTHERN CA

http://www.farmernet.com/events/cfms

BOOK LISTS OF INTEREST

http://www.users.bigpond.com/brookman/books.html

http://www.pdxpermaculture.org/books.htm

http://www.patternliteracy.com/reading.html

FREE E BOOKS

http://www.holmgren.com.au/

http://www.rainbowbody.net/Finalempire/index.html

http://farmerbarter.googlepages.com/foodbook

To subscribe or unsubscribe to the LAPG newsletter, or to send a notice for
next month, drop an email to taylorist at gmail.com