[Lapg] Details about the March 22-23 primitive skills gathering near Fallbrook

Colin Leath cleath at j9k.org
Sun Mar 2 23:42:53 PST 2008

 Details about the March 22-23 primitive skills gathering near
Fallbrook<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html>

Contents

   - When<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#when>
   - Where<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#where>
   - How to get
there<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#how>
   - What we'll
do<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#what>
   - What to bring<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#bring>
   - Who's coming?<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#who>
   - More questions?<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#qs>
   - RSVP<http://sdprim.blogspot.com/2008/03/details-about-march-22-23-primitive.html#rsvp>

When

   - From noon on Saturday 3/22 until sometime on Sunday.
   - It is ok to come for only a few hours.
   - It is probably ok to come early (Friday) and stay late (Monday),
   especially if you're walking or taking transit.

Where

   - Near Rainbow, CA, about 8 miles NE of Fallbrook.
   - We'll be camping on a 9-acre site in hills with avacado trees, oak
   trees, boulders, and streams. It is not super-secluded--you can still see
   and hear I-15 in some places, as well as neighbors and a rooster. There's an
   outdoor community kitchen area (with city water) and fire pit and an outdoor
   shower.
   - We'll need to be able to carry any stuff you want to use in camp up
   a steep hill for maybe 100 yards.

How to get there

   - RSVP for directions to colinleath at gmail dot com.
   - By foot: About a 3.5 hour walk (8 mi.) from Fallbrook, along roads
   with generally good shoulders.
   - By transit: From the Oceanside Transit Center, if you have photo ID
   for getting through Camp Pendleton, you can get to Fallbrook via the 397
   North County Breeze bus <http://www.gonctd.com/breeze_schedules.htm>.
   You can get to Oceanside by Coaster
train<http://www.gonctd.com/coaster_intro.htm>from the south or
Metrolink
   train <http://www.metrolinktrains.com/> from the north. In SD county,
   you can get a regional daypass for $5, which lets you get a $2
   discount on the Coaster train fare (choose "transfer from transit").
   - By bicycle: If it helps, you can take a bike on the bus (there are
   two spaces on the rack),
Coaster<http://www.gonctd.com/coaster_howtoride.htm>,
   and Metrolink <http://www.metrolinktrains.com/news/?id=117>.
   - By car: let's arrange carpooling--say where you'd want to ride from.

What we'll do

   - Shelter: At the least we'll be building a shelter from willow and
   vines or other natural cordage. The vine we were testing is Araujia
   sericifera <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araujia_sericifera> (moth
   vine <http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/araujiasericifera.htm>,
   bladderflower <http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/weedinfo/araujia.htm>).
   The willow frame of one shelter is partly up. We'll need to thatch it--we
   can find or bring palm fronds, or bundle some grass, cattails, or reeds. We
   may make the bottom part of the walls more solid with cob.
   - Ceramics: We may also be able to make pit-fired pottery--but we
   didn't actually test this, so I don't know how good the clay is there.
   - Useful plant identification: We'll also collect wild edible
   plants--mallow, pigweed, filaree<http://www.google.com/search?q=filaree>,
   nopales, prickly pears, domestic geranium
(Pelargonium)<http://www.wickedlocal.com/ghs-newsservice/lifestyle/home_and_garden/tips/x477568761>,
   nasturtium, yellow dock, fennel, watercress, dandelion, wild lettuce,
   mustard, etc.
   - Mycology: fluted black elfin saddle (Helvella lacunosa) was sighted,
   among others yet to be ID'd.
   - Twining: we may twine daylily fiber to make cordage & coil baskets.
   - Weaving panels using split Arundo
donax<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundo_donax>(river cane).
   - Study--there are some books on indigenous shelter, bamboo, etc., as
   well as Permaculture, A Designers' Manual.
   - Stare at the fire.
   - Tell stories.
   - Plot, by the bye/ informally/ as it happens, so we can live lives
   that care for the earth and for each other.
   - Document? Maybe someone will take some photos!
   - Other good practices you want to share.

What to bring

   - Food--what you would like, & to share. We may have some local
   avocados, macadamia nuts, and citrus too.
   - Seeds, plants, yeasts, and other biomatter/seed-like things to
   exchange or give away.
   - Shelter for yourself sleeping outside appropriate to the
weather<http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Rainbow.html>
   .
   - Useful tools.

Who's coming?

   - Moms and kids!
   - People like us with our enthusiasms, bits of experience, and what
   we're curious about.
   - Maybe two alumni of
Twisp<http://www.hollowtop.com/lynx_shepherd.htm>(not sure if that's
the right link) and Teaching
   Drum <http://www.teachingdrum.org/>.

More questions?

   - Call Christine at 760 445 8523 or Colin at 619 582 7583.
   - Or comment here or send an email.

RSVP to colinleath at gmail dot com.

Add this event to your
calendar<http://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=Zm84ODZ1Z2I1c2FqbXNscnZlZTExbDdzbTAgc2R0amRwaEBt&ctz=America/Los_Angeles>