[Lapg] Highland Park Community Garden

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Nov 5 09:34:43 PST 2008

Forwarded to Los Angeles PC listerve

Hi all,

There are a few of us in Highland Park (South of Pasadena) who are in
the process of turning a vacant lot into a garden. The history of the
lot is that it once was covered by a house that burned down in a fire
started by some riff-raff. So you can imagine the soil is very
compacted, hardpan and the top soil is sandy. The weeds that have
made it home include an abundance of lambs quarter gone to seed,
dried up plantains, and some low grass I can't identify. For the most
part the land is barren and dry. So I weeded what I could, and
started a heap of compost. What I would like to do is eventually
plant into the finished compost as the base of my topsoil.

   So I'm calling out to anyone who knows about detox/pioneer plants,
ground covers, trees or other plants that break up hardpan,
ESPECIALLY  if any of these plants are native to the Los Angeles
area. Any other information about where I can acquire these plants
and seeds locally, discounted, or for trade would also be appreciated.

-Jaci June
"Jaci June" <professionalgoatslapper at gmail.com>

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org