[Lapg] Traditional Plant Uses Workshop 3/14

Sean Jennings swjennings at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:30:33 PST 2009

Traditional Plant Uses <http://westsidepermaculturefarm.com/plantuses.html>

[image: bodyimage]*Offered:* March 14th, 2009
*Location:* Malibu Creek SP, Malibu, CA
*Instructors:* Jim
Lowery,<http://westsidepermaculturefarm.com/lowerybio.html>Mary E.
Brooks
<http://westsidepermaculturefarm.com/brooksbio.html>

In our study of wilderness skills, we have learned a lot from the “plant
people” as well as the native peoples who used them for shelter, food,
clothing, tools and medicine. When you make baskets, bows, arrows, rope,
smudges and firemaking apparatus among many other things from plants, you
begin to know not only their names, but their personality and how and where
they grow.

In this one-day class, you will get to know intimately the local plants with
multiple uses as you work on projects including making cordage and
processing and preparing edible plants. This class combines the perspective
of the survivalist with that of the ethnobotanist. A thorough written
summary of local plant uses which we have prepared is included.

*Topics will include:*
Plant Identification
Plants to be used as medicne
Processing edible plants
Making Cordage

Participants will aquire working knowledge of traditional plant uses, long
known to the native Chumash and other indigenous groups who have long
inhabited the area. A great class to hone your permaculture plant knowledge.

*Location
*The course will take place at Malibu Creek State Park, located on 6000
rugged acres in Malibu, just 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles. There are
15 miles of streamside trail through oak and sycamore woodlands an
chaparral-covered slopes. Twenty-five-mile Malibu Creek in the park is the
principal water-course of the Santa Monica Mountains - from Boney Mountain
to Malibu Lagoon. The park was the center of Chumash Native American life
for centuries.

*Course Fees*

   - $68 advanced payment only

*Refund Policy*
Cancellations up to 4 days prior to the class will receive credit for a
class or a 75% refund. If you cancel later than that, you risk loss of your
enrollment fee unless your space can be filled from a wait list.

*How to Apply

*Register directly through Jim and Mary at the EarthSkills
<http://www.earthskills.com/enroll.html>Website.