[Lapg] Permaculturalist Marisha Auerbach in LA

Tyrone LaFay biotribecascadia at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 13:57:06 PDT 2009

Dear Friends,

Coming from my home Bioregion of Cascadia, my good friend Marisha will be offering two workshops while she is in the LA area, August 7th and 8th.  Please see below the details of her offerings and please spread the word to all of your networks.

In Community,
Tyrone LaFay
------------------

Seedsaving as an Activist Practice
with
Marisha Auerbach

Friday, August 7 at 7:30 pm at L.A. Eco-Village

Seedsaving gives us the unique opportunity to dance with life and play a distinct role in our nourishment.  We can nurture plants for the special qualities that may sustain us in an uncertain future.   As corporations attempt to take control of our genetic diversity, seed saving becomes an important political act.  Come join us to learn how you can take responsibility for your own food supply by saving your own seeds from your garden.  We will be discussing harvest of cultivated and native seeds as well as flowers and vegetable crops.  Seed saving is a great localizing buffer against the globalization of our food supply, because it encourages diversity and increases the resilience in our gardens to pests and diseases.

Fee:                     $10 (self selected sliding scale ok)
Reservations:   Required.  Call 213/738-1254 or 323/325-8663 or crsp at igc.org

About Marisha Auerbach

Marisha Auerbach has been practicing, studying, and teaching permaculture in the Pacific Northwest for the past decade. She is involved with many communities around Cascadia including Lost Valley, Tryon Life Community Farm, and City Repair. As an itinerant permaculture designer, Marisha calls the greater Olympia area home, especially the Wild Thyme Farm, a 150 acre permaculture demonstration farm and FSC certified forest in the northern Willapa Hills. Marisha encourages sustainable futures through sharing knowledge with others on a variety of topics including: permaculture, polyculture gardening, flower and gem essences, local economics, community building, ethnobotany, herbalism, edible landscape design, and organic gardening among others. She is enthusiastic about creating perennial forage systems and building local community as a response to peak oil. Marisha's interest in local economics and creating useful items using her resources has manifested as
 several projects: past work on local community marketplaces in Olympia, Queen Bee Flower and Gem Essences, Herb'n Wisdom for permaculture consulting and herbal products, and Growing Greetings which produces plantable greeting cards and other products. Marisha has a small plant nursery which focuses on edible flowersand other gourmet specialty food items. Marisha graduated from the Evergreen State College in 1998 where she focused on ethnobotany, ecological agriculture, and sustainability studies. She continues to interact with students from the Evergreen State College by offering internships. More info athttp://www.herbnwisdom.com/Bio.php

RELATED EVENT AT EDENDALE FARM IN SILVERLAKE, 2131 Moreno Dr.,  Los Angeles 90039

Saturday August 8, 2009 from 9 am to 3 pm.  Directions: See Edendale Farm 90039 at googlemaps.com
Grow Your Own Healing:  Herbal First Aid Kit for Emergencies
with
Marisha Auerbach (see bio above)

Please join us for a workshop to learn about herbal plants to use for first aid.  We will be identifying and planting medicinal herbs that support our immune systems, prevent infection, aid digestion, heal wounds, and nourish our skin.  Afterwards, we will discuss how to craft these herbs into medicinal preparations for first aid kits.  We gather in community to build resilience and inspiration for meeting our needs locally in celebration of the green world.

Fee:                    $30.00 includes hand outs.
Registration:  Advanced registration required. 323/325-8663 and leave message or email David Kahn at david at sustainablehabitats.org

These two events with Marisha Auerbach are co-sponsored with Sustainable Habitats, sponsor of Edendale Farm and Learning Center in the Silverlake neighborhood of Los Angeles, a permaculture demonstration project.

 Tyrone LaFay
Graduate Candidate
Department of Landscape Architecture
College of Environmental Design
Cal Poly Pomona
www.csupomona.edu/~la/
tlafay at villagedesign.org
909.802.9177
EARTHCARE DESIGN SOLUTIONS *** ECOTONES DESIGN GROUP
permaculture and regenerative land-use design & planning