[Lapg] [cityrepairla] methane digesters are the sh...t

Jeremy Drake j_drake at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 20 22:39:23 PDT 2010

Often times the digestate (solids left over after anaerobic digestion)
is land applied as fertilizer as it is very high in potassium as well
as nitrogen (and usually salts too, slightly less appealing).

Other times it’s composted then used as, well compost. This is common
practice in California cities such as Oakland that anaerobically
digests biosolids (poop) at their wastewater treatment plant. As long
as the digester really cooks (131 fahrenheit for 3 days) pathogen kill
is achieved and any “threat” is gone.

In which case I would argue that our excrement makes exactly ZERO
pollution when processed appropriately.

 From California Composting Regulations, Title 14, Division 7, Chapter
3.1:
At enclosed or within-vessel composting process operations and
facilities, active compost shall be maintained at a temperature of 55
degrees Celsius (131 degrees Fahrenheit) or higher for a pathogen
reduction period of 3 days.

Thanks Curtis.

Jeremy

ps - an exciting tangent on the Oakland thing is that they are now co-
digesting commercial food scraps collected by the city in the WWTP
digesters. Now that is some GHG reduction AND methane power!

Note: vegetative food scraps are also very high in nitrogen....