[Lapg] News Story about Joan Stevens/Arcadia teacher struggles to save school permaculture garden

Joan Stevens mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 16 14:11:02 PDT 2013

Hi Lois and all,
We had a meeting this week with the principal that mostly resolved the issue.
He was no more in favor of concrete than I but also was clear that it can't look
as unkempt as it currently does (after 2 years behind construction fencing, and
most of last year of my maternity leave) I shared that with the reporter but it
doesn't come across in the story.

At this point I think we are good - potentially I might seek donations or grant
funds to have La Loma build a new artistically designed fence that would allow
us to save the pond because we need to get rid of the ugly chain link fence
(reporter called it a "red picket fence" but it's really chain link with red in
the slats) that's there now.  The rest (the next phase design of the area) will
be decided by a team of science teachers (including me) working with admin and
the construction liason.  I do have to "give up my garden" and I'm sure it will
look very different than the one that's there now but I'm going to try and save
as many of the fruit trees as possible and the natural feel of the design.  The
giving up is really surrendering it as belonging to me so that my colleagues at
work have some ownership of the area.  That's a good thing!

Thanks,
Joan

 "There is one, and only one, solution, and we have almost no time to try it. We
must turn all our resources to repairing the natural world,and train all our
young people to help. They want to.
We need to give them this last chance to create forests, soils, clean waters,
clean energies, secure communities,stable regions, and to know how to do it from
hands-on experience"
"...the greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even
if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is
enough for everyone.
Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the
very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and
shelter."

- Bill Mollison