[Lapg] Job Op: Just Gardens Program Manager

Devorah Brous devorah.brous at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 12:20:55 PDT 2013

NETIYA

Job Title: Just Gardens Program Manager

Reports to: Executive Director

2014

Salary: $30/hr

Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Netiya is an interfaith network that advances urban agriculture in our
synagogues, schools, and non-profit organizations in Los Angeles. Netiya
cultivates gardens to tithe nutritious food; and organizes community to
seed a more just and resilient food system. We are a network of 32
faith-based institutions with a focus on hunger in LA.

Netiya's Just Gardens program converts unused land at our institutions, and
teaches communities to grow and tithe nutritious food sustainably. Netiya
then trains these communities to sustain Just Gardens from seeding through
tithing. In the process, we are educating our members on permaculture and
gardening, the value of using our network purchasing power to anchor our LA
farmers, and the importance of proactive food relief for underserved in and
around our faith-based institutions.

Only two years old, Netiya has received quite a lot of press and interest
from many high profile institutions in Los Angeles. To meet this demand, we
need the right visionary garden manager to take this fertile ground and
grow it to the next level. If you are passionate about grassroots
institution building, garden building, and community building, apply!

General Summary

The Just Gardens Program Manager is a part-time staff position, with a
desired start date of September 1st. The Program Manager will be the lead
staff member responsible for operations, strategic program development,
grant writing and finance, including developing and managing program
budgets as well as co-creating and delivering educational programming
content. The Program Manager will work closely with Netiya’s Executive
Director, volunteers, interns, and diverse communities to ensure high
quality programming. This position requires a diverse skills-set, and the
most successful candidates with have a strong background in growing food,
experiential education, project management and organizational development.

Duties and Responsibilities

Just Garden Planning, Install, and Sustainability
- Work with clients to determine the scope of work, budget and evaluation
for the project
- Secure contractual relationship with clients
- Perform site visit, evaluate site, collect soil samples, and take
detailed measurements needed to present draft and final garden designs
­- Oversee community garden builds and service days
­- Build out the Netiya curriculum, deliver experiential workshops on
food/faith/sustainability
- Ensure that services meet client needs within budgetary and time
constraints

Development Duties
-Work with the Executive Director to identify foundations for grant
solicitation
-Write and submit grants
-Manage our grant tracking system

Administrative and Program Duties
- Build, adjust and grow the Just Gardens program in response to client and
market needs
­- Develop a Just Gardens Internship, train and manage interns
- Work on strategic marketing initiatives for the program
- Recruitment of new clients and network members

Required Qualifications
-Ability to manage program finances and operations
-5+ years program management experience
-3+ years experience designing and installing urban food production
gardens
-Ability to create a shared vision and manage the systems and processes
necessary to translate vision into practical outcome
-Experience leading spiritual/intentional group work
-Creative, self-motivated, positive, and solution-oriented
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills
-Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
-Excellent initiative and follow-through
-Proven ability to engage large and diverse groups in a community context
-Impeccable attention to detail

To Apply:
Please submit a resume, a brief writing sample on food relief, and two
references to info at netiya.org. Applications must be received by August 15th
to be considered.

Netiya is an Equal Opportunity Employer

--