[Sdpg] Fwd: Water Harvesting Workshops

List Daemon listdaemon at arashi.com
Thu Sep 30 15:29:57 PDT 2010

  FYI
-------- Original Message --------
Hello Water Lovers!  On this beautiful thundery day, I thought it
appropriate to let you know about some upcoming workshops.
Details are below for the following events:

Water Harvesting Open House - Sunday, October 17th
Hands-On Rainwater Tank Installation Workshop - Saturday, October 23
Hands-On Rainwater Harvesting/Tank Installation/Greywater Harvesting
Workshop - Sunday, October 30

Water Harvesting Tour and Short Film Screening
/Sunday, October 17th 10:00AM-11:30AM and 2:00PM-3:30PM/

<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RlHr6JsTtfI/SwxFfZL3MOI/AAAAAAAAAM8/plxMuhU1nDM/s1600/DSCN0589.JPG>

*
*

Come see water harvesting in action! Guided by Water Harvesting
Professional and Permaculturist, Brook Sarson, you'll see how a 1320
gallon rainwater tank combined with laundry greywater and bath greywater
work together to grow a garden of edibles using only 1/4 of the water
that most San Diegans use each day. We will start with a 20 minute short
film, produced by the Surfrider Foundation, called The Cycle of
Insanity: The Real Story of Water. It's excellent and very kid friendly.
Space is limited, so RSVP soon. After the film, about 10:30 and 2:30, we
will take a 45-60 minute tour where you will learn about simple
greywater systems, do-it-yourself options, rainwater-harvesting systems
and resources. You can schedule an appointment with Brook to assess
greywater opportunities at your site. Suggested donation of $5/person
will go toward supporting water activism in San Diego. Please RSVP to
Brook at brook at h2o-me.com <mailto:brook at h2o-me.com> or call 619.964.4838
and I will give you the address.

*/Hands-On Rainwater Tank Installation Workshop/*
Saturday, October 23 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Potluck lunch
Class cost: $40

The rainy season is fast approaching. Now is the time to catch this
precious water resource before it goes down the drain. In this hands-on
workshop, you'll learn about different rain storage options, important
steps to remember when implementing water harvesting strategies and how
to use your stored water. Brook Sarson, water harvesting professional,
with H2OME (www.h2o-me.com <http://www.h2o-me.com>), will walk you
through a 1000 gallon tank installation that was granted to St. David's
Preschool by the Clairemont Town Council.
The class will start with a site introduction, followed by an hour
presentation on rainwater harvesting strategies and considerations. Then
we will discuss the specifics of our site, our materials, and begin work
to dig trenches, and connect our gutter downspouts through filters to
our rainwater tank.

You will walk away from this workshop with enough information to make an
informed decision about the possibilities at your site and install your
own water tank. Plus you'll have access to resources to help you
complete your project.
Class size is limited, so please RSVP soon to Brook at brook at h2o-me.com
<mailto:brook at h2o-me.com>, or call 619.964.4838, to reserve your spot.
Please bring a dish to share for lunch, a shovel and work gloves.

*/Hands-on Rainwater Harvesting/Tank Installation/Greywater Harvesting
Workshop/*
Saturday, October 30 9am-4pm, Lunch provided

Class cost: $50-65, sliding scale

Are you looking forward to the upcoming rainy season so you can harvest
that precious water resource instead of watching it go down the drain?
At this hands-on workshop, you'll learn about different rain storage
options, important steps for water harvesting and how to use your stored
water. Join Brook Sarson, water harvesting professional, with H2OME
(www.h2o-me.com <http://www.h2o-me.com>) at a University Heights home
where she will walk you through a 500 gallon tank installation and a 715
gallon tank installation linking (3) 205 gallon tanks in series. You'll
also learn how to create basins for passive rainwater harvesting.

Are you curious about greywater? Would you like to tap into this gently
used water to grow more for less? On this same day, you can help install
a simple laundry-to-landscape system to water a basin of berry vines. We
will go over the latest greywater policy for San Diego and show you how
to install your own.

The class will start with a site introduction, followed by an hour
presentation on rainwater and greywater harvesting strategies and
considerations. Then we will discuss the specifics of our site, our
materials, and begin to rotate in small groups, installing various parts
of the project.

You will walk away from this workshop with enough information to make an
informed decision about the possibilities at your site. You will also
know how to install your own water tanks or greywater system, and have
access to resources to help you complete your project.

Class size is limited to 15 attendees, so please RSVP soon to Brook at
brook at h2o-me.com <mailto:brook at h2o-me.com>, or call 619.964.4838, to
reserve your spot. Our host will be providing a simple but nourishing
lunch. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.

Brook Sarson
H2OME
Smart Water Savings
619.964.4838